Forums Latest Members
  1. JesperSelmann Jul 4, 2016

Hi guys!
    I have spend several of months of looking through the internet to find my first vintage Omega, but havn't had any luck. So i was hoping that some one in here could give me some ideas.

Things i'd like for my vintage:
    - I'd like a white/champagne dial
    - With gold numbers and gold case (doesn't have to be solid gold)
    - And then with a brown wristband (could of cause always be bought separately)
    - Have to show date
    - Be minimum 36-37 in diameter

Please help me guys!

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 4, 2016

Watch the OF Private Watch Sales forum.

3. WatchmakerTheory Jul 4, 2016

The private sales forum is a great place, but I've found that it's mostly for more-experienced buyers and sellers. For a first vintage watch, you may be better suited by Ebay. Check out the "Ebay deals" thread in the vintage watch forum. You can also look on ebay yourself and find a watch that suits your tastes and price, but make sure to post here before you buy so that you don't accidentally get ripped off!

4. JesperSelmann Jul 4, 2016

5. ConElPueblo Jul 4, 2016

I think that the 37mm stated are including the crown... AFAIK this is a 34mm piece.

Your 36-37mm requirement fits pretty good for the early manual Seamasters or the non-branded versions in the same series. I have a few and at 36mm they are very inexpensive and can be found in a large number:

DSC_0085.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

There are a huge variety of dials and as you see they come in gold cap as well. The movement is great, too :thumbsup:

EDIT: Didn't see the date requirement. Never mind me ::facepalm2::

If you really need a date window, your options are much fewer...

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jul 4, 2016

Wanted to add:

- where do you live?
    - how big a budget do you have?
    - what does "vintage" mean to you? 1950s? 1960?
    - any specific case styles you like/disklike?

7. JesperSelmann Jul 4, 2016

I live in Denmark, my budget is up to around 800£ max 1.000£ if it's really nice
    I really like the watches from the 60's and case styles, i'm not really sure what to call them, but i like them simple, like the black watch you sent, and like the one i posted earlier ::popcorn::

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 4, 2016

I think maybe vintage watches are not for you...

ulackfocus likes this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 4, 2016

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 4, 2016

I think you have it backwards.

Garv, dougiedude, Archer and 2 others like this.
  11. JaguarMiked Jul 5, 2016

Sorry. I'm new to both this site and to forums in general. I don't know what a PM system is. Please feel free to delete my posts. No offence was intended.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2016

See the envelope at the top right of page. Click on it for PM, Private Message, access.

JaguarMiked likes this.
  13. JaguarMiked Jul 5, 2016

I feel so old ...

14. blubarb Jul 5, 2016

You're only as old as the watch you feel...:rolleyes:

JaguarMiked likes this.
  15. blubarb Jul 5, 2016

Btw, a nice Omega DeVille from early 1960s with a date function - you won't regret it.

JaguarMiked likes this.
  16. JaguarMiked Jul 5, 2016

Hi!
    I'm also a new collector (and new to the forum).
    eBay has an excellent little essay on how to spot Omega fakes. It covers things that you should be able to see in pictures. (Just google eBay Omega fake - it should come up).
    Go look at some vintage Omegas in real life (not pics). They are truly beautiful watches and pictures don't do them justice. You may find that your original criteria falls by the wayside when you see one up close.

Good luck!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  17. ericf4 Jul 5, 2016

I have yet to dip my toe into the vintage pond, I feel like i need to understand more about that segment before making the plunge. Incredible how much knowledge there is out there as to vintage dos and fonts etc, I need a crash course. :)

JaguarMiked likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2016

The minimum size requirement of 36 / 37 mm or more, plus a date feature, lead me to agree with this post:

Maybe you should look at modern reissues. Longines makes a few nice ones that aren't too expensive and meet your criteria, particularly the Legend Diver. I think there's a Conquest date that's 36 or 37 mm too.

JaguarMiked likes this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 5, 2016

I don't know about that. There are some older Omegas that meet that criterion, particularly the Ref. 2505. You might have to look awhile to find a nice one with an original dial. Most have been botched up in some manner.

But to the OP, since you are limiting your self somewhat to very few vintage watches. I would recommend the following:

1. Go to your local Rolex dealer.
    2. Try on a modern new or used Rolex Air-King. These have been the same for 50 years and run around 34-35mm.
    3. Then tell us you need a 37mm vintage watch.

Let us know.
    gatorcpa

JaguarMiked likes this.
  20. fjf Jul 5, 2016