Forums Latest Members
  1. Rocket Man Feb 14, 2017

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have made a decision that I regret and am looking for some advice. I used to have a lovely 1971 stepped dial 145.022 that also happened to be my birth year. I sold it last year for 2000 GBP (same price that I paid for it a couple of years before). I loved the step dial and patina but I didn't like the fact that the bezel wasn't original and that the hands had been re-lumed. I flipped it to buy a brand new CK2998 LE because I liked the idea of owning a watch from new and because I will never be able to afford an original CK2998. Trouble is, now that I have it I really miss my '71. The CK2998 is an awesome watch but it feels cold - I miss the warmth of hesalite and brown tritium. If I flipped it would I be able to afford another '71 stepped dial, or even stretch to a transitional pre-moon? The transitional would be my ideal watch and a true grail for me.

I'd be grateful for any advice and/or sympathy that you can provide. Thanks in advance, Rocket Man.

2. watchlovr Feb 14, 2017

oddboy likes this.
  3. jimmyd13 Feb 14, 2017

Current prices for that watch start in the mid to high 3's and go as high as anyone's prepared to pay.

There's an auction coming up at Fellows might have something like what you're looking for.

4. Rocket Man Feb 14, 2017

I think a transitional is what I really want.
    Seems like prices for stepped dials shot up as soon as I'd sold mine. ::facepalm1::

Speedmaster 101 values them at '71's at 3400 USD which with the current state of the pound is about 2750.

5. jimmyd13 Feb 14, 2017

Problem for us Brits buying from the US is VAT, import handling and the weak £. The prices quoted in dollars basically translate to the same value in £.

Look for examples in the UK and EU (before we end up leaving).

6. DON Feb 14, 2017

Jwit, Rocket Man and Dero13 like this.
  7. Rocket Man Feb 14, 2017

Just because I'm a masochist, here are some pics of my old one. Please point out it's flaws so I can sleep better tonight.

I still have the strap, so that's something, right? :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2017

Flaws? Little darkly lit in the picture that's all I can see. Ok lume at 1,2,3 hour markers is slightly not as good above the step... sry man that's one of the best I've seen.

oddboy likes this.
  9. Rocket Man Feb 14, 2017

Seems like I may regret posting this!
    Okay so here are the flaws: hands have been relumed and are a bit damaged at the centre pivot. Also the bezel isn't original.
    But I admit, the biggest flaw is that I sold it. :(

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2017

Hands look matched well. Is it luminova that would show in hand? If so feel better it's junk ;)

11. Rocket Man Feb 14, 2017

Hands were relumed by Genesis watchmaking in the UK. They did a good job and it looks like it matches well in the photos above but in real life you could easily tell the difference as the hands were brighter, which bothered me.
    Would that affect the value at all?

Edited Feb 14, 2017
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2017

Yes and no. The watch presents wonderfully. But sourcing correct matching hands would be so minimal to make it perfect compared to any realized value. I'd put that watch just under collector grade due to the hands and minor bezel wear. Of course the Speedmaster gods might say I'm wrong. I still stand by my statement that it is one of the best -72's I've seen.

Edited Feb 14, 2017