Forums Latest Members

A New Member - Not A New Request (Looking for Bond watch advice!)

1. JackTraven1 Jun 27, 2020

Hello, all! Forgive me for the length of this - first post here and I’m hoping I can get some sage advice and input. I posted on WUS as well but I know this is where the real experts are!

I’ve read countless threads and learned a lot and am finally in a position to purchase my first Omega which has been a goal for many years. It’s time for me to finally get my hands on a Seamaster Diver 300m 2220.80.00 (I have always loved the 2531.80 but there are some subtleties of the 2220.80 that do it for me!)

Foolishly I initially thought it would be as simple as finding a used one in relatively good condition - I had no idea there were so many factors to consider in the decision. I am hoping to get some advice on whether to buy from a place like Crown and Caliber, who I’ve come to appreciate greatly from everything I’ve read and seen and also from some emailing back and forth, or to buy from an individual seller such as Exelonman on WUS or a seller here on OF?

The watch for me is a sentimental thing and a big purchase. I hope to find a balance with it. I am hoping for it to be as authentic and close to the original watch as possible, with original papers something I’m really hoping for (foolishly?) While I know an older watch will typically come with scuffs and dings and a good deal of character, I’ve noticed that most of those that show up in the C&C inventory seem a little more beat up and are also slightly pricier than the handful of examples I’ve looked at being sold by individual sellers.

While I understand they will be a little more $ from C&C, I am absolutely 100% ok with that if it will get me a “more” authentic watch, even if it does have some more character/use. I absolutely plan on sending the watch in to Omega for servicing/overhaul and the price difference of a few hundred dollars for peace of mind is not a major concern for me. I’d rather spend a little more and be content..

Hoping for some experts to chime in on this long winded post to see if you would advise me to wait for a watch in “Excellent” condition on C&C (hopefully with papers/box etc.) as I feel it gives me slightly more peace of mind or if that is foolish and unrealistic and that it makes sense to just buy from an individual seller. I've also started reaching out to a few ADs from the Omega site but some do not seem at all interested in helping out. This is important to me and something I’ve wanted to do for years and want to do “right”. I look forward to hearing what you guys think. Thanks very much in advance!

2. drhombus24 Jun 27, 2020

As a first watch, I think c&c is a good option. I’m surprised that you think their watches look more beat up. Most of c&cs watches are polished to look as new as possible. Some collectors don’t like that, but if it’s your first omega, you probably don’t want something that is beat up before you even put it on your wrist. Perhaps post the link of what you’re considering here before you purchase.

3. JackTraven1 Jun 27, 2020

@drhombus24 thank you for the reply! I hope that I did not come across as if I think what C&C seems to offer is poor quality or anything - they've been nothing short of amazing in speaking with them in this search! It just seems to me that there are often many more scuffs/dings, more bezel fading etc. on some of their inventory specifically for the 2531.80 line such as this one
    I certainly will consider posting here before purchasing if I'm on the fence. The more I look the more concerned I become that I really should just pull the trigger on the first 2220.80 that I see! I'm afraid another nice one will ever show itself again from C&C or another AD.

4. stuart70 Jun 28, 2020

Hi,
    A good piece of advice is spend the time looking for a watch that is right for you, both 2531 and 2220 are quite plentiful. If you have decided on the 2220 then try and go and see as many as possible you cannot beat that hands on experience. If you manage to find a good dealer they will be able to explain the signs of it being polished well or not. It is better to pay a bit more initially than correct problems down the line, With bezel a new would cost about £300 ish , most on this site would say an original is better - personal choice. If you swap any of the parts, keep them as it will help sell it at a later date.
    They did make 2220 for about 5-7 years be patient.

Edited Jun 28, 2020
  5. JackTraven1 Jun 28, 2020

That makes sense and is comforting to hear, I appreciate it. I've waited this long to be in a position to buy so I now need to wait for the right purchase! I appreciate the advice. I would definitely prefer original bezel/components which is one of the reasons I'm going to hold out for one that is in nicer condition as opposed to buying a beat up one at a discount to turn around and send to Omega.

6. GulDan Jul 10, 2020

Don´t worry, a good one will pop up eventually. I got mine by contacting forum users on a Swedish watch forum that i knew had this reference and asked them if they would consider selling it. One of them agreed :) Forum people often like to flip there watches frequently.

I also see this reference from time to time at https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/

7. gbesq Jul 10, 2020

Lots of good advice here. I would consider C&C to be a good, safe option for a newbie purchase. They are a bit more expensive, but they are picky about their inventory, have a generous return policy, their descriptions are accurate (eg, they’ll tell you up front if a watch has a service dial, replacement hands, scratches, dings, etc.) and all of their watches are serviced and guaranteed. You could do a lot worse.

8. JackTraven1 Jul 10, 2020

@gbesq Thanks for the reply! That's along the lines of what I've seen. I know I may pay slightly more with C&C but I'm definitely as 'comfortable' with them as I could be buying something so big online and not in person. It's great to hear confirmation of that.

@GulDan Thank you! I have definitely started to consider the forums as a source from a reputable, well know member. I hadn't considered buying from the UK as I live in the US and admittedly know nothing about buying from overseas but I now see that they have two pending to be posted - I'll have to do some research.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on watchfinder.co.uk for a US buyer. Happy Friday to all!

GulDan likes this.
  9. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 10, 2020

Guaranteed yes, but no, not all watches are serviced. I’ve been told by their returns department that if the watch has been serviced it will say so in the listing description and if it doesn’t, it has not. They largely just verify the watches authenticity before listing. I too was under the impression they serviced everything prior to my first purchase with them but was wrong.

My first purchase with them was a SMP300: the bezel had corrosion and the insert was half falling out when I received it. The underside of the crystal had a solid coat of haze with a finger print straight in the middle. All the gaskets were shot. None of this was shown in the listing images nor was it described. The day after I received it, I sent it back for warranty work. This is where I mentioned to them that I thought all items were serviced prior to selling and they said what I had mentioned earlier in this post. I waited 30 days for the replacement parts and the watch was sent back. The first thing I noticed was a scratch in the AR coating inside the crystal.

They are very good at taking care of their customers though. I only had the watch for a combined two days in my possession. Technically I was 30 days outside the return policy because they had the watch for that 30 days for repair. When I saw the scratch in the AR, I wanted a refund. They took the watch back and refunded me no question. But, the watch will only have been serviced prior to sale IF the description says so.

JackTraven1 likes this.
  10. JackTraven1 Jul 10, 2020

Alright - hoping to get some feedback on this 2220.80.00 and knowing full well I may either A. get laughed at or B. have someone else buy this watch before I do because it is a good buy. Here goes:

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omeg...00m-co-axial-chronometer-42mm--id15695760.htm

I spoke briefly to the seller, Ian, on the phone a few minutes ago and he says that the watch is authentic. I have no real reason to believe it's not but I don't know how the date is listed as 2017.. the serial number is 81XXXXXX which would make sense and put it at mid 2000s as I understand it. My plan would be to hopefully overnight it to the nearest Omega Boutique to confirm authenticity as soon as it gets here, is this feasible? He is listed as a verified dealer and it comes with Trusted Checkout which as I understand it means if it is deemed not authentic I can return it through Chrono24.

He is going send me some better pictures this weekend and I told him we could go from there. Is this a classic example of jumping the gun when I should be waiting patiently for a more sure fire thing like C&C as I myself have said I'm comfortable with and others on the thread have confirmed may be prudent? Any input would be appreciated!

15695760-gbmcsazml4my2ac2pgv8lqkb-Zoom.jpg 15695760-z6omtbucbbi5cd68b5mtc1qg-Zoom.jpg 15695760-0n7nt0ufdlsrycko0op4njlr-Zoom.jpg 15695760-1er1z975yh7hxc42y6v9f6rh-Zoom.jpg 15695760-1rzpp6tyei9d746wc8bwfp0k-Zoom.jpg 15695760-8x3k36el2ta9y7wlrc5oepmk-Zoom.jpg 15695760-664syg8ttyo3brdt4g8ruawl-Zoom.jpg 15695760-bfbywfx7eruimrylxyytsi27-Zoom.jpg 15695760-e9kytuhdct8wyrree61zsyxe-Zoom.jpg 15695760-l6mzgyk1ovmlwgt9d6kj5m5t-Zoom.jpg 15695760-p43xy9uockd641deih3o9chb-Zoom.jpg 15695760-zfmqxqvp9bd813wllhduty0f-Zoom.jpg
    Edited Jul 10, 2020
  11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 10, 2020

As hesitant as you are about posting the pics, you’re better off posting the images for more thorough help. People are less likely to click on links.

JackTraven1 likes this.
  12. JackTraven1 Jul 10, 2020

Thanks! Will do that now!

13. JackTraven1 Jul 10, 2020

Well... I don't know how it took me this long but I'm just seeing the "Omega" is in black and not in white so I guess that's a no go!

14. ChiefMark Jul 10, 2020

They did make dials with a black Omega in this reference. I don’t see anything concerning in your photos, but I’ll defer to the more experienced hunters.
    I’ve had good experiences with dealers on chrono24.

JackTraven1 likes this.
  15. JackTraven1 Jul 10, 2020

I'd never seen them before and love the white on blue contrast but that is good to know and maybe I'll still consider this one in that case. Thank you

16. JackTraven1 Jul 10, 2020

Upon even further scrutiny I really think that the "black" may just be due to the lighting... I've been staring at the screen for too long trying to find the right watch!

17. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 10, 2020

The logo is not black. If you look at the hands in the same pic, they too are black, which we know can’t be true since they are polished in other pics. In the first photo, the logo and hands are mirroring the phone, which you can see being reflected in the crystal. I had a painted on logo bond smp and my polished hands would do the same if my iPhone were in front of them. In the second image, the hands don’t look as polished and rather dull but that is just due to the lighting and poor image quality from the camera phone. To me, this explains why the logo also appears black. It’s got a much smaller surface are to reflect light compared to the hands. In the remaining images you can see the hands are quite polished but the logo isn’t captured again. I only mention the hands so much because they also looked black in the first image and was using that as a reference. I’d be confident that the logo is polished much like the hands. The only way to calm your thoughts are to ask the seller for pictures of the watch in natural light.

JackTraven1 likes this.
  18. JackTraven1 Jul 10, 2020

I agree completely. I appreciate that. I asked him for some photos to clear that up and give me some peace of mind. Thank you

19. ChiefMark Jul 10, 2020

Thanks for that information @Scarecrow Boat. I was looking online and quickly found a dozen 2220.80 images that appeared to have a black “Omega.” Interesting example of how tricks of light constantly make Omegas beautiful to look at.
    Apologize for any confusion I caused.

JackTraven1 likes this.
  20. gbesq Jul 10, 2020

Wow, not my experience with them at all in two transactions, but I take you at your word.

JackTraven1 likes this.