Forums Latest Members
  1. Domingo2019 Dec 8, 2019

Hello all,

I've been dreaming of a vintage Seamaster to wear everyday for a very long time. I can now afford my favorite 60's model but I am an absolute beginner in the watchmaking world, which seems very prone to scam and overpricing. I know nothing about what to check on a vintage watch nor what servicing an antique means regarding how many years of life that kind of watch has left.

I spotted this one from a seemingly trustable seller on the bay:
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/143316345140?ul_noapp=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

£695

It's my favorite model and the replacement strap looks great to me so it's overall pretty attractive. The price seems a little high to me regarding the fact that the watch has a lot of scraches and some rusting inside the case but does the model justify it?

What are you connoisseurs' opinions about this watch?

Thank you for your help!

Edited Dec 8, 2019
  2. Jokr Dec 8, 2019

posted some pictures for you, the link might not work in the future.

s-l1600-18.jpg s-l1600-19.jpg s-l1600-20.jpg s-l1600-21.jpg s-l1600-22.jpg

3. Domingo2019 Dec 8, 2019

You're right! Thank you for taking the time to do so

4. Rochete Dec 8, 2019

Bad redial. Crown looks dubious, perhaps that's why it isn't properly shown. Laughably overpriced, if you're even considering paying that much for such a piece of crap I suggest you to have a look at the Private Sales subforum here, plenty of honest pieces on sale.

Mac5 likes this.
  5. Jokr Dec 8, 2019

Looking at the watch the font seems to be off. you might want to avoid it

6. Domingo2019 Dec 8, 2019

That what my intuition told me.. Thanks for your feedback, I will definitely check the sales section of the forum

7. Domingo2019 Dec 8, 2019

Thank you, I'm glad I posted here

8. Edward53 Dec 8, 2019

Welcome from a fellow Brit who also likes the Seamasters of this era. Unfortunately this one, as has been pointed out above, is a bit of a shocker with that bad redial and replaced crown. There's no side on shot of the crown so I can't even tell if it's actually an Omega service crown, but it certainly did not start life together with that watch.

I don't know that seller so can't comment on their knowledge or integrity, but here are a couple of observations:
    That person has numerous watches for sale so they should know their stuff. I've just looked at several of them and they are all redials in the exact same wrong font. What does that tell you?
    Read descriptions very carefully. If they don't explicitly state that a dial is original and unrefinished, be doubly alert.
    The same applies when a picture of something important is absent, in this case the logo on the crown. But as mentioned, this is not the crown you'd want anyway even if it is genuine Omega, as it's the wrong style.
    It is dangerous to assume a seller is "trustworthy" from their feedback. Input from experienced collectors with no axe to grind is a much better guide.
    There aren't many vintage bargains to be had from business sellers, most of whom I'd give a wide berth to.

Domingo2019 likes this.
  9. Domingo2019 Dec 8, 2019

Thanks a lot for the detailed informations Edward, I will document myself more before buying.

10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 8, 2019

Thought from the thread title that this was a crowdfunding request ;)
    Good luck with your search