Forums Latest Members

Help me compare an apple & an orange? - AT Golf & London 2012

1. Annapolis Jun 23, 2020

Let me acknowledge at the outset what an odd comparison this is. About the only thing these two pieces have in common is the pre-owned prices I've found, and the fact that they're both limited in production (but even there, differences exist.) One is certainly more dressy; the other sporty.

This is a gift consideration; we want to pick something special that will (hopefully) last a long time and retain much of its value or even increase, though I know such hopes are hard to realize and value is hard to predict.

Option 1 is the 2012 London Seamaster reissue.

Option 2 is the Garcia Aqua Terra Golf edition (the new black/green one with the date at 6, the teak lines horizontal, and the 8900 movement.

Both can be had for just under 4k, the latter for less than the former.

I can see pros and cons for each.

The London watch is certainly more rare, with only 1,948 produced. That alone could mean a greater chance of residual value down the line. It's very elegant, and it has the gold medallion back, which is great, though that could also be seen as a con since the movement isn't visible. It’s older tech--basically a modification of the 2500 movement. Still robust, co-axial, chronometer quality. It's all very understated and retro.

The Golf watch is far more interesting to look at, I suppose: it has the green accents, the patterning on the dial, which is super attractive (I think), the date complication, and the clear caseback. It's also a little bigger than the London watch, but I actually think both are sized right for the intended. Maybe the biggest pro with this one is that fact that it's the newer movement, which is a master chrono, very antimagnetic, has a better reserve, and, as I'm learning, still easy to purchase pre-owned with time remaining on the factory warranty.

Just wondering: if you were in the (bizarre) position of weighing these two against one another, what other considerations would you have, and how might you decide? Assuming both watches are aesthetically pleasing to you, which one would you imagine will have greater value ten or twenty years from now? My instincts tell me it's probably always a better bet to go with a numbered limited edition, but I also wonder if that's a trap sometimes---a gimmick. Especially if it's a LE connected to an event few will care about down the road...

Images are not mine; just web-searched. Always helps to have ready visuals!

London.jpg Golf.jpg
    Edited Jun 23, 2020
  2. mcemeren Jun 24, 2020

Considering the choice is limited to these two models, I would pick the first one because I don't like the color combination of AT. I would love to see a black-orange combo :) Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 2.18.57 PM.jpg

3. Annapolis Jun 24, 2020

I agree—black orange would be amazing!

4. tikkathree Jun 24, 2020

Oh golly!
    Who likes one or the other?
    Which might have better resale say five or ten years along when you might just have an itch to scratch?
    My choice would suit me, it's not relevant to you.
    Pays yer money, takes yr choice.
    Good luck choosing.

Annapolis likes this.
  5. Wetworks Jun 24, 2020

The London Seamaster is a beautiful watch, but it's not my cup of tea. So the AT Golf gets my vote.

Annapolis likes this.
  6. Annapolis Jun 24, 2020

Appreciate the feedback. To be clear, I do get that personal taste is highly subjective—hence “assuming both watches are aesthetically pleasing to you” in my op. Guess what I’m asking is if you set aside that subjective criteria, what else would you consider when making this choice? Factors like $ appreciation over time (insofar as that’s predictable), serviceability down the road, etc.

But I also understand that this is kind of an impossible question to answer. I’m just curious to know how other folks would go about making a decision like this, if they had to.

7. Wetworks Jun 24, 2020

Aesthetic plays into any appreciation/collectibility, so leaving it out of an assessment for that isn't practical. Furthermore, I don't see either of these watches being particularly collectible, especially the AT. Maybe the London edition has some desirability due to the fact that it's not something you see everyday, but almost two thousand pieces on a non-precious metal watch isn't going to have people knocking down doors to acquire it.

I can't speak to the service aspect of them, but I do remember seeing something about certain model ATs having an issue with the hour(?) hand. The 2500 is a solid movement, but it too had issues in certain variants.

My advice to you is to buy what you like first and foremost. When you start getting caught up in vagaries like future worth it unnecessarily complicates things.

Annapolis likes this.
  8. Peter_from_NL Jun 24, 2020

It is all about taste. Impossible to say. They key thing is the taste of the person receiving this......

And future value wise I think the First Seamaster. But don’t call me on that in a few years!

Annapolis likes this.