Forums Latest Members

Help identify and rough value of inherited watch

1. Scally1 Apr 25, 2016

I have inherited an old Longines watch. It works well but needs new glass and dial referb. I cant find one similar on web.

Serial no: 9043814 23.38 (i think) on case it says: 6147114 108 and is 9ct with 17 jewels. Has several service stamps one of Jan 1966

Any ideas of date and value. I also need to sell to purchase my wife an eternity ring promised 12 years ago.

20160425_104302.jpg 20160420_112648.jpg 20160420_112537.jpg
  2. trackpad Apr 25, 2016

Just a wild, largely uninformed guess (probably not helpful),...but based on having seen a few auctions of similar looking 9K Longines, ...a few hundred dollars, and not more than 350? This is again, not a qualified opinion!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1966-GENTS-9K-GOLD-LONGINES-IN-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/222014117743Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I would leave the dial alone, replace the crystal, change the strap and enjoy.

Scally1 likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2016

Sadly, if you want to maximize the amount it sells for, it should be tarted up with a repainted dial and a healthy polishing to appeal to the "OOoooOOOooo, shiny!" buyers. The problem is you might not get your money back for the cost of the service / work. This isn't a particularly rare or sought after watch, and in it's current condition wouldn't appeal to a collector because it's dial has already been repainted once so get it done over again. It would make a nice dress watch if spiffed up.

It's a British made case, by Baume & Co, who were Longines agent for the UK back then. You can see their mark to the left of the FAB SUISSE. It's powered by a caliber 23ZS which Longines created in 1948. The serial number for this particular 23ZS dates it to 1953-ish.

4. Scally1 Apr 25, 2016

5. Scally1 Apr 25, 2016

Wow thanks for this information 'ulackfocus' ive been hunting around and cant find anything. A dealer has offered £100 based on photos. Suppose in this condition would be worth it or am i likely to get more on ebay?

6. arkstfan Apr 25, 2016

Sure there is a chance that someone will fork out more on ebay and a chance it won't bid up that high, best bet is to go to ebay search similar watches, take a look at the photos and see whether they were in better or worse shape and see the price.

You want to know watches this is your place but I wouldn't expect anyone here to spend the time researching past ebay sales on your behalf.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 25, 2016

Get it serviced, new crystal and wear it. Think of who left it to you now and then. It will look better with a new crystal. Someone left you a nice gold watch.

Way better than Selling it for parts to someone you don't know who might melt the case for the gold....

8. argonbeam May 4, 2016

Agree with ulackfocus. 23ZS nice movement, but not rare. If you you have some attachment to the watch then get it serviced and a new crystal, and leave the dial alone. Think about person you inherited it from and that they were nice enough to leave you a gold watch (most of the US ones of this vintage are gold-filled rather than solid). If the dial bugs you see what it would cost to get it redone. If you just want the money then scrap the case and sell the movement "as is" on ebay. Gold in USD is currently ~41/gram. Your case is probably 10-12 g (seems most watches of this size were about that). 9 ct gold is 37.5% gold by weight, so do the math and and you have a melt value of ~150-180 USD depending on the true weight. The dealer offered you sight-unseen 100 pounds because that's the low end of what the gold content is worth. I would buy it for $150 on ebay because I have a stable of 23Z and 23ZS watches and it never hurts to have a spare movement. I would take the case to my watchmaker, who would happily take the case off my hand for a little less than the melt value and again question my sanity for acquiring yet another 23.xx movement.

9. argonbeam May 4, 2016

Forgot to emphasize the most obvious and important thing - BUY YOUR WIFE THE RING. Spring for 18 carat gold though. 9 carat much more susceptible to corrosion, etc. If she's waited 12 years then you obviously have good qualities that allow her to overlook 12 years of tardiness.

Noisy Nova likes this.