Forums Latest Members
  1. Galico1952 Jan 6, 2015

In 1970, when I was a senior in High School and working in my families pawn shop a soldier came in and sold me an Omega Seamaster date model for $25.00. I bought it for myself and I still have it. For most of it's existence in my possession it has resided in my safe. With the advent of the internet and all the resources available on Omega Watches I was able to determine that it is not a fake or a Franken. It is a 1967, big triangle with no stubbies, pointy A's etc. It has sword hands, never been re-lumed, has a the proper case and movement (166.024 and a 565 ). The movement serial number is 27,943,645. It is in good condition with scratches on the case, but the bezel, face and hands are nice with proper match of patina, good click of the bezel.
    The issues with the watch are ones that I am sure are common to this forum: It does not have the original bracelet. I need to get a proper crown and crystal but from my research the bracelet will be a real expensive acquisition and difficult to find (1035 with 516 end piece) according to Arne Rasmussen's great Web page.
    I will never forget that the soldier who sold me the watch was stationed in Utah and needed bus money to get to the Midwest and marry his sweetheart.
    My questions to this forum is: Can I find a bracelet and end-pieces or a leather strap, what would the watch be worth as is and what is the value if restored with a proper bracelet and crown.

front.jpg back.jpg
    Edited Jan 7, 2015
    the future, Varasc, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 7, 2015

Nice watch. In relation to value, if you are going to restore to sell I would leave it as is as anyone who is serious would prefer it untouched. I am not up to speed on current values but you could do a search on the For Sale section here and eBay to get an idea.

Cheers

3. Galico1952 Jan 7, 2015

Thanks. I want to restore it because I think it deserves it and then I can leave it to a deserving grandkid.

4. marturx Jan 7, 2015

Great story, thanks for sharing!

What puzzles me is that the hands and dial don´t match colour-wise. There may be several explanations to that, but it seems to me that the hands have been given new fill at some stage. It may have happened at the same time as the crown was exchanged.

Great piece nonetheless, perfect vintage condition. If you keep it, get a NATO-strap for it, don´t bother to hunt down an original s/s bracelet for the silly money they command nowadays.

The watch itself should bring USD 3k+ at auction in present condition, so if I were you (=not particularily interested in vintage watches, and with no descendants who are either), I should sell it as-is. If you do, try a For Sale ad here, in the Private Sale section

5. Selbo Jan 7, 2015

The issues with the watch are ones that I am sure are common to this forum: It does not have the original bracelet. I need to get a proper crown and crystal but from my research the bracelet will be a real expensive acquisition and difficult to find (1035 with 516 end piece) according to Arne Rasmussen's great Web page.

Those 516 end pieces are a real thorn in my side. I've been storing a 1035 for six months now and I can't seem to source the correct end pieces. Ebay sales for just the end pieces are few and far between. If you decide to track down the bracelet, my advice is to buy a complete bracelet with the end pieces included. It'll be cheaper (and faster) than trying to find the end pieces later.

6. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 7, 2015

I wouldn't touch it other than the
    correct crown. But that's me.
    There's a history in all those nuances.
    I wouldn't even change the crystal.
    (but I'd find the correct one and keep it for a change
    of heart or the next owner

7. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 7, 2015

you need more tabs open;)

8. Galico1952 Jan 7, 2015

Thank you for for the information. The color on the hands vs the dial is actually pretty consistent, it is really more of a result of a bad picture. Both are yellow. The flash makes the crystal look much worse than it is.
    Thanks so much for the kind response.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 7, 2015

My opinion; no NATO, they act like sandpaper on the caseback
    and will ruin taht beautiful Seahorse. Hell I'd wear it
    on that Jubillee, I love the Jubilee's. Besides, that's
    the way the soldier wore it. :)

10. Selbo Jan 7, 2015

I saw your comment on the other thread and yes, you are insane! The headache, confusion with so many tabs is one thing but my biggest obstacle is my wife. She catches a glimpse of my screen now and out comes "are you buying another watch?!?" followed by my quick go to of "no, no, I'm just researching prices for a watch I'm getting ready to sell". Works every time. I have to keep my tabs to a minimum so I can shut them down quickly if she decides to cozy up next to me. But I have to say, you are a true inspiration. Your dedication is admirable (and your insanity is apparent). Just don't buy anything I'm searching for too...:)

TexasKevin, LarryG and JohnSteed like this.
  11. JohnSteed Jan 7, 2015

+ 1

12. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 7, 2015

Use your phone.

JohnSteed and Selbo like this.
  13. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 7, 2015

FWIW, you have a very nice watch as -is. I would have it serviced and include a new crystal and correct crown. ThenI would find a nice leather strap and wear the watch.

14. esspee1200 Jan 9, 2015

Great looking watch. Don't touch anything. Pull out the polywatch and see if it does wonders for your crystal.

VictorAlpha likes this.
  15. TNTwatch Jan 9, 2015

I don't think polywatch would do squat on cracked/crazing crystal.

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 9, 2015

+1. Lord knows I've tried. It works miracles on scratches but does nothing for this.

17. Billyp7718 Feb 19, 2015

Cell phone screen protector

18. redpcar Feb 20, 2015

The haze goes all the way through. I've tried with some serious abrasives in the past and learned this :(
    Once this kind of oxidation starts even if you polish it out, it quickly returns. Better off replacing and keep the original in a special place.

19. JG808 Feb 20, 2015

Great watch you have there. I'd get the movement serviced and throw it on a Hodinkee-style leather strap.

Slevin kelevra likes this.
  20. kox Feb 20, 2015

The crown on this one IS correct guys. It's a late 166.024 and they had the large screw-down crown which replaced the naiad crown.
    Everything on this one is original and correct (minus the bracelet of course), even the bezel. Clean it and change the crystal. That's it. Find a swiss made tropic strap for it (was an option in the late 60's - see below) and you have a very nice example to sell.
    One of mine says hello.

DSCF1332.jpg

165.024 officielt på tropic.jpg

Edited Feb 20, 2015