Forums Latest Members

Help...how reliable is a service & warranty from a High Street jeweller?

1. Tiger8888 Aug 21, 2017

Perhaps a layman's question, but I am about to buy a Speedmaster from 1998 and cal 1152 with box/manual and without papers, but comes with a Goldsmith warranty for a service ( clean, seals changed, pressure/wp checked etc)....for my American friends, this is a chain of highish-end jewellers. I assume they outsource the job.
    Photos show its in good condition, but nothing internal...hence the importance of this 2 year warranty paper expiring in March 2018.
    Key question....does this guarantee authenticity?
    Any advice appreciated.

Edited Aug 21, 2017
  2. Davidt Aug 21, 2017

Goldsmiths aren't really high end - surely mid range (and even that's a bit generous). Anyway, I'd say it depends entirely on who carried out the service. I know a local watchmaker near me carries out servicing for a range of jewellers in town so if this is the norm, there's the potential for significant variation in standards. Perhaps ask to see the results from timing after the service and post them here.

Tiger8888 likes this.
  3. jimmyd13 Aug 21, 2017

Have purchased a used Rolex from them before. They are Rolex dealer but with few or no in-house facilities/watchmakers. The one I bought had been serviced by Rolex themselves in Switzerland.

Best advice is to ask detailed questions.

My experience of Goldsmiths is patchy. On the whole, their sales assistants are run of the mill shop assistants, working in one store for a few months then another. However, some are watch lovers ... see if you can find one of those in the store you're at.

Tiger8888 likes this.