Forums Latest Members

Help, need info on an old omega watch called the "dulcimer"

1. jsalasrush Feb 8, 2017

I know it's called the "dulcimer".

Aside from that I haven't seen absolutely no info, or previous sells on the internet.

It's cal 302... i know it's not a rare calibre for the time.

It is stamped as 18k gold, bracelet I don't know if it's original omega or not.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

IMG_4079.JPG IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4082.JPG
  2. Canuck Feb 8, 2017

Dulcimer? You got me on that. Anyone know? The bracelet has the appearance of an after market product. Can you show the quality mark and trade mark, likely on the buckle?

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 8, 2017

I've never heard it called a "Dulcimer", which is more associated with music. Its a men's dress watch from the late Fifties with a robust cal 302 hand wind movement. Nothing much to tell, apart from the bracelet being aftermarket. Nice case style though.

Postscript: Just checked the OVDB and it is called an "Other" , a descriptive term used by Omega boffins when a watch is not something else :)

4. pippy Feb 8, 2017

5. jsalasrush Feb 9, 2017

This is where I get the dulcimer name.

I appreciate the help. It's been a watch that's been in the family since forever.

IMG_4103.JPG
  6. DON Feb 9, 2017

All the info you need is in the catalog info link you posted.

The watch has value. Non brand name bracelets are usually bought for a spot over scrap gold value (although never scrapped)

Has nice Dauphin pitched hands

Remove the bracelet and add a nice slim lizard or alligator strap and you have a nice dress/work watch. Store the bracelet

DON

Mac5 and Foo2rama like this.
  7. jsalasrush Feb 9, 2017

Thank you all, I've been considering if its worth it getting it restored.

Still on the fence.

Y'all been truly helpful.

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 9, 2017

Yes I suspect Marco Richon applied a little poetic licence in the description. I've never seen any advertising over the years marketing a Dulcimer, and I've sen a lot. But, who knows?

9. tamura Feb 9, 2017

10. dialstatic Feb 10, 2017

Yes, I suspect (also from the way the ad was worded) that dulcimer was not it's name, but rather a metaphor to describe the case shape. Like 'cushion case' or 'tonneau'. If you look at the instrument, it makes sense: the watch has a similarly tapering or trapezoid shape.

Good looking watch. Would look handsome on a nice leather strap. I'd certainly have it serviced.

jsalasrush and tamura like this.