Forums Latest Members

Help find a vintage Heuer watchmaker Florida/Georgia area

1. Gatorade Dec 4, 2020

I was on Calibre 11 forum and it was recommended to ask here for help finding someone who services vintage Heuer Autavia GMTs in the St. Augustine, FL area. I can go to Jacksonville as well. This is an inherited watch so I don’t want the wear buffed out a cleaning and service.

Thanks for any information!

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 5, 2020

You are on the wrong forum. Calibers 11 was not used by Omega. You should go to any vintage Heuer forum. The service is not complicated, but if you need parts.....that can be a nightmare. Good luck ! Achim

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 5, 2020

Caliber 11 is OF’s sister forum - there are a number of people here who collect Heuers and perhaps they can help, but you
    you might have more eyeballs if you ask on Chronocentric’s «On the Dash » forum. It is entirely focused on vintage Heuer. And you are entirely right to be doing due diligence for the right person.
    Be careful as some people might take advantage of a newbie to take rare parts from a watch and return it to you saying « sorry we can’t fix ».
    Some supposedly very reputable dealers have been suspected of doing that.
    You really want to proceed cautiously.

KP-99, Lucasssssss and watchyouwant like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 5, 2020

Don’t be scared to send a watch away for service. I just sent one 4000km. You limit your search and expertise buy only looking local.

Have sent a watch from Australia to Canada for service before.

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. Gatorade Dec 5, 2020

If it were just an expensive watch I would insure it and ship it away. It is was my fathers Heuer Autavia GMT he bought just after I was born and he graduated college. I would feel much more comfortable putting it in someone’s hand than a box. It’s not that I wouldn’t make the drive but for all I know a world renowned watchmaker of the highest integrity, and skill may be just around the corner. Living adjacent to a city that was founded in 1565 attracts all kinds of people and you never know what to expect.

6. asrnj77 Dec 5, 2020

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 5, 2020

Totally understand - you might want to specify your location in your title to make it more visible.
    And considering how important the watch is to you, you might consider driving a long way for it.
    There are people from all over the world who bring vintage watches by hand to Switzerland to get them authenticated by the manufacturer. They do a bit of touring, take a vacation, and carry watches.

8. Gatorade Dec 5, 2020

Done! Like I said it is a long shot but I figured no harm in asking around. A Swiss vacation would be nice. My wife says Italy is highest on her list of places to visit but with global issues right now it may be a year or two at a minimum. Thank you again for the replies!

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 5, 2020

Well my point was more that if people can fly from Asia and the Americas to Switzerland with their watches, maybe you could drive to Kentucky if that’s where the closest recommended watchmaker is based...

connieseamaster and Mark020 like this.
  10. MRC Dec 5, 2020

Wait! Switzerland/Italy sounds good, but do not give your watch to TAG-Heuer. In your itinerary include Belgium (Abel Court), or UK (where Richard Askham looks after my '60s Heuers) or other recommendations that may come up. Visiting the TAG-Heuer museum is fine though -- I'd love to do it. O.T.D. is the forum to ask for the USA, see if you can find out who looks after Jeff Stein's watches in Atlanta GA. And for all seriously recommended watchmakers be prepared for a second visit many months later to collect it. "Hey hon, you liked Napoli, right? Well I have good news!"

You owe the thread a photo!

11. Gatorade Dec 5, 2020

Understood! I read the museum is not generally open to the public but maybe this might get me through the door!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Better pictures later I am at my fathers bedside, he is not doing well. It is his watch, he bought it. About three years earlier his wife had given birth to their only son and he had graduated from college a year or so before. Starting a new job with his whole life ahead of him. An avid race fan words like Sebring, Daytona, Indy, Le Mans, and F1 were household terms. He would work on his own club racing cars and toss the GMT into the top of the tool box and get lost in gears and oil and tires. I remember him having it off and on during his life but for some reason I thought it was sold while I was young and I never really had an affinity towards watches. I wore one while diving because I needed to but hadn’t worn one on a regular basis for 20+ years. I inherited a vintage Wakmann from my grandfather a few years ago and finally got around to getting it serviced and running again. Parkinson’s started showing symptoms about 5 years ago but the brain tumor they found in September and the ensuing operation and treatment are proving too much for him. On a weekend visit last month I showed him the Wakmann and mentioned that I remembered his “Tag Huer” that he sold years ago. He gave me a quick look and corrected my pronunciation, “It’s a Heuer, and it’s on my dresser.” I was floored, for some reason I had it in my mind it had been sold but the moment I saw it I remembered all those times he wore it. Last weekend my step mother gave it to me as he entered hospice. I spent the weekend by his side and he was talking but very out of it. Bahrain Grand Prix was on but he was resting and only really caught bits and pieces. So I spent the weekend and all week learning about the Heuer Autavia GMT Reference 2446C and all its history and connection to racing. Learning how the minute hand would get caught on the chronograph sweep hand and that was a sure sign that a service would be needed sometime in the future. So yes it is an amazing watch and is probably the most treasured item that I never wanted to get. I will show it to my son and tell him the story some day and hopefully he may do the same.

Again thank you guys for the information and suggestions, I am learning with every one of them.

Syrte, KP-99, jB1128 and 9 others like this.
  12. asrnj77 Dec 5, 2020

Fantastic looking watch but of course it’s a terrible situation. I think you’re correct in making it something that you’ll always remember your father by. I enjoy seeing people wanting to cherish their loved one’s watches versus asking how much they are worth so they can sell them.

I believe this has a valjoux 72 movement which was in a ton of watches and won’t require any specific Heuer servicer. Just find a trusted vintage watchman near you if you don’t want to ship.

KingCrouchy and watchyouwant like this.
  13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 5, 2020

Easy. Valjoux mvmts. are very common in vintage chronos. Every older and seasoned local watchmaker can service them. And most parts are readily available on the Net, if needed. Might cost you $500 max. Good luck !

14. Tonyash Dec 6, 2020

The GMT version of the Valjoux 72 added a numeral to become the Valjoux 724 but, as above, a relatively common chrongraph movement. Beautiful, beautiful watch you have there and all the more interesting with family history. I love the compressor case Autavias, great wrist presence.
    Interesting to see a 1972 date on the bracelet as the 2446C was discontinued in 1970 with the advent of the Calibre 11 movements. Mind you they were probably available to buy for a couple of years after that.
    Hope you find the right watchmaker and enjoy that watch.

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 6, 2020

Sorry to hear about the predicament, being able to be at his bedside is so important. Wishing you the best

16. Gatorade Dec 13, 2020

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was able to remove the bracelet and confirm the 2446C as well as the serial number 1963XX. If anyone has any information from that number please let me know. I am very interested in learning all I can about my fathers watch. Thank you.

MRC likes this.
  17. MRC Dec 13, 2020

Get yourself a copy of this https://www.blurb.com/b/10252503-heuer-autavia-chronographs-1962-85

You could also contact Richard Crosthwaite, one of the authors (send me a PM if you cannot find his email addy). I'm sure he will have information relevant to your serial number, and he'll be pleased to be able to add it to his database of Heuer serials.

18. Gatorade Dec 13, 2020

Just for fun, I also took a quick video of it showing off the chronograph function.

19. MRC Dec 13, 2020