Forums Latest Members

Help identify heirloom vintage gold omega constellation

1. jblcreature Mar 25, 2014

Hi, please help in identifying my vintage omega constellation that I recently inherited from my dad.
    It says automatic chronometer on the dial.
    It has a date function, with original crystal that has a magnified portion over the date. The crystal has the engraved omega logo at the center (sorry I cant seem to take a good photo of it).
    The case back has the observatory logo.
    The watch seems to be keeping time accurately.
    The bracelet has an 18K stamp at the clasp. Does anyone know if this is an authentic omega bracelet or is this a bracelet that's probably made by a jeweler? Has anyone seen a similar bracelet like this? The reason Im asking is because there doesnt seem to be an omega logo on the bracelet. Also the end pieces doesnt seem to fit perfectly with the watch case. Actually the end pieces sit on the case back rather than on the lugs.
    I have not yet been able to open the case back, because one of the spring bars seems stuck. And since the end piece is sitting on the case back, Im very hesitant to force it open without scratching something.
    It would have been easy to know more if only I could see the caliber and serial number inside the watch. But in the meantime, I hope someone could help me with more info about the watch. Thanks!

IMG_7736.jpg IMG_7741.jpg IMG_7742.jpg IMG_7743.jpg IMG_7745.jpg IMG_7746.jpg IMG_7748.jpg IMG_7749.jpg IMG_7750.jpg
    citizenrich likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2014

Bracelet is probably third party but the endlinks look Omega... I wonder if this watch may have had an original 18K flat-link style bracelet that fell apart and had it replaced with this one. Very cool watch there, I would have it serviced by a high quality independent watchmaker and wear it or keep it safe to remember your dad, with servicing these Constellations are extremely reliable, you can literally wear it every day.

3. jblcreature Mar 25, 2014

Thanks! I also posted this thread in another forum. You are now the 2nd person to confirm that the bracelet isnt Omega. I actually like wearing my watches on different straps and bracelets depending on what Im wearing and where Im headed to. So I'll definitely keep the gold bracelet. My only problem right now is that the spring bar is really jammed. It wont probably come out unless I damage the end link in the process :(

Any guess on the caliber so I can search the Omega Vintage Database?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2014

Probably Calibre 561, don't try to take it off yourself, gold is very soft compared to the tools you'll probably need to use and you risk scratching it. The watch really looks rather nice, especially the case, I'd get a good quality strap like a Hadley Roma for it, and have a watchmaker service it, but NOT polish it at all. Don't wind or wear it yet either until its serviced, where abouts are you located (roughly)?

5. jblcreature Mar 25, 2014

You are right, the nearest match I found on the database is caliber 561, reference 14394. Thanks for the advice. I was actually hesitant to have it polished. Glad to know you had the same thoughts. I live in the Philippines. My grandfather bought it and gave it to my dad. My dad doesn't like wearing watches so he kept in the safe, so there are no big scratches or dings on the watch. Lately, I've been into vintage watches, so I have a couple of Omega straps that would fit this perfectly. Now, I just have to find the courage to solve this spring bar problem so I can have the watch serviced properly.

6. cristos71 Mar 26, 2014

Beautiful watch! The case looks really nice and sharp :)

Regarding the endlinks, I don't think they are Omega, they are completely different to the gold 7077 ends which can be seen here and only have one lip each over the back of the lugs.

Regards Chris

051 edit.JPG

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

When you have it serviced you must explicitly tell them not to polish (does not hurt to have them put that in writing) Otherwise they may decide to surprise you with polishing at no charge. This of course will greatly diminish the value and can not be repaired. Make sure it is an inhouse service not sent out to an unknown.

8. jblcreature Mar 27, 2014

Thanks! Yes, Im convinced the bracelet and endlinks are both third party.

9. jblcreature Mar 27, 2014

Great advice, definitely no polishing. I'll have to schedule this with my watch guy so I can see for myself when he opens the case back. Im actually very curious to see the current state of the movement.

10. jblcreature Apr 1, 2014

Just came back from my visit to the watch service center. It seems the spring bar is really stuck, probably corroded on the other end that's covered by the end link. They are hesitant to force it without damaging the end link. Anyway, they checked the winding of the crown and observed the watch. It seemed to be keeping time properly and still in good condition. Bottomline, they told me to wear the watch more often for now and observe it along the way.