Forums Latest Members
  1. Rane May 29, 2017

Hello! I tryed searching but failed.. Is there somekinda guide for vintage Omega watches? I would like to get my first vintage omega watch, but theres so much little things to know.. I would need to learn how to see if it is original condition.. I would appreciate some guide pages on internet or is there some book which I should get?

Thank you!
    Rane

2. kreyke May 29, 2017

There are several lines of omega watches. You have the geneve, seamasters and constellations(higher end). And then there are those around 1940s which has just omegas on it. It depends on which line you're interested in.

EDIT: oh and speedmasters obviously.

3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 29, 2017

A good start would be to read the stickied posts on this forum. There is no way to gain the requisite knowledge without putting in some serious research time.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 29, 2017

You're probably in one of the best places to learn about vintage Omega watches.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan May 29, 2017

If it's a vintage Speedmaster then Speedmaster101 is a fantastic resource. Also Fratellowatches.Com
    Or as previous post by @X350 XJR suggested. THIS IS THE PLACE!

JUST HIT THE SEARCH ICON AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE AND YOU'RE OFF AND RUNNING!:thumbsup:

6. Rane May 29, 2017

Thank you very much.. gonna start going trough these pages for sure.. Just would need to get started with something :) Well first I got to start looking for those watches which I want to get.. and focus on studying those then.. I was just curious if there would be some book or page, where I could see vintage watches and do some comparing etc..
    Thanks for good replys

7. ConElPueblo May 29, 2017

I'd say that the most common newcomer reaction to pages just like you describe (eg. the Omega database) is that their watch doesn't match the description/pictures and something must be off. However, old Omegas were made in thousands of versions, a lot of them sharing only case design even though the reference number is the same. Dial layout, type of case metal, etc. can easily vary within the same model.

The first thing you'll want to figure out is whether or not your watch has been redialed or otherwise altered. And you'll need to know the reference number of your watch to do more research :)

Best wishes,
    Troels.

8. Rane May 29, 2017

Ok! Thanks! Good to know that I can get tips from here ;) gotta start studying.. I would want to get as original Omega as possible for my first vintage watch..

9. Allen Dreadmon May 29, 2017

10. TexOmega May 29, 2017

Start looking in the for sale section on this Forum, all redials (or not) will be disclosed or you can ask the question on this forum.

Good luck, and the fun part is the research.

The first time your brain hollers REDIAL, you'll have a big grin on your face.

Oh, and there are several good Omega books with great pictures and explanations. Some are $$$$ some are $.

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 29, 2017

In the "Open Discussion" section ther is a thread called "WRUW" or "what are you wearing". There are many thousands of beautiful watches shown with descriptions. See what you fancy and then ask questions.

ahartfie and Davidt like this.
  12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 29, 2017

Find a couple of watches that interest you. When you do, make note of the case reference if available, serial number and movement number if possible and use this as your starting point for research. Here is good example of an eBay listing that gives plenty of info and pics.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Vinta...854777?hash=item3d3c9be539:g:jEQAAOSwGJlZLEC6Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    In this example we see that the case reference number 2667-4sc
    serial number 13020xxxx dates the watch to 1952
    movement number 420
    Now you have a considerable amount of information about this watch and others like it. Come back here when you hit a roadblock.

Edited May 29, 2017
    Uniqez likes this.