Forums Latest Auctions Members

Help - Diver Extension loose on Titanium Seamaster Professional 300

1. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Jan 25, 2020

Hello OF,

My Ti SM300 has been my daily watch for the last 20 years. Truly the best all around watch for me—work, play, sports, dress up, dress down.

Lately the diver extension has been loose and popping open whenever I take the watch off. Never used to happen. In an Omega factory service about 5 years ago they replaced the whole clasp so this seems to have worn out in some way. The prior clasp lasted through 15 years of daily use.

I have attached photos. There seems to be a pin that the diver extension clicks onto to provide tension. Is that something that can be replaced, or do I have to purchase a full clasp?

Appreciate any advice!

Thank you

B39FEA7F-6E88-49EB-A123-61757592865E.jpeg A37F070E-0D60-4C64-B659-DBBCEFD1890D.jpeg 6897217C-5451-422C-8276-CFB2B8D6A6F3.jpeg A5FFA2F4-9919-46F6-B10F-5FA0EB6D027C.jpeg

2. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 1, 2020

Any advice out there? Do I just replace that one pin—are those two wear marks?

thank you

3. DON

DON Feb 1, 2020

From a couple of images. One does not really get a sense of how the extension works. Maybe something needs tightening due to wear.

I would suggest taking to Omega and letting them examine it.

DON

4. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 2, 2020

Thanks, Don, but I expect they’ll offer to replace the full clasp. I’ll bring it to a local watchmaker but I had hoped someone here in OF had seen the same issue before.
    Cheers

5. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 14, 2020

Anyone know if the two lines on the pin in 2nd and 3rd pics are normal, or is that the wear that’s causing it to release too easily?
    Is there a part number for that?

thanks!

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 14, 2020

Your bracelet is dirty. Not suprised something is loose. Once you get the clasp replaced, soap and warm water and a brush once a week or so. Make sure the watch is still water resistant.

Tom

7. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 15, 2020

OK, good advice. I’ve worn it daily for 20 years so I’m not surprised. My question here is how to avoid replacing the whole clasp. Has anyone seen that specific wear on that pin or is it normal?

Thanks

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 15, 2020

Those grooves? They look right to me.

Give me the number on the clasp, I have some parts list and might be able to give you the pin that latches the extension. Of course your local Omega dealer can do the same.

Tom

AustinCambridge likes this.
  9. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 15, 2020

The dive extension does not usually rely on the pin you are referencing to stay shut. In a steel clasp, the extension has two small areas that have been flattened under a press to create the friction - see the red arrows:

[​IMG]

On a steel clasp there are two ways of fixing this. One is to try to open up the two forks of that area of the clasp, but that can only do so much. I often end up using a punch in a staking set to spread those two dimples out more to tighten up the dive extension:

[​IMG]

Just flattening those two small spot out can take an extension from falling open every time you take the watch off, to making it tight enough you have to really work to get it open, or anywhere in between.

On the Ti clasps that I have paid attention to, they use a very different system. Instead of having spots where the metal has been deformed, they have had one small spring loaded part built into this area that looks like this:

[​IMG]

This is the inside of the clasp pictured, and you can see the clasp number (SMP Chronograph bracelet) and you can see the small spring loaded tab just sticking out on the bottom half of the extension fork:

[​IMG]

The other side doesn't have one, so I'm not sure if your clasp is showing the side that is supposed to have the spring loaded parts, or the other side. I can't make out from your photo what is really going on in that spot, so if you could take a better photos that would help, but I would suggest looking at the extension to see if it has this small spring loaded part on one side or another.

If it does, and it still seems to work properly (you can push it in and it pops back out, and doesn't look terribly worn) then you may be able to tighten it up by spreading the two forks of this area of the clasp, in particular if they seem to narrow where they meet the bracelet. It may help make better contact to keep this locked in place.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers, Al

10. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 16, 2020 4:00pm

Thank you, Al. I’ll take a few more pictures after I give it a cleaning, I was shamed after the prior posts. ;-)
    The clasp is a titanium 1523-825 and doesn’t have the indentations you showed in your steel photo, the sides are straight and smooth. There a lip at one end that tucks under one pin, and the only other place there’s contact is at the pin which I featured in my other post photo that has the two visible notches.

Thanks!

11. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 16, 2020 4:24pm

Well, I was impatient and took the pictures anyway. Please forgive many years of wear and some dirt.
    One with the clasp open.
    Second with red pen showing how the lip on one side tucks under pin at center of clasp.
    Third showing where notch in clasp engaged on pin that has the two wear marks.
    Final closed viewed from inside.

Al, thank you for any ideas. I think I need to order that pin somehow. My local dealer is just going to send the watch out to Omega and they’ll charge me for a whole new clasp.

Thanks.

4152EE27-EEC6-4C23-99F3-DC47AAFFBDB3.jpeg 9DE77223-FF0D-4BF9-8649-31BA78FEFBF8.jpeg
    988FE631-A52A-4E1C-901C-C96A3B6BAA01.jpeg
    40A2EA13-0511-44BC-8A36-C0104156DCDF.jpeg

12. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 16, 2020 4:26pm

The clasp is 1523-825. Just trying to avoid replacing the whole thing. It doesn’t come undone when the full clasp is closed so I can live with it, but it’s a bit annoying.
    Thanks!

13. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 16, 2020 4:31pm

Sorry, not a separate part. Al's advice is the best you'll get other than change the clasp again.

Tom

14. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 16, 2020 4:36pm

15. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2020 4:38pm

Is there any friction between the surfaces I've shown with red arrows?

Clasp1.jpg

16. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 16, 2020 4:42pm

None at all. Both sides perfectly smooth. Looks as designed, nothing there before. It’s different from your steel pictures.

17. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 16, 2020 4:46pm

F1F662B2-E161-48FC-BF2F-54EF60343DD0.jpeg

18. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2020 4:49pm

Not asking if they are smooth - what I'm asking is if there is any friction between these surfaces when you are tucking the extension in place.

If there isn't, then it's unclear what is supposed to provide the friction to keep the extension from simply opening.

Is there any evidence of wear at the red arrows I've added?

Clasp2.jpg

19. AustinCambridge

AustinCambridge Feb 16, 2020 4:59pm

Sorry. Those edges are perfectly straight and aligned. There is no friction there at all.
    Regarding the wear question, photo attached. I predict you’re about to tell me to buy a new clasp! :)
    BBC4839B-D7C1-4BD6-B005-0823FB8B758E.jpeg

20. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2020 5:10pm

Sorry, I can't tell as much from a photo as you can looking at it directly. If you are implying that it is worn, then no I'm not going to tell you to buy a clasp immediately. If this "clipping" over the tube is what is supposed to hold this closed, is a piss poor design frankly.

But before you get a new clasp, if you can bend this part, you may be able to restore friction by creating more interference between the tube and this slot. Unclear which way to bend it at this time, but my gut tells me you should put more curve in it, so bend it in the direction it is already curved, and see of that helps. This is sort of the same idea as the old flimsy Rolex claps...