Forums Latest Members

Hello Everyone! I need some help please!

1. TheNewOmegaMan Feb 25, 2020

First off i would like to say I am super excited about joining this site. I recently graduated college as a 36 year old who wanted to change careers to the I.T. industry. I decided to purchase a pre-owned Omega Speedmaster Limited Edition which is my first high end watch a few days ago and it arrived yesterday, it's so beautiful. I was wondering if everyone can tell me if this watch looks legit or not. I guess I just have the jitters throwing down that kind of cash. I purchased on it www.swisswatchexpo.com/, which have excellent reviews on google, facebook, yelp and ebay. Here are several pics plus the listing of the watch. Thank you so much!

My Omega Speedmaster Day Date Black Dial.png 20200225_192531.jpg 20200225_193058.jpg 20200225_192740.jpg
    Edited Feb 25, 2020
    artek and wolfe44 like this.
  2. Meme-Dweller Feb 25, 2020

Seems legit. Next time, ask before buying.

Also, Swiss Watch Expo consistently is priced higher than the market and their watches don't often come with papers/warranty cards/certificates of authenticity, which will ding your resale value. Double whammy.

RDL and TheNewOmegaMan like this.
  3. TheNewOmegaMan Feb 25, 2020

Thank you for the quick reply. My apologies I honestly didn't even think about going to an Omega board to ask. I actually came across this site searching for how to spot a fake omega haha. Where would you recommend buying next time?

Also, how durable are these watches? I only ask because now I am afraid to wear it thinking I might scratch the dial or something haha.

Edited Feb 25, 2020
    DaveK and Walrus like this.
  4. Walrus Feb 25, 2020

Hey congrats. I don’t have your model but I have a speedy date from the nineties that when I got it was damn near flawless. Obviously they will scratch but I find it to be a hearty watch. I am careful wearing it but of course I’ve nicked some tables or doors and I have no marks yet. I know it’s going to happen. Once I get my first scratch I’ll probably relax a bit more but I don’t think it’s a watch you need to baby too much and when you do finally nick it up its just your way of personalizing it.

TheNewOmegaMan, DaveK and ScubaRawb like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2020

I wear mine all day everyday at work climbing over vessels and machinery. It’s a SS tool watch made to be worn. It’s 100m waterproof and ok to swim and go snorkeling with

6. zinengineer Feb 25, 2020

Wear it and don’t worry, when you look at it and see scratches you might remember what you were doing then.....

TheNewOmegaMan and wolfe44 like this.
  7. wolfe44 Feb 26, 2020

To the op: congrats on a beautiful and awesome watch! You're going to love wearing it!

TheNewOmegaMan likes this.
  8. TheNewOmegaMan Feb 26, 2020

Thank you all for your kind words. I am definitely looking forward to wearing it out on a lunch date next Wednesday. The only other watches I own are 2 cheap casio's and an old Mickey Mouse watch from when I was little lol, so this is definitely a whole new thing for me. I am still learning the ropes as a watch newb. Next I was going to purchase a nice watch winder case to put it in. Any suggestions? I heard Wolf was a well respected company with good products. Possibly JQueen? Again thank you all and God bless.

Edited Feb 26, 2020
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2020

Most watch winders are a waste, you will have it packed away in a few weeks, spend the money on some new straps.
    Not many here still use a watch winder unless it’s a calendar moon phase that takes 15 minutes to set.
    A newbie thing to want, but you will thank me you didn’t buy one.

jankymutt, artek, Dedalus05 and 3 others like this.
  10. TheNewOmegaMan Feb 26, 2020

Ok fair enough. Maybe I will just get an ordinary wooden display case with a glass window then. :thumbsup:

STANDY likes this.
  11. KynaSD Feb 26, 2020

Looks pretty legit! Congratulations, it's beautiful and in a great condition :thumbsup: I'm constantly blown away by how well these watches hold up with time

12. Jeeper Feb 26, 2020

I agree, I purchased a 4 watch winder & it has not been used for years. I only recently found out about magnetism effects and can only assume that cheap winders do more damage to timekeeping than they solve. if anyone has info on that I would be grateful.

Jeeper

13. TheNewOmegaMan Feb 26, 2020

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a watch display case? There's like a million different cases lol.

14. TheNewOmegaMan Feb 26, 2020

I never thought about the magnetism issue. Hmm interesting.

15. Dedalus05 Feb 26, 2020

If you're thinking of a display case I'd recommend something that will hold at least a dozen watches. Anything less is denial - pure and simple.

16. MRC Feb 26, 2020

Lots of magnets in some IT equipment, be careful. Although there are not as many ways to kill yourself as when I started unless you're in a server farm with badly wired 3-phase and halon extinguishers :eek:

Having a fully populated 32U rack fall on you wouldn't do you, or your watch, much good either I suppose. But apart from that just wear the darn thing.

Ignore the large watch-case advice, they're bad people intent on dragging you into the N+1 tar-pit :whistling:

TheNewOmegaMan and Dedalus05 like this.
  17. jankymutt Feb 26, 2020

Everyone has different levels of risk aversion but I lock mine in a safe in my house and keep the more valuable ones in a safety deposit box at the bank. I live in a good neighborhood, but I'm not independently wealthy. To some, the loss of a $5k watch is like losing a timex ironman quartz watch. I can afford the watches, but the loss of one would sting. Again, to each their own!

Congrats on the new watch, but be careful! This hobby is addicting! Cheers!

18. RDL Jul 14, 2021

I had a horrible experience with Swiss Watch Expo - I would not recommend them to any buyer, beware.

19. Cayohuesovespa Jul 14, 2021

Congratulations.
    I remember my first nice watch. Also an omga. Started with swatches, seikos and myriad of others. Then the seamster. Changed everything.
    There's nothing quite like the pride of wearing a nice watch on the wrist!
    Wear it without worry. They are expensive but durable. They ding and scratch but if you worry, you won't enjoy it as much trying to keep it perfect. Believe me, I tried. I have a nicer one for date night and my daily beater is my favorite planet ocean. I tried keeping it pristine but I enjoy it more wearing it without worry. (I obviously aren't going to change the alternator in my car with an on but I do wear it to the beach or wherever!)
    As far as winders go, I echo the other comments, they're not really necessary but it's a fun place to put the watch at night and watch it go round and round... I have a 4 watch winder I use for decoration and for the current one I'm wearing that day.
    Again, congratulations!