Forums Latest Members
  1. naarzius Aug 19, 2015

Hi!

Iam just about to buy my first vintage Omega. I cant seem to find it on the omegawatch.com vintage archive. (http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database)

Could someone please help me identify this watch? Iam also interested in other thoughts about it, the fact that it says automatic on the dail, but it seems to be a wind up? And if you think the price is about right.

Thank you in advance for any kind of input, its a jungle :)

https://www.chrono24.se/omega/omega-seamaster-automatic-swiss-made-watch--id3570648.htm

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 19, 2015

image.jpg

Actually 2 comments

Way to expensive

blubarb and naarzius like this.
  3. blubarb Aug 19, 2015

Your right it is a jungle, especially if it's your first trip off the main road. Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't pull the trigger on my first vintage Omega until I knew what it was I was (a) buying and (b) was sure that I was buying from a trusted source. Buying vintage is a bit of an art, knowing where to find and check production years to movement numbers, knowing dials, hands, etc. as I say, just my opinion, and much wiser and experienced heads may chime in, but I would:

1. Have a clear understanding of what vintage years I am searching within
    2. What's fairly common for that period
    3. What's rare and hard to find
    4. Feel comfortable in being able to identify a genuine Omega from a franken
    5. Identify the model you really like
    6. Know the range of movement numbers for the years your after
    7. Pictures of case back and movement a must.
    8. Know the price ranges being fetched for the model you're after.

Be prepared to settle down for a long search for the right one. be prepared to pass up on a watch no matter how good it looks if you don't know what it is your buying.

Of course, a knowledgeable forum member may wish to chime in and give you the good (or bad) oil on this watch. Personally I like to do the work first and then request opinions as to my assessment.

Just some thoughts.

Btw, have you emailed the seller and asked for more detail, especially photos of the case back and movement?

Cheers

4. blubarb Aug 19, 2015

You see. Good one, Standy!!

Game, set and match.

naarzius likes this.
  5. Pvt-Public Aug 19, 2015

To me it just doesn't look right with a highly polished case and a brushed finish bracelet, plus the above comments.

naarzius likes this.
  6. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Aug 19, 2015

why don't these people who keep asking about watches (most of the times redials, over polished and over priced) in other websites look in the sales' corner here?

naarzius, Davidt and blubarb like this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 19, 2015

That's the $64,000 question. Even after they're directed there, a lot still buy a lesser quality piece on eBay, for the same price that's is being asked in the sales corner.

Edited Aug 19, 2015
    naarzius and blubarb like this.
  8. lillatroll Aug 19, 2015

Overpriced ,overpolished and it's a redial. Patience is the key. I always think that a watch should look its age, that's not to say it has to look like it's been through the mill but if a 40 year old watch looks like it has just come out of the shop then that starts the alarm bells ringing. Obviously there are exceptions to this but more often than not they have been messed about with.

9. lillatroll Aug 19, 2015

Overpriced ,overpolished and it's a redial. Patience is the key. I always think that a watch should look its age, that's not to say it has to look like it's been through the mill but if a 40 year old watch looks like it has just come out of the shop then that starts the alarm bells ringing. Obviously there are exceptions to this but more often than not they have been messed about with.

naarzius likes this.
  10. naarzius Aug 19, 2015

Thanks to all of you for the input. Especially Blubard for taking the time to write down some pointers.

I'll gonna take a chill pill and read up, and look through the sell section here.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 19, 2015

Took me a while to upload my blunt and to the point picture. ;)

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 19, 2015

Ahhhhh, MY blunt and to the point picture!

STANDY likes this.