Forums Latest Members
  1. ducatiti Sep 29, 2019

So I have just spoken to my dad. He is not a watch enthusiast by any means but he told me that he has a couple of Omega's that are more than 50 years old.

Can someone help identify them and do we have hopes of restoring them? Any value in these?

Below are pictures he sent me.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dan S Sep 29, 2019

I was excited to read that you got these from your Dad, but my heart sank a bit when I saw the photos. Both have major dial problems, which makes restoration more challenging. :(

The first one is badly damaged, and the second has apparently been repainted (note the gap between the "M" and "E" in Omega). So restoration would require dial refinishing in both cases. We can only know if it makes sense to make that investment if we can see the condition of the rest of the watches.

However, if they have major sentimental value, and money is not an issue, then I suspect they can be restored.

Mark020, DaveK and Benbradstock like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 29, 2019

Both will obviously need restoring and you will be amazed at the difference if it's done correctly.

The C case Constellation looks OK but the only way to identify for sure (and determine if it's worth restoring) is to get pics of the casebacks and the movements.

Don't let your Dad do the photography ;).

DaveK and Benbradstock like this.
  4. ducatiti Sep 29, 2019

Thank you guys. I didn't even notice the "M" and "E" on the constellation. Can either of these be possibly fake?

I will ask for better pictures to include the casebacks.

5. ducatiti Sep 29, 2019

Also are these both Solid Gold cases? Sorry but really don't know anything about vintage Omega.

6. Dan S Sep 29, 2019

I don't have any reason to think that they're fake, but the Seamaster dial has probably been repainted. (It's the Seamaster that has the funny OMEGA logo, not the Constellation.)

It's hard to tell if they are solid gold from those photos alone. Photos from the back could help, and the insides of the case-backs would definitely have that information.

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. ducatiti Sep 29, 2019

More pics herewith..

IMG_3967.JPG IMG_3966.JPG IMG_20190930_111351.jpg
  8. Dan S Sep 29, 2019

I think the Seamaster is "gold-capped", which is a thick layer of gold over stainless. The tip-off is that the underlying stainless steel is visible on the back of the lugs. It's much better than gold-plated or gold-filled.

The Constellation is solid gold. There is actually a hallmark on the back of the lug (the upper right lug, which is upper left in the photo of the back), but it's very small and slightly out of focus.

Edited Sep 29, 2019
  9. nicks Oct 1, 2019

I think that the Constellation is worth saving. It is called a C-case and is from the 1970s, not that common in solid gold. Even if it needs many replacement parts and some investment, it will make a nice watch. Likely the need for replacement parts will mean it won't be a true collector piece, but a great watch to wear.

The Seamaster is unfortunately is not worth spending money on. Some value as a parts watch, I'd say.

That's my two cents. Cheers,