Forums Latest Members
  1. mikeestreets Apr 3, 2018

Dear all,

First off, I would like to thank you all for your contribution to Omegaforums. The site is an invaluable research tool most of all for us, the newbies in collecting Omega watches.

I am posting here because I need help to chose between two Omega vintage pieces. I am looking to buy my first Omega and for my budget I found locally an Omega Automatic from 1954 (based on the serial number) and one with a 266 calibre from the same year. I like the Automatic better because it is also waterproof, which is good because I am planning to wear the watch daily. But I am afraid the dial might have been repainted for it looks to good for its age.

What do you think based on the images attached? Which should I get? Does any of them look suspicious? Are they all original? Is neither of them?

Thank you all for your imput!

01.jpeg 02.jpeg 03.jpeg 04.jpeg 05.jpeg 06.jpeg
    WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 3, 2018

I think 1 is indeed a redial, the track isn’t fully aligned with the markers. Don’t presume you can make a watch that age waterproof, you can’t always.

3. mikeestreets Apr 3, 2018

For me the „made” in Swiss Made looks wrong. Thanks for the help

4. Henneth Apr 3, 2018

1. Watch: Redial
    - Look at the minute markers, especially the distance between the minute markers and the hour markers
    - small seconds hand too long
    - Look at the positioning of the seconds markers
    etc etc

2. Watch: 99% a redial as well but better photos would help

5. mikeestreets Apr 3, 2018

I'll ask for better photos. So far, it would seem that I should stay away from both.

6. amanson Apr 3, 2018

I cannot speak to authenticity, but would not get any vintage watch wet.