Forums Latest Members

Help! i just bought an Omega Pocket watch converted to wrist watch

1. camvecc May 3, 2016

Hi,
    I just bought an Omega Pocket watch converted to wrist watch of eBay this was the description:

OMEGA 1929 EXCELLENT CONDITION AND SERVICE ORDER.SERVICED.
    SS CASE 44MM.PORCELAIN DIAL.

I want to know if this was worth the $250 i spent and if anybody has an idea if its real or not below are a few pictures and a link to the item
    any info is appreciated Thanks guys.

pocket watch 1111.jpg pocket watch 2222.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-1929-...fn6fomHVvElTnT59lS41U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Pvt-Public May 3, 2016

In my opinion it wasn't worth the $42 postage. But then again I don't care for pocket watch conversions. And if you like it my opinion doesn't matter anyway. Wear it in good health.;)

3. camvecc May 3, 2016

here i thought i was getting a steal lol. I love the look of the watch i just hope the 44mm. face does not look humongous
    Thanks,

4. camvecc May 3, 2016

Do you have any idea if the movement is real or can you even tell from a picture? (i just got into watches recently and don't know much)

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 3, 2016

Movement is almost certainly an Omega. Not sure of the caliber. 1929 is about right for production date.

The issue that most collectors have with these is that these watches are not expensive as pocket watches. $200 as a pocket watch isn't a bad price. But now it is neither a pocket watch or a wristwatch.

Sellers tend to use buzzwords like rare, military and chronometer to try to take advantage of newbies who don't know these word mean in the realm of horology.

At $100 it's a conversation piece. At $200 you didn't get burned too badly. I've seen some people pay several times that amount. Ouch!
    gatorcpa

OMGRLX and Drawarms like this.
  6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer May 3, 2016

if you like it its better value than buying a Diesel watch!
    enjoy it

OMGRLX likes this.
  7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer May 3, 2016

at least now it gets used... as opposed to sit another 60 years in a sock drawer.

8. Junior archer May 3, 2016

Exactly, at that price it's far more watch than a fossil.

camvecc and jsaen like this.
  9. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

Cool looking, but the face isn't that spectacular. You were the only bid--you likely could have gotten it on a relist, or made an offer after the listing completed with no bids.

For something like this--unusual, not especially needed, unlikely to be bid on by others--I'd completely avoid bidding unless I saw activity before the last 30 seconds. Contacting the seller after will frequently lead to better pricing. Worst case, it's relisted at the same price and you win when it ends.

Watchdisplay likes this.
  10. camvecc May 3, 2016

I see what your saying. I'm just glad i didn't spend more like you said. I was actually looking at one that was double the price so i don't feel as bad. Hey I know just a little more about watches now Thanks for the info

11. camvecc May 3, 2016

Thats a good way to look at it! plus i like the classic look. Thanks for your input

12. camvecc May 3, 2016

I will definitely keep that in mind when thinking of purchasing another time piece on eBay

Thanks

13. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock May 3, 2016

Longines makes one like this on purpose!

14. mokofoko One sad panda May 5, 2016

Hope my post didn't seem rude in any way--I wrote it in haste. I was just being honest about the dial, but it's already difficult to find pocket watches that have already been converted. I'd be happy wearing that myself, but maybe not at that price?

My ebay recommendations should only come into play if it doesn't look like anyone will bid. Many a time I've found something I wanted, but the item was listed far above what I would consider fair. Sending a message and asking them to send you a PM offer is one route to a lower price (I've had maybe 50% of people send me a lower purchase offer this way, but only for BIN listings), but the best way really is to contact the seller AFTER the item failed to sell, and suggest a price. If I see bids before the last few minutes (and it's not a buyer with 0 feedback), all bets off so bid bid bid.

OMGRLX likes this.