Forums Latest Members
  1. PhilipJ Aug 17, 2017

Can you help me identify this watch please? I think it is the most handsome watch I have ever seen and would like to know more about it. This is a watch I own, an inheritance from an uncle who bought it in Nigeria in the late 1940s ( I think '47 or '48). He was working there on a civil engineering project and I understand he bought it as an 'export model' specifically made for overseas markets. He bought 2 watches, this one plus another which had a smaller (sub-second?) dial which he gave to his brother. No documentation still exists. I cannot find an image of this model anywhere on the internet despite extensive searching, although I once took it into a London watch repairer 20+ years ago who said it was reasonably rare and was probably an early Seamaster model, but it obviously has no Seamaster lettering in the usual positions. It has the 'bumper' sound and action and is an automatic winder, but again no indication of this as on later models. Case is steel - hands, 12/3//6//9 and hour markers are in gold and the face is a sort of light grey 'mother of pearl' colour. Watch went for a clean up 10+ years ago as it was stopping occasionally despite being worn but all paper work has since been misplaced or lost. From memory no indication of age or model was given. The glass crown and winder were replaced as the original was scratched and supposedly the winder was damaged (but I didn't get the original back which annoyed me a lot as I did not want to lose it!). Original strap replaced a long time ago. Works perfectly now although I rarely wear it, but would like to wear more hence my interest in it. I am not interested in value as it is not for sale, but would be interested in comments about a value for insurance purposes. Any help you can give gratefully received. Thanks.

Omega back.JPG Omega front.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 17, 2017

Have a watchmaker open it up. Take photos of all the numbers on the movement and the numbers inside the case back. That will allow us to tell you more about it.

PhilipJ likes this.
  3. BenBagbag Aug 17, 2017

It has been redialed. The inside will tell you about when it was made, but the watch didn't always look exactly like this. It could very well be that the same hardware was used. Based on case and crown (and maybe hardware if it was same that came with the watch) I believe this watch is from the 50's...

Temprus and PhilipJ like this.
  4. PhilipJ Aug 18, 2017

Thanks for your replies. I will find a watchmaker and get the numbers inside and repost.

5. PhilipJ Aug 18, 2017

I take 'redialed' to mean a new base for the numbers to sit on (the 'mother of pearl colour' as I describe it?). And hardware? Meaning the hands and the numbers? They all appear exactly as the watch was when I received it, although the Omega logo may have changed to gold (from black) during the clean up process. I am pretty sure it was bought in the '40s but the numbers inside will tell us, hopefully.

Thanks.

6. Timmert Aug 18, 2017

Yep!
    It can be a complete new (different from original) dial with new numbers/markers, or a refurbished replacement, etcetera.

7. PhilipJ Nov 20, 2018

I've just found this which I think relates to this watch! It maybe that it relates to the second watch I mentioned in the OP, but I found it in my late uncle's belongings. If so then this watch is serial number 13148145. Does this help anyone identify the model more?

IMG_3648.JPG IMG_6198.JPG
  8. Willem023 Nov 20, 2018

Not unless you post some pics of the inside....

:rolleyes:

9. Davidt Nov 20, 2018

It's unlikely to be a model such as Seamaster, Constellation, DeVille etc. It will simply be an Omega watch with a reference number.

You should have the case opened by someone who's competent to get the serial no (hopefully it matches the certificate as that's a nice addition), check for any issues with the movement and make a note of the reference. You can then search that ref no to find other examples and get an idea of value.

Willem023 likes this.
  10. Willem023 Nov 20, 2018

Although the dial furniture looks quite a lot like my Seamaster ref 2766. Dial redone most likely, in OP's case.
    Edit: the redone is supported by the lack of lumen in the hour markers.

Mine for reference with a 344 inside
    Schermafbeelding 2016-11-21 om 18.45.03.png

Edited Nov 20, 2018
    Davidt likes this.
  11. Rochete Nov 20, 2018

Nice papers!