Forums Latest Members
  1. iwtleverything Aug 29, 2016

Hello everyone,

I just came across this forum and it seems like I'm in the right place.

A relative recently passed away and I have inherited this watch (pictures below). It looks to be an Omega Seamaster and by some of the searching I've already done, maybe from the 50's or 60's? Knowing this relative, I think that the watch is real, but the caseback is blank which seems odd to me. It is mechanical but not automatic. Has Omega buckle and crown.

There are a few things I am hoping to find out:
    1. Is this real?
    2. Any information about this particular model?
    3. Advice on next steps in terms of servicing and restoration?

Whether it turns out to be real or not, I will be holding on to it as a memento of my relative.

Thanks for taking a moment to look!

yg38nj1 - Imgur.jpg FP0hb6X - Imgur.jpg lwtOgSj - Imgur.jpg zs08xMC - Imgur.jpg TD4ocIy - Imgur.jpg

Larry S and Noisy Nova like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 29, 2016

Yes, you've come to the right place. Welcome to the forum.

Your watch is genuine, the early casebacks did not have specific Seamaster markings, just the word "waterproof". The caseback is a snap-on and requires decent case knives and skill to open without damaging the watch or your fingers.

It looks to be all original (except for the strap) and will come up beautifully with a proper clean and service by a watchmaker. Maybe a new crystal as well, but even polishing that one will improve the looks.

As you will find by looking around here, most of us are against sending the watch to Omega themselves. A reputable watchmaker should be able to do a good clean of the case (no polishing of the metal!) and strip, clean, inspect, assemble, oil, regulate and adjust the movement for you. This is essential if the watch hasn't been serviced in the last 5 years or so. And if it hasn't, I wouldn't wind it or wear it until it's been serviced.

Some of the others here may be able to tell you more about the model etc.

Cheers

Jim

Lonestar likes this.
  3. iwtleverything Aug 29, 2016

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much! And that was super fast!!

Uhoh...I already wound it a couple times when I was first inspecting it. I take it that I should not do that anymore until I get it serviced.

Any idea what service on this watch might run me? How much do you think this piece is worth? I'm not sure if it would make sense for me to clean and service if that will cost nearly as much as the watch is worth.

Thanks again for your advice!

4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Aug 29, 2016

It's a family relique - as such, it's priceless. If you like it, if you want to respect your family, and if you would like to wear it, then forget about market value (which is likely not high) and treat your relative's inherited token how it deserves it, ie with a proper service which will run you anywhere between $200 and $500. The moment you start thinking "value", this is over with anything than investment-grade timepieces (which this one isnt).

Welcome to the forum :)

Paul

5. iwtleverything Aug 29, 2016

Thanks!

I'm seeing in other parts of the forum that I shouldn't have the case polished or the dial restored. I think I understand the part about not restoring the dial--it likely can make things worse. What is the reason for not polishing the case? How about hand replacement?

Thanks again!

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 29, 2016

Have you ever seen those 60 year old women trying to look 25, and their face looks a bit too tight, or the 60 year old blokes with obvious hair colour trying to look young and hip. :eek:

Not a good look.

Your watch should show it's age with scuffs, spots and patina.

If you fit shiny new hands (if you can even find them) it makes the rest of the watch look off. The same with polishing. Sure it can be bought up to a mirror finish, but then you lose all of the character of a worn and loved vintage watch, as well as some of the memories.

I think your watch will scrub up quite well without being tarted up.

tamura likes this.
  7. iwtleverything Aug 29, 2016

8. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 29, 2016

Please keep us updated on this priceless watch. Will love to see it when it gets restored!

9. Waltesefalcon Aug 30, 2016

Beautiful old watch you have. Beyond getting it serviced, the only thing I'd do is replace the crystal and only if it hinders your reading the dial.

10. WatchWarlock Aug 30, 2016

Jealous of that piece. Stunning patina. Unless there are cracks on the crystal, keep it if it is original (with the centered logo). A quick buff of the crystal (not case!) can make it look new again.

P.S. Don't forget to keep the buckle!

11. Clibka Aug 31, 2016

Fantastic watch. I always love inherited pieces, they carry so much more importance and a story worth preserving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. toomann Aug 31, 2016

Very nice. And I agree with what jim said. An old watch should look, Well, Old. It should show it's age but in a good way.

13. Dr. Arnaud Aug 31, 2016

14. Dr. Arnaud Aug 31, 2016

Ref.2759-10SC Cal.420 stainless steel 1956

img63955156.jpg
  15. Dr. Arnaud Aug 31, 2016

"but the caseback is blank which seems odd to me."
    The seahorse appeared in 1958, so it is normal if your watch was produced in 1956