Forums Latest Members
  1. SirMaximilian Nov 8, 2015

Here is the watch in question (imgur album - hope that's allowed): http://imgur.com/a/Od0kw

Backstory:The receipt shows that this Omega was purchased in 1963 in Switzerland for 900 Swiss Franks. This boggles my mind because my family lived in Austria in poverty, so I have no idea how he was able to afford that watch. From what I was told, the watch hasn't seen much wrist-time after it was purchased. Condition wise, the box is in mint shape, the case shows some small scratches from wear, and the crystal has a little blemish between 10 and 11. It sat in the box since he passed away in the early 70's (40ish years).

It runs. I am not sure how well, but it definitely runs. I'm afraid of wearing it and checking for accuracy since it hasn't been used in so long. I tried to get the case-back off, but it's on hella tight - I only have a two-pronged opener and don't trust myself with it. I have a history of scratching the case-back, and I'd cry myself to sleep if I were to scratch this one too.

The package: Outer box base (no lid), inner box, watch 'stand', receipt, warranty papers, and chronometer papers

For anyone that doesn't read German: (although it's straight forward) The receipt says:
    • 1 H. A Omega Watch
    • 18k gold
    • Constellation
    • Gold dial
    Questions:
    • Does it look authentic? I mean, all the papers are there, but I'm still surprised that my family was able to afford it, so I'm skeptical.
    • Can anyone tell me more about it? Any additional info/history? What model is it? - I have been unable to find the exact one online and it's not in Omega's Online Vintage Database
    • Does anyone recognize the mesh bracelet? It says "Swiss Made". Is it an Omega bracelet? It is gold?
    • It sat for 40ish years - it runs, but it's obvious that it's in dire need of a service before it sees actual wrist time. Should I go to a regular watch store, or is it worth sending to Omega?
    The Big Question:I would eventually like to sell this watch. I'm not sure if you guys allow evaluations in these fora, but how much is it worth as it stands? Would getting it serviced add significant value to it? Is a rare collector's piece or a standard Omega?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

It looks like a 14381 with a Cal. 551. You have a very special watch there in a condition that we rarely see! Best of luck with the sale, I would sell it as-is and leave it to the next owner to decide what to do with it. :)

3. ConElPueblo Nov 9, 2015

Dear God that's a pretty Constellation!!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 9, 2015

I tried to PM the OP but the lines are jammed!

:D

tpatta, ConElPueblo and tamura like this.
  5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 9, 2015

That's a very nice condition - all original - Constellation Deluxe.
    For your pricing estimate - yes it is allowed to discuss in this forum.
    I would say the watch head only will fetch USD 2500 - 3000. It would worth more if the dial is pie pan.
    The mesh bracelet is all gold 18K but not Omega, so it will fetch whatever gold value based on its weight + usd 50-100.

As for service I agree with Kyle. Leave as it is, let the new owner deal with that.
    If you have jeweler friend, you can ask him/her to open the caseback to take picture of the movement and caseback. But be very careful since untrained person could easily damaged the caseback when they try to open it.

Best,
    H

Peemacgee and SirMaximilian like this.
  6. SirMaximilian Nov 9, 2015

Thanks for the info. I tried googling the watch and I can't seem to find something similar to it. Is it a "limited run" kind of watch?

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 9, 2015

that watch is stunning!
    forget the pie-pan -I'm still on dome dials
    -and nobody has said DIBS!!

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 9, 2015

Being a Deluxe (gold dial) Connie means it was top of the line among all gold Constellation at the time. Only Grand Deluxe had higher pedigree than Deluxe (you can tell from different lugs than the others).
    But it is not rare since thousands were produced, probably better term is uncommon. What makes yours special is the condition. Untouched all original with box and papers, that would command premium.

kyle L likes this.
  9. omegastar Nov 9, 2015

The gold bracelet is a Gay Frères, for what it's worth.

SirMaximilian likes this.
  10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 9, 2015

There would be a number of people here who would be interested in buying it (including me). The important thing is to get more, high quality photos, especially the dial.

11. Optimizer13 Nov 9, 2015

If someone does buy OP's constellation, sell me your "old" constellation please ;)

12. SirMaximilian Nov 9, 2015

Thanks for the detailed reply! The bracelet is at least a
    There's a lot more interest than I expected!

Once I have time, I think I will start an official sales thread with more/better pictures, and a better description of the watch.

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 9, 2015

Strictly speaking you can't without 200 posts ( I didn't intentionally underline that sentence)

But with the right discussion with the mods they may allow an exception

I'm sure many on OF would like to see your Constellation for sale here rather than elsewhere

14. SirMaximilian Nov 9, 2015

Ahhh, I figured there might be a rule about that. I will give it a try. Worst case scenario, I'll have to go from lurker to active participating memeber, hahaha

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 9, 2015

I think this is one case where we would all watch eagerly as you post farmed your way to 200 ;)

SirMaximilian likes this.