Forums Latest Members

Help Needed. Omega Speedy Pro vs CWC Chronograph

1. Reno7 Oct 9, 2020

Hey guys,

So I have found my daily driver which is about to be bought next week.

It's a vintage Rolex DateJust gray dial with box and papers.

And now, I'm at the crossroad because I need to part ways with one of the watches in order to aquire my everyday piece.

In order to raise funds I need to sell a Speedy Pro or a CWC Chronograph.

Now, both watches are every unique in their own way. Omega because of what it represents and CWC is all in tritium dial, and just when I think how this dial would look in 10-20 years as it would age with me, is something that I can't pass up in my mind.

My Speedy has been redialed by a previous owner during the service, so it has a luminova on the surface.

I would need your advice, which watch would you keep. Is a brand that really important to some of you?

Or do you only look at the watch in a way what it represents and how you feel about it.

Thank you in advance for your comments and support.

Here is a pic of the CWC, the photo of the Speedy I don't have to post, you all know the piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

StudebakerHawk likes this.
  2. Donn Chambers Oct 9, 2020

I offer two thoughts (which you have probably already thought of):

1. That CWC is a limited edition and no longer available, correct? If so, then it may prove difficult to get again if you decide later you should have kept it. Speedmasters are numerous, so you can replace later if you choose.

2. You would likely be able to sell the Speedmaster faster and for more money — it’s just more desirable than the CWC to a larger number of buyers.

Based on those two points, it would seem selling the Speedmaster and keeping the CWC would be the way to go.

3. stuart70 Oct 9, 2020

I agree the CWC is understated and would be quite hard to replace in the future. There are a lot of Speedie pro’s out there.
    I would happily give up a Speedie for that CWC.

Reno7 likes this.
  4. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 9, 2020

Keep the Speedy and sell the CWC to me ;)

Zapatta, Foo2rama and Reno7 like this.
  5. stuart70 Oct 9, 2020

I think that is what we are all hoping.

Reno7 likes this.
  6. Reno7 Oct 9, 2020

Makes sense. It's true, there is a bigger volume of Speedy out there. I bought mine for a very attractive price and now would be making about 500 EUR profit.

7. Reno7 Oct 9, 2020

You are correct. Bought my Sppedie at a very attractive price and now can make about 500 EUR profit. Thank you for an advice.

8. timoss Oct 9, 2020

Is the CWC really that hard to find, though? Looks like there are a bunch out there. I would keep the one that makes you feel the best when you wear it.

Reno7 likes this.
  9. arkman Oct 9, 2020

Agree with the general sentiment, if your Speedy Pro is not unusual or does not have particular sentimental value, would likely sell that first. (But if you instead want to sell the CWC, let the people on this thread, myself included ;) , know.)

Donn Chambers likes this.
  10. Pazzo Oct 9, 2020

I would be very happy with a Speedie Pro and that CWC. That's my answer to you. ;)

Reno7 likes this.
  11. Reno7 Oct 10, 2020

I really like both, but the Speedie wears better I think. The CWC will age gracefully and develop patina. It's a tritium dial.

12. Reno7 Oct 10, 2020

I understand. But, the CWC has fixed lugs, so that means no variety straps in the future.

13. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 10, 2020

Hey great that so many people are rooting for me :D

On a serious note I've owned and sold both watches in question in the past. The Speedy is by far the more versatile watch helped alot by it being a strap monster without the limitation of fixed bars, however the CWC carries far less value but is equally charming and I've always regretted letting mine go way back when they carried far less resale value.

It's a tough choice, out of the two I would probably keep the CWC as it gave me pretty much equal happiness and I've discovered I'm happier with less valuable watches these days, plus I love the brand. But again if you're taking versatility into account it's a no contest, a Speedy could easily be an all occasions(well aside from very formal occasions perhaps) watch but the same could not be said for the CWC.

Good luck with your decision, they're both fantastic watches and I hope to own one of them myself again at some point(the CWC the more likely as I don't think I'll ever spend several thousand on a watch again at this point).

Edited Oct 10, 2020
    Reno7 likes this.
  14. timoss Oct 10, 2020

there is one for sale on OF already if you’re interested...

15. stuart70 Oct 10, 2020

If it had been in the U.K. I would be more temped.

16. Professor Oct 11, 2020

Can't say I know diddly about market value of either watch but if the Broad Arrow mark on the CWC dial indicates military issue I'd think it had more collector interest if not more monetary value.

17. stuart70 Oct 11, 2020

This is a 2003 re-issue piece. The original was issued in the early 1970’s. In the 2000’s the Military were using either Seiko’s or Pulsar’s.

CWC just put the broad arrow on the dial just as Longines and Omega have done.

18. bikeman Oct 11, 2020

I love CWC's. My dad was in the British Army and they were standard issue. It was his day wearer for many years and I always coveted it.

When he went into hospital long term, one day I visited and noticed he was wearing a cheap piece of crap. I very much suspect that someone had swopped the CWC when he'd taken it off and the poor old sod never noticed.

Never saw the CWC again.

And another fun fact for you. When the army left Aden in 1967, my Dad was army quartermaster and he told me that 100's of surplus watches (probably Smiths now I think of it) were deliberately destroyed by a tank running over them. Can't remember why they did this - maybe they just didn't have room on the planes for everything, maybe I never asked, maybe he just made it up.

Edited Oct 11, 2020
  19. Reno7 Oct 11, 2020

nnn'"

20. Reno7 Oct 11, 2020

Interesting story, and thank you for sharing.

I assume your father was issued a G10 watch by CWC?
    As the chrono were not originally issued to armed forces, I believe.

Yeah I really like that piece and having a tritium dial, the watch will age gracefully along with me. It's really hard to let it go. There aren't too many watches with a tritium dial especially for that price.