Forums Latest Members
  1. MBentley Dec 11, 2014

I've recently purchased an older Omega manual wind, stainless steel watch. From the research I did (and I know very little about watches).From a site that contained the serial numbers (case back) it appears to have been manufactured in 1945, and it looks like a military style watch. Other than that I know nothing.
    The serial number is : 10353994
    It is marked on the movement:
    Omega Watch Co. Swiss
    unadjusted
    another number: 9674030 (on movement)
    OXG ( near the lever that I believe is used to adjust the watch as it has an A and an R). There appear to be no other markings that I can see.
    Here are some pictures. I apologize for the bad photography, but I'm not very good at that either. If these are insufficient, I can try to take more, just tell me what you need.
    I'd like to find out what type of Omega it is, when it was made (I'm not sure if I got it right), and possibly a ball park idea of what it's worth. I know it's hard to judge something from a few poor photos, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. DSCN0009.JPG DSCN0015.JPG DSCN0025.JPG DSCN0017.JPG DSCN0040.JPG DSCN0039.JPG DSCN0038.JPG DSCN0017.JPG DSCN0041.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2014

Hello and welcome.

9674030 (on movement) is the actual serial number and dates the watch to ca 1942/3. Caliber R17.8 SC.

OXG on the movement is the designation for a USA delivered watch.

Dial appears to be original and looks pretty good under the scratched crystal.

With the fine seconds track this may be part of the Medicus line which was marketed to doctors and scientists who need to easily count seconds.

Since its on the smaller side its worth around $250-350, larger watches are more desirable.

3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Dec 11, 2014

I fully agree with X350XJR. In addition I doubt of military origin. It could be more in the Naiad line (waterproof) than in the Medicus. As far as I could see in period catalogs and advertising, the Medicus was the name of the very first 23.4SC model from 1936 and was not used for other central second watches. The OVDB uses Medicus for all 23.4SC but I think it is not the original denomination.

4. MBentley Dec 11, 2014

Thank you both very much! Glad to be here, there is obviously a wealth of information to be gleaned regarding a subject I have become interested in.
    Now that I know what it is, should I have the crystal replaced or polished? Also, it runs a little fast, so does this require servicing and if so is the watch worth the cost/trouble? I like the watch very much as the smaller size fits my wrist (which is small for a man) and do not intend to sell it, but I am a retired disabled veteran, so money isn't exactly growing on trees.
    Again, thank you very much!
    MBentley

5. brack Dec 13, 2014

Here is my 23.4. They are a lovely smaller size watch!

DSC00279.JPG A038e.JPG