Forums Latest Members
  1. agonzaca Nov 15, 2015

Hi everyone, I just signed up to ask for the experts opinions. I'm a panerai guy buy recently a vintage omega has gotten my attention and since I lnow nothing about them, I was wondering if I could get your help.

This is the piece I'm interested in getting, according to the seller it is all original but well tou know, you can't just trust in what a seller says.

And also, is it worth buying a piece with no box or papers?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. abrod520 Nov 15, 2015

What's with the two case backs? Is it offered with both? The second caseback (165.0024) is a modern replacement, though the one to the left looks to be original.

I've seen this one around and I'm not sure enough about the lume to know whether it's original or not.

And yes, 50yr old watches (in good condition) are absolutely worth buying without box or papers.

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 15, 2015

+1 regarding the lume, it's not supposed to be orange. This is a tritium era watch and the lume ages off white. Even the earlier, late 1950's radium lume seamasters, the 2913s, do not age this orange. I think it was poorly relumed.

Below are examples of seamasters from the same mid 60's era to compare

View attachment 172466
    image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 15, 2015

my tip: before sinking some serious dough into vintage omegas, stick around long enough so you can form yourself an opinon on what is consdered as one of the most fake-prown omegas of all time ...

boat2dan and PatrickJ like this.
  5. Kwijibo Nov 15, 2015

yep, the lum looks weird, couloured with some coffee or else? It should be more off white. I don't say it's a fake dial. The original caseback looks correct. The other is a replacement one (an extra 0). Finding a correct vintage dial is a pain in the a..
    What is your budget?

6. agonzaca Nov 15, 2015

Seems like you guys agree on the weird lume. Thanks for the replies. I'm really keen on finding a nice example of this watch. My budget should be around $5k .

7. Kwijibo Nov 15, 2015

I somtimes see some exemples in France. it's generally around 3500 euros. I will notice you if I see one. I saw a splendid exemple last month. sold in the day.

8. agonzaca Nov 15, 2015

Thanks Kwijibo. I'd really appreciate that.

9. agonzaca Nov 18, 2015

Hello again, I'm still on the search and I've a few other pieces that look good to me, but since I'm a newbie, what do I know.
    I'd love to get your opinions on these 3 inks.

First one is going for auction this weekend and says that estimate is around 4000 - 4500 GBP

http://watchesofknightsbridge.com/view-auction-catalogues.html

Second one price is 5800€

http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/seamaster-300--id3784353.htm

An thrid one is around $4000

http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/seamaster-300-mit-2-jahren-garantie--id3822146.htm

10. agonzaca Nov 19, 2015

Anyone? Help?
    I'd really appreciate it.

11. cristos71 Nov 19, 2015

You'll get more response if you post a picture as well as a link. You help us and we'll help you.

Who in Nov 2015 can be bothered with all those extra clicks ? :eek: ;)

But a quick opinion based only on a very superficial scan of the links....

1. The link you posted is to the complete auction catalog, the first 300 i came across looks the best of the three you are linking too and will probably beat estimate.

2. Didn't look further than the price which I find ludicrously high for that watch.

3. Franken. Looks like a SM 120 case.

12. agonzaca Nov 19, 2015

You are totally right. My apologies for the links and thanks forntaking the time.
    This is the picture of the one I was refering to in the first link.
    image.jpeg

13. cristos71 Nov 19, 2015

Hmm, that's not the one I was commenting on...from that one picture all I can say is that it looks relumed

14. agonzaca Nov 20, 2015

15. agonzaca Nov 21, 2015

I'd love to get your expert opinions guys.

Thanks

16. cristos71 Nov 21, 2015

Looks to me the best example until now. I like the matching dial and hand lume which to my eyes looks correct and original. the bezel seems to match up with the aging of the rest of the watch which is a good sign, only a shame about the ding, but it gives some character I suppose and without it the price would be more than likely higher.

The 550 movement is correct for US market. And also looks nice and clean.

17. m84 Nov 21, 2015

I know you have already moved on but no one else finds it worrying that the rotor shows signs of rubbing against the case? Or is this acceptable in a watch like this of this age?
    Either way good luck with your find! ;)