Help Identifying Vintage Omega

Hello,

I'm trying to identify a watch model/year. I think it is from 1958, but have yet to see a similar watch to this one. I inherited it from my grandfather. He got it from a his job so the company logo shows up on the watch face. I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can. IMG_0559.jpegThank you for your time.

Joshua

IMG_0557.jpegIMG_0566.jpegIMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0566.jpegIMG_0557.jpeg

I'm trying to identify a watch model/year. I think it is from 1958
If you google Omega 196.0080, which is the reference number, you will find some info, like this:

It was made in 1977.

This is an early quartz. I have been finding a lot of fun in working with these. The movement family is 1342. Hard to make out the movement number in the photo. I think the Day/Date is 1345 or 1346.

The stepping motors can be troublesome to replace when they fail. Some say the microchips are hard to find. Many of these were service presentation award watches, so they turn up regular on the online auction sites.

Finding one without a corporate logo is rare.

As such, they do not have much value. Sometimes they are real gold in which case they are worth melt value. Since the back on this example is stainless, This is probably plated or capped.

The movements are mostly worth the price of the motor. I found one in the origional service part box. I wanted the box as much as the motor. Sadly the motor was bad. But still useful to understand how these are put together.

In theory the microchip can be replaced with a modern programmable one. The issue is the voltages are not the same.

These were designed to work with mercury oxide batteries what are no longer sold. There are similar silver oxide batteries, what have a higher voltage and need an adapter ring. Which can sometimes include a voltage dropping diode.

Unlike modern quartz these are closer to a mechanical in build quality, and are cleaned much the same way. Most watchmakers though are not willing to do this work. One also needs a static electricity free workbench and microelectronic skills.

These watches also have a suprising heft to them. As a family herloom, it is hard to beat such a watch.

I think they derserve a lot more respect than many people give them.