Forums Latest Members
  1. subehasta Feb 3, 2020

Hello everybody!

After having bought some vintage watches from local auctions during the last two decades (Only one of them is an Omega: the bumper in my avatar) I have started my research of a Constellation pie pan.

I love them but I have never had the oportunity to find a nice one locally... and when you start looking on ebay, lots of doubts about genuinity and value arise. And when asking Google my doubts, I always arrive at that forum, where it seems that lives the best Omega knowledge in the Internet.

So, after weeks of reading to you silently, I finally decided to log in and start asking for your help in the fishing adventure of my first Constellation pie pan. Hope you could help me.

And my first question is: Do I use EBay to start looking for my Connie, or are there better sources?

Thanks in advance!

Faz and chulyquang like this.
  2. OMEGuy Feb 3, 2020

Hello and welcome!

Looking on ebay is an option, but there are many other better pieces available from dealers or here on the forum, if you take some time to do your own research and find out what is important and how to spot a "nice Connie", which is suiting your taste.

There are many vintage Constellations in various designs and with different dial, case and movement variations, even considering the pie pan versions, so simply wanting "a Connie" maybe is too rough to define what you are looking for.

The prices vary VERY much and it is worth being patient and sort the offers. Your piece will finally come along. Don't be hasty!

The most important things you'll have to check are: is the dial original or repainted/redialed? Is the case unpolished or are the sharp edges gone due to previous attempts to keep the watch "nice", are crown and hands matching the reference (Google searching helps a lot), has the movement been serviced recently (if not, add some hundred$$ to the asking price).

You will find answers to all of these questions here, once you found a watch you'd like to buy (after you made your own observations) and I recommend that you send high resolution pictures of the watch along with your request.

The most appropriate source, for any kind of vintage OMEGA, is to check the FS section here on the forum. There are a lot of honest and reasonably priced watches there.

Good luck with your search! I am curious what you'll decide to buy... :)

subehasta likes this.
  3. subehasta Feb 3, 2020

Hello and thank you very much!

I am learning a lot reading from all of you and now I feel a bit surer. Anyway, it is a great support to have the opportunity to ask you before making any final decission.

Regarding the kind of pie pan, I love the 168.005, which I have read is one of the most dangerous because of the number of fakes and Frankens. I saw a 168.0065 from Japanese market which I felt nice too... Starting to identify hands, crowns and shapes to avoid excessive polishing. I feel more or less comfortable identifying redials. Learning about movements 561 and 564 and their structure... finding more difficulties with the 1010 of the 168.0065... as said, learning...

Be sure I will ask you before buying, and I will explain the options found.

Thanks again and hope to be a good alumn

OMEGuy likes this.
  4. chulyquang Feb 4, 2020

welcome

subehasta likes this.
  5. subehasta Feb 4, 2020

Thank you very much chulyquang!

6. NYCwatchgal Feb 21, 2020

Welcome!

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 21, 2020

Welcome,

Given the number of fakes around and your relative lack of experience I would stay away from Ebay. Most, if not all, of the watches you will find here are somehow vetted by the community and you will typically find better examples at better prices.

Search both in the private watch sale section and the watch sale section and feel free to PM individual sellers that may have or be able to source exactly what you want.

Good Luck!!