Forums Latest Members

Hello from new member and new Planet Ocean owner!

1. SpeedTripleR Dec 29, 2017

Hi all,

Been looking at this forum for a while now and it really helped me decide on my first Omega that I bought yesterday.
    It was a very tough decision between a Seamaster Planet Ocean and a Moonwatch Pro with either hesalite or Saphire front and back.

Both amazing looking watches in my opinion but in the end, I decided on the Planet Ocean as my first Omega as I will wear it daily and felt more robust when I tried them both on in the AD. It’s also automatic which I think will work better for me as a daily wearer rather than having to remember to wind it.

The Speedy is most definitely still on my list though and will hopefully get one in the not too distant future. Having bought the more expensive of the two, saving for the Speedy will be slightly faster I guess. I may even look at getting a used one as they seem to pop up quite often.

Here’s a few pics of my 43.5 Black Planet Ocean.... C3E4C6E8-93E2-416B-9D73-7FFE64103C73.jpeg 2065FE9A-ACC7-4808-A2F5-DEED6CB1AF72.jpeg 7224C17C-953A-4054-88C9-4210CF7B700E.jpeg

Happy New Year to you all,

Michael

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 29, 2017

Welcome to the madness ( you have it if your already talking about your next watch whilst showing one you just bought )

You done well there for a daily wearer. Enjoy it.

Jerseyhammer and SpeedTripleR like this.
  3. drhombus24 Dec 29, 2017

Congrats! What made you pick the PO? I have a PO currently and really like it, but I have been offered a trade for a very nice moonwatch from a website and I think I am going to take it. Still don’t know though.... I don’t have the money for both

SpeedTripleR likes this.
  4. SpeedTripleR Dec 29, 2017

I picked the Planet Ocean over the Moonwatch for the following reasons....
    Being my first Omega I wanted something that I could wear daily and not have to worry about too much. The Moonwatch is certainly nice to look at but didn’t feel anywhere near as solid as the Seamaster.
    The Hesalite crystal sounds like it scratches relatively easy and although most scratches can be polished out, my job is fairly physical at times and I feel that I’d spend more time polishing the watch than I’d be wearing it.
    I also wanted a watch that had a clear case at the back. Although this is a bit of a novelty I’d rather have this on the Seamaster and can therefore make a later purchase of a ‘proper authentic’ Moonwatch with hesalite crystal rather than opting for the Saphire sandwich. Although the movement on the Speedy Pro looks amazing, I would rather have the original when buying a Moonwatch.
    I also wanted and automatic watch rather than a wind up as a daily wearer. With the Planet Ocean I can wear it daily and know that it should be able to keep the time without too much effort. If however I bought the Moonwatch and forgot to wind it on a regular basis, the time would be wrong when I am at work and this would start to bug me!

For these reasons I feel that the Planet Ocean makes a better watch as a daily wearer for my circumstances. The Moonwatch would be used far less often and that’s why I will get one as and when I have the spare cash in the future. The Moonwatch is also a fair bit cheaper than the Planet Ocean. Knowing that eventually I would own both watches, I thought it would make sense to get the more expensive one while I have the chance.

To anyone in the process of thinking about making a purchase of an expensive luxury watch, I would certainly do some research on prices. I was able to haggle 12% off the price in a high street Omega AD without too much effort. They would have probably dropped even more if I’d pushed my luck but I’d already tried several other shops and none had it in stock and would have to order it in. I was impatient and wanted it there and then!
    I would have only saved 15% buying from one of the online grey market dealers such as Iconic Watches or Swiss Watches Direct yet I have the peace of mind knowing that I’ve seen and tried on the watch prior to purchase and should I get any problems over the next 4 years, they will hopefully be resolved without too much fuss by returning it directly to the store. They will then do the leg work with Omega on my behalf.

Michael

watchme likes this.
  5. drhombus24 Dec 29, 2017

Thanks for that. I think I’m leaning towards trading for the speedy. I really love my planet ocean, but at 45.5mm, i think it’s bigger than I can pull off. I will probably buy a smaller one in the future, but for now I think it’s time for it to go.:(

SpeedTripleR likes this.
  6. SpeedTripleR Dec 29, 2017

45.5mm is a HUGE watch. Mine is 43.5 apparently but a YouTube video blogger stated that it measures closer to 42.5.
    Either way, it looks about right for my 7 inch wrist!

Michael

7. Baz9614 Dec 29, 2017

Sticking with the PO on this cold snowy day in Southern Ontario :thumbsup:
    B1865BAF-C913-43C3-9B5C-250F32A12287.jpeg

8. SpeedTripleR Dec 29, 2017

That orange bezel goes really well with that strap!

Very nice

Baz9614 likes this.
  9. Baz9614 Dec 29, 2017

Thanks! It’s one of my own creations, and I agree it works well with this one!

10. FloridaGary Dec 29, 2017

Congrats on your timepiece and great choice. I also purchased my first Omega 2 months ago and love it.

ACDA0324-BF04-410E-BDA6-8DDE72615F8B.jpeg

11. STEELE Dec 30, 2017

Very nice Omega! Welcome to the forum, Michael!

12. tdg2064 Jan 2, 2018

Bought my first two Omegas last month! Couldn't be happier. IMG_20171223_105706562_HDR.jpg main.JPG

FloridaGary, Jerseyhammer and Baz9614 like this.
  13. JonAsh6105 Jan 11, 2018

I'm also about to pull the trigger on a PO, 43.5mm. I like the size, but I wish it was a bit thinner to fit under my cuff when I do happen to wear a dress shirt. The 39.5mm version was a little better in that regard, but I like the 8900 movement a little better, with the quickset hour hand.

FIVE likes this.