Forums Latest Members
  1. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

Just joined this interesting & informative forum. Don't have a "watch collection" (yet?) but I like the less rare 50's/60's Omegas (especially Seamaster 30's with sub-second dial, particularly black faced versions). I already have one of these (given to me) but I'm very suspicious it's a redial/frank after doing as much research as I could (all internet based) before stumbling onto this forum. I've noticed many of the same names/avatars (here) popping up on many of the sites/links I've been perusing/studying.

I see that a significant number of for sale watches (private) here only ship within the CONUS - bummer for me.
    Looks like this will be a more reliable place to find a genuine (non redial, non Franken) Seamaster.

Not sure if there are any Oris people here but my avatar is a macro shot of a recently obtained piece from the Oris "Jazz Collection" ie John Coltrane - perfect for a jazz fan who likes 50's style dress watches (of course I'm a big jazz fan).
    Cheers
    Romualdo (Stephen)

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 5, 2016

Welcome!

You have been awarded your first "like". :thumbsup:

If you want any more, post photos of your watch. :whipped:

IMG_5416.JPG

Jwit and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 5, 2016

G'day mate! If you PM the seller nicely, they may offer international shipping for an extra cost. Bear in mind that insurance hoops can be a long affair should the watch disappear in transit between countries, which is why some sellers are hesitant to ship overseas.

I did start collecting thinking Oris watches were pretty decent, however seeing so many Mumbai Specials on eBay turned me off them...

blubarb likes this.
  4. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

which watch? my Oris or my "Franken Redial?"
    is that "dynamic" emogee spanking with a watch?? - now that would be interesting

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

Even many that say CONUS will make an exception for us in Australia, incidentally this site is actually run out of Queensland (I'm in Brisbane, @Trev is on the Gold Coast).

When Americans say CONUS they often say it in lieu of listing all the countries they don't want to ship to ever (Nigeria, Italy, Former Soviet Bloc Nations etc).

blubarb and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  6. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

thanks for that advice
    BTW the reason I bought the Oris (was produced in 2014 in a limited edition run of 1000) was primarily the jazz connection & being a massive John Coltrane fan, I couldn't resist plus those classic 50's features were the icing on the cake

7. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

OMG what a coincidence!!! I'm from Brisbane (Aspley) also

dsio likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

Oris isn't bad by any means they just have no real following online, and definitely none that I've seen here. That and Jazz has unfortunate links to hipsterism and people that go to vegan coffee shops in West End & The Valley.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

About 15km away from me here at Indooroopilly / Taringa.

And no Americans reading this, you can't pronounce either of the two suburbs above correctly, just like you don't know how to say Melbourne, Brisbane or Mackay. :coffee:

10. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

was that a poke at me? I must be a 60 year old hipster (have grown my hair long again too) & I lived in West End from 1979 to 1990. I've been heavily into jazz for over 25 years now plus I have a John Coltrane Oris watch.::rimshot:::cool::)

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

OK well thats a bit different, I was picturing a 21 year old wearing a Fedora hat, goatee, Ray Bans and harem pants but you're certainly old enough to be an original Jazz fan lol

Halldawg likes this.
  12. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

sounds like you are heavily involved in this site/forum - saw someone post about your lack of replying to threads & your response of a backlog. I presume you have a "day" job or is thia a full time endeavour?
    BTW are there any local networks (Brisbane or elsewhere interstate/intrastate) buying/selling old omegas OR do they tend to list on this forum?

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

Day job is running a multitude of sites (including several other forums that do have advertising and are commercial in nature) and consulting in the field.

I have no proper internet at the moment (or since last Monday) due to Telstra being a glacially slow excuse for a telco and not sending anyone out to fix my DSL lines so I'm on 4G on my phone and have time on my hands...

14. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

We're very lucky here in Aspley - we were the first suburb in Australia (Wayne Swan's electorate) to get NBN (the full monty) so we have pretty speedy internet here though it has been a bit slow over the past 24hrs, especially last night

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

I'm in a safe Liberal electorate that has no chance of tipping, hence why I'm on the bottom of the NBN pile, what I wouldn't give to live in a pork-barrelled electorate.

blubarb likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

To answer your other question though, there's no secret group, eBay is a great source as is this site, there are some dealers like Ronnie at Brisbane Vintage Watches, he's not cheap but he offers quality service and warranty on everything he sells. If you need a watchmaker, the best in Brisbane is on the ground floor of Bowman House, corner of Edward and Adelaide St called Paul's antique watch and clock repairs, remarkably cheap considering he can manufacture almost anything and does trade work and too-hard basket jobs for half the high end jewellers in Queensland.

17. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

Thanks for that information - I've known about "Brisbane Vintage Watches" for some years but wasn't aware of "Paul's".
    I've got an Omega Seamaster 30 (was given to me as a present) that I'm highly suspicious it's a Redial/Frank (black faced) - I'll post a pic tomorrow when light is better. It's a 268 Caliber (serial movement 186,823,338 -> 1961) but the back screw in cap has 125.007-63 engraved/stamped. Could a 125.007-63 had a 268 caliber - they seem to be out by a couple of years??? - possible mismatch here? I know there can be a 1-2 year variation with the codes/listings.

18. Jonatan Dec 5, 2016

When my parents lived in Geelong we learned how to prenounce Melbourne correctly and I'm an Americain from North of Maine.

dsio likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

May have been a slight generalization ;)

20. Jonatan Dec 5, 2016

I have no idea how to pronouce the other cities you mentionned but I will work on it! :)

Halldawg likes this.