Forums Latest Members
  1. sbomega Jan 9, 2017

Closing in on buying my first Speedmaster - I want to make sure I'm covering all of my bases and will be happy with my purchase.

I was originally hunting a watch with box and papers. I don't personally really care about the box and papers (more to store) unless it dramatically affects the value of the watch (like by more than $500). Any thoughts on this?

Is there anything in particular other than damage/wrong parts/polish that can drastically affect the value of a vintage watch? Want to make sure I'm not missing something in pictures I should be looking for.

fibonacci086 likes this.
  2. Mapearso Jan 9, 2017

3. Bumper Jan 9, 2017

Best if you can post the pics, there are so many models and there are different things to look out for as they vary in specs/parts.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 9, 2017

Yes, and we like pics of watches. Just because.

5. Tubber Jan 9, 2017

Moon Watch Only book is also an invaluable guide. As well as condition, condition and condition.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 9, 2017

Other than the things you mention, make sure the movement number matches accepted range for the reference; as best you can, make sure the movement is in decent shape and everything works; ideally pushers and crown and even crystal are original but not deal breakers for most; relumed dials are worth less than original.

If you're not sure, ask here (even by PM) before you commit.

Edit: on the question of the box, there's quite a few threads about that here already. It basically boils down to personal preference. For value, check Ebay of what box and papers have sold for. That's what you'd pay to add one later, but not necessarily what premium it adds when bought with a watch (assuming they match), and buying after the fact will never feel right (imho).

I consider box and stuff bonus, but lack of them wouldn't keep me from buying a good watch.

Edited Jan 9, 2017
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 10, 2017

Define vintage watch. What years/models are you looking at?