Forums Latest Members
  1. IronMage May 8, 2015

Hello all.

I'm a college student and I've been looking at getting a vintage Omega Seamaster for some time; I mentioned this several months ago to my parents, whom are avid estate sale-goers, and they found an interesting watch earlier this week.

After searching the web for anything that looks like this, we couldn't find a fully matched model/design anywhere. We've contacted a professional Omega repair person, but they haven't gotten back to us as they said they would.

Honestly, we're trying to understand how much it may be worth. Both my parents and the people running the estate sale assumed it was fake, this led to my parents paying ~$40 for the watch; but the repair person said that it looked real. If the watch is fake or not worth a lot, then I'll be keeping it, but my parents want to be sure it's not a $10k watch—not that I imagine it would be—before they gift it to me.

Any insight would be incredibly helpful! The following are some pictures they have sent to me (I'll be getting a couple more to add very soon).

20150505_121614.jpg 20150508_180354.jpg 20150508_180629.jpg

20150508_180759.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2015

Without seeing the movement, it's impossible to say anything for sure. However, this looks like a US market Omega bumper movement (cal. 351 or 354) watch. What's a bit odd is that it looks about 20 years older than the 1971 date on the back.

The dial was probably refinished, maybe when the presentation was done. Hands look correct.

Please post some pictures when the watchmaker opens up the watch for you.
    gatorcpa

3. IronMage May 8, 2015

Will do;I appreciate your input!

Go Gators!

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 9, 2015

5. IronMage May 9, 2015

noelekal! That's exactly it—minus the 'M' that you mentioned—!!!!

I can't tell you how exciting it is to actually know more about the watch other than that it looks good; I'll probably try to get a different back for the watch, and it seems to be in need of repair, but this is fantastic.

Thanks to you and gatorcpa for the direction! You can be sure I'll be crawling through that thread to learn everything about it.

6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 9, 2015

Finding another back is going to be a tough endeavor, IronMage. I'd probably just leave it as part of the (somewhat later) history of the watch though it possibly could be removed through polishing. Might take a drastic bit of polishing to remove that inscription though.

7. IronMage May 9, 2015

I certainly won't let the back keep me from wearing it; you can bet on that.

Now I guess it comes down to how much the watch is worth before I can actually claim ownership.

8. TNTwatch May 9, 2015

I vote original dial, but for $40 it doesn't matter. Very nice watch as is, just ditch that springy bracelet since it's damaging the soft gold filled lugs. The watch's worth around $300 on the open market like eBay. $500 would be a hard sell, no way near $10k for it.

PS: also budget for a service before using it regularly.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 9, 2015

I've seen similar ones go from $150-350. I agree with what Evan (gatorcpa) said. Nice find! :)

10. IronMage May 10, 2015

TNTwatch and kyle L, thanks for the input! I'll talk to my parents and get the watch serviced; I can't wait to wear it. :)