Forums Latest Members

Help identify this royal oak

1. Noahsi Apr 19, 2019

Hello!

I’ve just received this royal oak. This watch belonged to my grandfather which then was passed on to my uncle when my grandfather passed away about 10 years ago. My uncle isn’t much into watches so after 10 years of not really wearing it he eventually decided to give it to me, and I’ve had it for about a week. I figure it’s got to be around 25 years old at this point, a little beat up but special to me nonetheless. A couple of days ago it was running very fast but now seems to have settled down at least over night last night which was the first time I wore it out. It’s still a bit too big so I am going to take it to the AP boutique today to remove a link or two.

Anyway, I've done some searching and I think this is probably a 14790 but I’m not totally sure. I’ve seen a little info about the 4100 as well but I’m not sure how one would tell the difference between them. If it helps the back of the case does not seem to have a serial number on it, just a number in the low 100s.

Any help on identifying this would be appreciated!

Also, I’m assuming the crown is meant to screw more into the case... not sure if the threads are stripped or it’s just been left unscrewed for too long but can’t seem to screw it in. Any idea what it would cost to service?

Thanks again!

7F2EDD34-4BDC-401B-8D71-F803FBCB10D9.jpeg

fbf and omegasaso12 like this.
  2. dputydwg1 Apr 19, 2019

Very nice

3. Traveler Apr 19, 2019

“ Any idea what it would cost to service?“

From experience, $3000 + if you get it done by AP (recommended)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Apr 19, 2019

A recent thread on a different forum had a member telling about his experiences getting a service quote on a 14790 that included work on the crown tube - seems to be something like the issue the OP has. He was advised that they wanted to change the movement as part of the work. About €5000...

Cad290 likes this.
  5. Noahsi Apr 19, 2019

Thanks for the info. Just left the AP boutique in NY to get a link removed and it fits / feels great now! The way it works is they send it to the service center which then gives you an estimate on the service and you can decide at that point whether to proceed or not. He said a basic service assuming nothing needed to be replaced was $890 but that it’s impossible to say without sending it in. Down the road maybe I will.

I did ask if he could tell me the ref number but he wasn’t able to look it up, and it turns out my grandfather never had it serviced at AP (if at all), as he wasn’t in the records, so don’t know!

6. dputydwg1 Apr 19, 2019

would love to see a pic of the back

7. Shabbaz Apr 19, 2019

A different forum!?!

Traveler and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 19, 2019

Unfortunately whom-so-ever told you they couldn't identify the model number should not be selling Audemars.
    There was quite a discussion here a while back on AP Royal Oaks 4100 and 14790. Hopefully yours is a 14790.
    BTW: save your extra two-tone link as they're impossible to find and may be worth what your service will cost.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Noahsi Apr 19, 2019

Yes, I was a little surprised at that myself apart from the fact that it is an older model.

I am glad the watch came to me slightly too large - only had to remove one link - the others are long lost.

10. Evitzee Apr 19, 2019

A Boutique employee isn't trained in vintage AP's, I wouldn't expect him/her to be able to identify the Ref. number from a visual inspection with the only identification is a three digit number on the back. AP has changed their numbering system many times over the years and the only real way to know what model it is to have the AP Service Center in Clearwater do the research. You could ask for an Extract from the Archives but they need the case serial number and the three digit number on the OP's watch is not the serial number.

In my opinion AP's after sales service is the best in the industry and worth the money when the watch needs service. The watch has had some seriously bad polishing done in its life with margins and edges obliterated, sad to see a RO like that but the RO cannot be polished by the average watch repairer, it's a very complicated case and that is partly why the price is high. Only a AP Service Center can do a proper job. Spend the extra money and have AP bring it back to life when you need service. I know many people these days say never polish a watch but that RO has been mishandled and needs some serious work. The OP's watch is not normal wear and tear, its very bad case refinishing by someone who had no idea what they were doing and it looks like its been done multiple times. I would not be surprised that the movement is in dodgy shape as well. Don't skimp on maintenance, have it done right.

Traveler likes this.
  11. Noahsi Apr 20, 2019

Thanks for the input. It is obvious that the watch has been polished probably a few times. I thought the service was just for the movement and didn’t realize there was anything that could be done to improve the case - figured it just is what it is at this point, though to be fair it still looks cool especially when not examined too up close. In any case (see what I did there) that is good to know for when I decide to send it in, as I agree given that it already has been polished it probably cannot hurt to try to have it improved. Thanks!

12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 20, 2019

FWIW: There are "tells" on the caseback that would distinguish it being a model 4100 or a 14790.
    [​IMG]
    I would like to think that someone more "vintage" knowledgeable working at any AP Boutique would have been able to answer your question. However there's no question that AP is well known for their excellent service department. Like all things in life you get what you pay for especially with Audemars Piguet.

Edited Apr 20, 2019
  13. Noahsi Apr 20, 2019

Here is the caseback on mine if that helps, no serial number just the watch number:

IMG_2436.JPG

14. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 20, 2019

I'll check with the AP Mod on PuristS to see if he can help identify your watch.
    My very uneducated guess would be that it's a Model 4100.

15. Noahsi Apr 20, 2019

Thanks - that’s my completely uneducated guess also just due to the differences with the 14790’s that I’ve seen posted, however the timing doesn’t seem to add up as I think this watch was purchased sometime between 1988-1994 or so, but I could also be completely wrong on that. I’ll ask my grandmother if she remembers.

16. cchen Apr 21, 2019

AP London service center has these links available in stock.

17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 21, 2019

That's a good thing. Did you ask what they cost?

18. cchen Apr 21, 2019

EdtheAussie likes this.
  19. LiquidSolid May 4, 2019

hi, that's a nice honest AP by the OP.

Here is my take on it. After the 4100 came the 4486, which turned into the 14486, then 14700, followed by the 14790.

My guess is this is a late 4100 or 4486 (not 14790). Here is a pic of my 4486, which is less than 50 case numbers later than the OPs.

IMG_9165.jpg

20. Noahsi Jun 16, 2019

Just saw this update. Interesting to learn about the in between model numbers. My watch looks near identical to yours so perhaps it is a 4486. I’ll be sending it in for servicing soon and will find out for certain then. Thanks again!