Forums Latest Members

Help needed determining authenticity of a speedmaster day date!

1. olli.suortti Jan 6, 2017

Hi,

I am considering a trade between my current watch and this one. However this would be my first Omega, so I am not really an expert yet.

Could someone who knows about these watches give some thoughts of anything that might look out of place or suspicious. Any help is greatly appreciated. The seller told me that the bracelet is from another speedy, so that should be of no concern.

Sorry if the thread is on a wrong forum or something, again I am a new member.

BR,

Olli

20161128_220238.png 20161128_232545.jpg 20161128_232602.jpg 20161128_232611.jpg 20161128_235637.png
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 6, 2017

low quality pics, and the watch appears to be a bit tired, but I see nothing that would say its fake. That is an Omega Service/Travel pouch, and the watch has some damage to it at the 8 o clock and the bezel looks slightly misaligned. Without a picture of the inside of the caseback I cannot tell you how old it is other then it was introduced in 1997. The serial number should be on the outside of the caseback and match the movement. It is not the correct bracelet for the watch, but it works on it. Technically that bracelet is for a Speedmaster reduced, and this watch should have a 1563/850 or 1562/850 bracelet. My feeling is that the endlinks on the watch right now may not be a perfect fit, I think the mk40 and reduced had slightly different cases.

http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-day-date-mk40/

That link should give you some ideas on how to search for other prices. Great condition goes for $2,000 or less if you hunt a bit, this one is considerably less. It is also a 39mm watch while a Moonwatch Professional is a 42mm watch, and these do tend to wear a bit small for some guys. There are more then a few variations of the dial out there.

Edited Jan 6, 2017
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 6, 2017

Yep, a bit tatty and grubby that one. Unless it is cheap, ie at around $1000 or so I would look for another since to make it really nice may take a new bezel and possibly crystal which wont leave much change from $600-750 at a guess

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. olli.suortti Jan 6, 2017

Hi, tanks for the great answers guys! Padders, the price is about 1k usd. I think I'm gonna go for it. Just looking for a good beginners omega really. Can you tell me where on the movement the serial number is located?

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 6, 2017

OK so the price isn't too bad, if the crystal is clear of damage that isn't bad at all since a bezel is maybe $200-300 tops. On a model that recent the serial should be both on the lugs and on the movement as Foo says above, if you can't see it on either then that means it has been removed which is not good news. I can't see it in the pictures but they aren't great resolution anyhow so it could be there. If there is no serial anywhere then I personally wouldn't touch the watch. It can mean that it was sold by a grey dealer (not a bad thing at all) or it can mean it is stolen, figuring out which isn't easy.

6. olli.suortti Jan 6, 2017

Ok, thanks again! Where on the lugs and movement should the serial number be? I think I'll have to ask the seller to send pictures of those areas.

Br, Olli

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 6, 2017

Should be laser inscribed into the rear of the lug, it is bottom right on the Speedmaster I am wearing today as you look at the case back but it may vary. Not sure where it is on that movement but if it is there it should be prominent and if it has been removed it will be obvious as there will be an area where the decoration has been messed up when it was dremelled off. I know some Speedmaster Reduced modular movement models don't have the numbers on the movement but that one is a 7753 derived movement so AFAIK does have a number on there from the factory. Happy to be corrected though.

8. olli.suortti Jan 6, 2017

Thanks a lot mate!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 6, 2017

That appears to be a 35205000.

Bit of misinformation in this thread. The serial number on this watch will be engraved on the case back, not on the lugs - see picture below:

[​IMG]

These can wear away or be refinished away pretty easily, so you want to make sure you can read it. The reason is because there is no serial number on the movement - Cal. 1151 is not a chronometer and I've never seen one with a serial number. If there is no serial number on the case or movement, Omega will refuse to service it. That isn't a complete catastrophe by any means, as plenty of watchmakers can service this movement, but it does remove one major service provider and may affect resale value if that's important.

Cheers, Al

olli.suortti and STANDY like this.
  10. olli.suortti Jan 6, 2017

Hi,

Thanks for replying. This seems to be the case regarding this particular watch. I've also asked around from different people And the general concensus seems to be that it is authentic. So thanks to all of you, I now feel comfortable buying the watch.

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 6, 2017

Well I did say I was happy to be corrected. Good job really!