Forums Latest Members
  1. mmmadman Jun 28, 2013

Hi all
    This is my first post on this interesting forum.

I have a modern Omega (Seamaster GMT 2001) myself along with other fine watches.

I am interested in finding out about an Omega that my grandad left me when he died in 2001, he was 86 then and had had the watch many many years. It was on a replacement elasticated type bracelet which I removed. I believe he fitted this strap as he had bad arthritus and it was easier to put on.

I have incuded some pictures for you to look at, I have had a look on the tint and ebay but cannot seem to find anything similar.

The watch details:
    Case diameter approx 31mm
    No markings/stamps on case
    On the back it says "WATERPROOF"
    I have not taken the back off, I cannot se where the lever point is!
    Its a wind up watch that works and seems to keep reasonable time.
    It has a lovely Tic
    On the front at the bottom it says "SWISS MADE"
    On the crown it has the Omega logo
    It is well used/worn
    I don't know of any service history

That's as much as I know really, any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Mark

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mmmadman Jun 28, 2013

Sorry, here are the pics...

Omega 003.jpg Omega 001.jpg Omega 002.jpg

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 28, 2013

Welcome to the nuthouse Mark.

I can't tell you much other than it looks to be in good condition for its age and history. We have some absolute experts on this forum and I'm sure they'll be able to tell you a lot more about that watch.

Cheers

Jim

mmmadman likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 28, 2013

Hi Mark,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Nice original Omega you have there. Are you sure it is 31mm? More common is 33-34 mm.
    Possibly that's early seamaster but I am not 100% sure. I have similar dial configuration with black color. However the case and lugs are different.

71 Auto black goldtop WRUW LR.jpg

Dablitzer and mmmadman like this.
  5. mmmadman Jun 28, 2013

Hi Privateday7

Thank you for your comments it may well be 33-34mm as I wasn't sure where to measure to.

I'm hoping someone will be able to date it for me & tell me its specification, what it's made if and what strap it would of had, value etc?

How do I get the back off, there doesn't seem to be an indent to prise it off?

Regards
    Mark

6. Dablitzer Jun 28, 2013

Hi Mark,

Welcome to OF.

Nice watch, bombay style lugs possibly a 2791 case style or one around there. It will house a Cal. 26(7) possibly.... But can't be sure...Dates it around the late 50's.

I hope this helps, and once again, without inside shots we really can't be sure..

You will need a caseback knife to open it, it's easy when you know how but the first few goes can be quite scary!!

All Best,

Dab

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 28, 2013

It looks like you are already an expert in opening caseback Alex :) . Until now I am still worry opening with knife. The screw back is easy, though.

Herianto

Dablitzer likes this.
  8. MKelley Jun 28, 2013

Welcome!

9. Dablitzer Jun 29, 2013

Dear Herianto,

IF I owned such beauties as your deluxe pie pans the would probably be the same! It would slide through that gold like knife to butter! :)

Dab

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 29, 2013

:p Not only the gold. Even the SS need skill to ensure the knife not scratch the surface