Forums Latest Members
  1. FilmDave Aug 16, 2013

I know in the end it's all going to come down to personal choice, but any "don't make this mistake" or "this watch is a clear choice because of this reason" would be greatly appreciated:

I'm finally ready to buy my first Omega after lusting after them for several years. I had hoped to get a 42mm Blue PO, but the high MSRP ($8100 -- it's only available titanium) pushes it beyond what I'm comfortable spending (and at that point, I'd go up to the Good Planet GMT).

So I've narrowed it down to 3:

• The LE Seamaster 300 ETNZ
    • The Black Steel-on-Steel PO 8500 movement
    • The Black Steel-on-Steel PO 2500 movement on the secondary market

All three are in my price range, though the older PO is basically half the price. If I go with the Black PO, I'm leaning towards the older model; both for price and because I actually dig the older face (with open 9 and 6) a little bit more. Is the new movement and clear back (which I do like a lot) worth spending double?

Whichever watch I go with will become my daily wearer. I don't dive or sail, but I love the sporty look and feel of the watches above. (I've tried them all on).

I plan to keep the watch forever, but it'd be nice to know any projected resale hits or misses just in case. For instance, I don't think that the LE status really helps much in most cases -- any reason to think the ETNZ might outperform (or underperform) in resale down the road? (Other than the outside chance they actually win the America's Cup..!).

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll post pics of the final purchase once a decision is made! :)

2. ulackfocus Aug 16, 2013

IMO, yes.

Now post a picture of each watch in question man.

3. FilmDave Aug 16, 2013

Photos are below. :)

The LE ETNZ (from Omega site):
    [​IMG]

The older PO (from random ebay auction):
    [​IMG]

The new PO (from Omega site):
    [​IMG]

4. Hijak Aug 16, 2013

Are you the type of person who will be happy owning one nice watch and wearing it every day or are you the type who likes to mix it up? If you are the latter it sounds like the older PO is your choice. You mentioned several aspects of this watch that you really like...and it would leave a bit of you watch budget left over for a future purchase::jumpy::

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 16, 2013

If you buy the older PO, resale value drop would be minimal. With the remaining budget buy a second hand Aqua Terra 8500 or a second hand Speedy Moonwatch. Just make sure you get one with very good condition :thumbsup:

STANDY likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 16, 2013

Older PO

7. ctime3 Aug 16, 2013

I like the newer PO 8500. The older PO is flatter and does not sit as high. But the movement is better in the 8500 with the Si14. Noe the The LE ETNZ should come with a stainless and rubber braclet. I saw that in person and it is impressive. I personally think the LE ETNZ might be a little too sporty and loud. But your right it comes down to personal preference.

8. ctime3 Aug 16, 2013

• The LE Seamaster 300 ETNZ size 44mm (Has rubber and a braclet) Good for sport and dress.
    • The Black Steel-on-Steel PO 8500 movement 42 or 45.5 ( I like the 42) 45.5 is big. better movement. This will last you the longest.
    • The Black Steel-on-Steel PO 2500 movement on the secondary market Since the watch is flatter it looks larger than 42. (No Si14 hairspring)

9. FilmDave Aug 16, 2013

Thanks all for the input -- it seems it really does come down to personal preference... Hoping to make a decision this weekend and be sporting a new timepiece by next weekend. :)