Forums Latest Members

Help: Japan Racing or blue Snoopy????

1. WatchWalker Aug 10, 2018

Hi OF, I am in the "making up my mind purchase process" of another Speedy but can't come to a conclusion. Therefore I am calling in your help for some advice and relevant comments. Both options are from 2003 but are very very different. One is the Japan Racing, the other one the blue Snoopy. I see plusses and minuses for each of them and if I had the resources I would simply both as they are so different. But I haven't. Here are the circumstances that are relevant to my decision:
    - both pieces are immediate available at a reliable source I have in Japan;
    - price is almost identical (Snoopy slightly more expensive);
    - both come as full set but red leather box of Japan Racing has peeled off a bit;
    - Snoopy was numbered and made in 5441 pieces, Japan Racing was not numbered and only 2004 made;
    - I already own Silver Snoopy and TinTin;
    - Ultraman is arriving soon (matches well with Japan Racing);
    - bracelet on Japan Racing misses two links so I made need to source at least one to match my wrist, although I don't wear steel bracelets often

Here below are also two pics of the actual watches. Condition of both is mint so that is no decisive factor either.

Any wise words, suggestions, advice, considerations,... are more than welcome.

Cheers, Watchwalker

IMG_9922.jpg IMG_9921.jpg

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 10, 2018

Buy the one you feel you'll be wearing most :thumbsup:

I did wear the hell out of my Japan Racing before I sell it to a fellow member here. I still love this watch, for me it's maybe the most attractive modern (superluminova) Speedmaster, for sure in my Top3. I don't regret it exactly because I have worn it so much before I let it go elsewhere.

IMG_9690.jpg

Attention, for me the Japan Racing should come in a wooden box like this :

Beautiful Omega Watch Box in Solid Wood-No Reserve.jpg

Make the right choice ;)

3. queriver Aug 10, 2018

Japan Racing for me. It has some similarity to Ultraman but the same can be said for the Snoopy in comparison with any other Speedy with a black dial. I wouldn't worry about the condition of the JR's red box because you can easily pick up a good one on ebay. My JR came in a red box and I subsequently found a wooden one from Japan on ebay. You'll need to be patient but they come up. The JR was originally sold with either the red or wooden box, according to MWO. Extra links for the JR can be easily sourced. There were more Snoopy's issued so buying the JR now and leaving the Snoopy for the future may be better than doing it the other way round. You can't go wrong with either of them though.

speedy_tc, Foo2rama, Mopet and 3 others like this.
  4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Aug 10, 2018

Also confirming that the Japan Racing could originally be supplied with either type of box, depending on Dealer. Regarding your concern about the bracelet, this watch looks even better on a strap - the first thing I did when I got mine was to put it on a Hirsch:
    Sm09-09-16b.jpg

ptfly, Watchmutt, tritto and 6 others like this.
  5. boogedyboo Aug 10, 2018

I would definitely go for the Japan Racing dial. It looks better to me, comes in more limited numbers and is a Japan-only model.

queriver and WatchWalker like this.
  6. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Aug 10, 2018

Another vote for the racing! Its older brother:

IMG_20180724_200759_076.jpg

ptfly, Flotho, Watchmutt and 24 others like this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 10, 2018

Pun and Dero13 like this.
  8. arcadelt Aug 10, 2018

For me, the fact that it has an older brother is the reason I would chose the Japan Racing. BTW, JR is from 2004, not 2003, and it is very important to check its authenticity as there are an awful of redialled 3570.50 floating around out there.

frazierspa, Paedipod, Mopet and 2 others like this.
  9. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Aug 10, 2018

Another vote for the Japan Racing, and yes it looks amazing on the Hirsch Robby!

10. WatchWalker Aug 10, 2018

Can only put one like under that picture. But I can leave a ton of awesomeness here!!!!

Pun and Dero13 like this.
  11. teojjsg Aug 10, 2018

This is in a totally different league.

Tet and Pun like this.
  12. Delbok Aug 10, 2018

Japan Racing forever
    the older brother is absolutely lovely !

Pun likes this.
  13. queriver Aug 10, 2018

Because you said you don't wear bracelets so often, here are some strap options for the JR. Apologies for the poor lighting.
    L->R:
    Hirsch Andy
    NATO - from Cheapest NATO straps
    Hirsch Robby
    jean paul menicucci (JPM) Racing strap
    Grey perlon - no brand
    Black/orange racing strap - no brand

I'm always on the Hirsch Robby but wanted to try for a more vintage look and just got the JPM but am yet to put it on.

IMG_2572 - Copy.jpg

14. Delbok Aug 10, 2018

Very good taste !! What's the size of the bracelet ?

15. queriver Aug 10, 2018

Not sure what you mean by the question. The lug width is 20mm but you know that. The strap lengths are all standard. I think some Hirsch's might come in short or long versions but I don't require them.

16. Delbok Aug 10, 2018

Indeed, half of the sentence was missing sorry, I was wondering the length about the Jean-Paul Menicucci strap but no worries I will look for it

Anyway, it looks the Japan Racing dial is winning by far :p

17. queriver Aug 10, 2018

No problem. JPM length buckle side incl buckle = 86mm; other side = 116mm. As mentioned that's presumably their standard lengths but you'll be able order to your requirement.

Delbok likes this.
  18. Reborn Aug 10, 2018

Japan Version

19. sgrossma Aug 10, 2018

Japan over the old snoopy. And less than half as many made!

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2018

But both worth the same values roughly... Go figure.