Help identifying this watch I inherited from my grandfather.

Hello everyone,

I wondered if you could help me identify this manual Omega wristwatch I inherited from my grandfather. I had commented on it once or twice over the years and it seemed that he decided to pass it on to me. I'm very touched and wish he had told me of his intentions so I could have asked him more about it's history.

I am considering asking for the numbers and hands to be restored slightly so that I can read the watch in low light. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether that would be a good idea or not, as the few people I have asked so far have just looked at me in shock that I would even consider it! But I feel that this will be a watch I wear and potentially pass on to my children, so I'm not really worried about it's "value" right now. In the same vain I am considering engraving my grandfather's initials on the back plate with his DOB-DOD with space underneath for mine as well.

I will likely bring it in to an Omega outlet in London to get it serviced and ask if they can shed some more light on it, I will update this post once I know more. If there is any more info I can provide then please do let me know, it is my first post here so I hope I have done OK.

TIA
Edited:

Sorry about the size of the photos! I've tried hosting them and changing them but the links don't seem to work from IMGUR

Photos aren't showing.

Copy them to your desktop.

Reply to this thread.

At the bottom, select Add Photos.

Select your photos. After they load to this page, Insert Photos.

Photos aren't showing.

Copy them to your desktop.

Reply to this thread.

At the bottom, select Add Photos.

Thank you! I have now added them, but they are huge!

Sorry about the size of the photos! I've tried hosting them and changing them but the links don't seem to work from IMGUR

Don't use imgur etc. Just have the pics on your desktop. Size them if necessary to 1024 or close to that.

Back on track.
Looks like a very nice vintage Omega on a Bonklip bracelet. The numerals have been re-lumed at some stage, but the hands look to be original.

Everything else looks to be original, but I'm not sure of the reference.

Let's know where you are in the world and our other members can suggest appropriate remedial actions.

Back on track.
Looks like a very nice vintage Omega on a Bonklip bracelet. The numerals have been re-lumed at some stage, but the hands look to be original.

Everything else looks to be original, but I'm not sure of the reference.

Let's know where you are in the world and our other members can suggest appropriate remedial actions.

I am just outside of London in the UK. My grandfather grew up in Putney. I am not sure if this watch was his fathers or not, I seem to remember him mentioning something along those lines. I do wish I could have spoken with him more in general, fortunately he also left me a trunk full of photos from WW2 that he kept from his first job working with the newspapers. It really was a different world back then. Any insights into this little piece of his life will be greatly appreciated.

I will likely bring it in to an Omega outlet in London to get it serviced and ask if they can shed some more light on it, I will update this post once I know more. If there is any more info I can provide then please do let me know, it is my first post here so I hope I have done OK.

Omega in Central London won't know what to do with it, except possibly to recommend a service.

Best thing is to contact Simon Freese, who used to run the workshop for Omega's servicing in the South-East. He has his own workshop near Southend now and services a lot of watches for forum members. http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

Omega in Central London won't know what to do with it, except possibly to recommend a service.

Best thing is to contact Simon Freese, who used to run the workshop for Omega's servicing in the South-East. He has his own workshop near Southend now and services a lot of watches for forum members. http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

Fantastic, this is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. I will get in touch. Thank you!

Seconded for Simon Freese.

The only thing I’d add is that if you’re looking to relume the numerals (usually a no no but these have already been redone), I’d get this done by James Hyman before the service.

The only thing I’d add is that if you’re looking to relume the numerals (usually a no no but these have already been redone), I’d get this done by James Hyman before the service.

Great, I will be sure to look him up. May I ask why you recommend the relume being done before the service? Just out of curiosity as I am new to this.

hello and welcome,

I suppose this is a pretty small watch with a cal. 26.5 movement inside.

Hands are all original 100% sure - keep them as is.

I would only have the numerals re-lumed by James Hyman to match the lume in the hands.
And a service through Simon Freese, nothing else.
Don´t let the case be polished, keep it as is.

I agree - get the numerals relumed (and might as well get the hands done to match). If this has never been touched, I’d say leave alone, but that previous relume job is really hideous. A quality relume will make it look a lot better. Since you plan to keep this, fix it up so that you enjoy it.

I agree - get the numerals relumed (and might as well get the hands done to match). If this has never been touched, I’d say leave alone, but that previous relume job is really hideous. A quality relume will make it look a lot better. Since you plan to keep this, fix it up so that you enjoy it.
It was only after really looking at the macro shots that I realised how bad they look haha. From arms length it just looks faded / worn. I will go with the advice from those above and have message James Hyman to work on touching up the digits.

hello and welcome,

I suppose this is a pretty small watch with a cal. 26.5 movement inside.

Hands are all original 100% sure - keep them as is.

I would only have the numerals re-lumed by James Hyman to match the lume in the hands.
And a service through Simon Freese, nothing else.
Don´t let the case be polished, keep it as is.
Thank you for the input. I have messaged both James and Simon. I will be sure to post updates when everything is complete.

Great, I will be sure to look him up. May I ask why you recommend the relume being done before the service? Just out of curiosity as I am new to this.

Because re-luming is an art in itself and James is the master.
I’d do this before the service to avoid any dust ingress etc post service.