Forums Latest Members

Heavyweight boxing anyone?

1. Edantony Nov 21, 2017

Hi guys,

Was in Brooklyn a couple of weeks ago and saw my 2nd Deontay Wilder fight. While I'm not an expert, the atmosphere and the sport in general I find quite entertaining.
    Anyway, I know alot of guys on this forum are English, and wanted your take on a potential Joshua-Wilder fight next year. They say its in the works, and if it happens could be quite interesting.
    Both fighters are apparently a bit overhyped (Wilder - Stiverne 2 was a joke, and Joshua-Takam was bla).

Wondering if more seasoned boxing amateurs can chime in on the potential matchup.

Hereunder a couple of pics i took at the Barclays Center.

IMG_3698.JPG IMG_3701.JPG
    Tet likes this.
  2. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Nov 21, 2017

I love boxing, only sport I've ever liked. Been to quite a few fights but not in a while (Froch v Groves II was my last one).

I'm less keen on heavyweight these days but I do have a feeling the division is about to come to life in the next couple of years.

AJ v Wilder is the fight we all want to see, I'd pick AJ but if Wilder can weather the early rounds who knows. AJ needs to stop bulking up though, if he continues to do so it'll be how own undoing.

Fury would likely beat both if he can drop the weight and get back to his best.

Edantony likes this.
  3. Edantony Nov 21, 2017

Saw Fury come in and challenge Wilder on the ring, at the end of Wilder-Spilzcka. Don't know if he'll ever get his crap together after that cocain issue.
    I agree, AJ-Wilder would be very interesting.
    In middleweights (? Im not sure), I watched GGG - Canelo Alvarez and man that was a good fight. Such technique, especially Canelo with incessant ducking was impressive.
    Being French, we do have Takam in the heavyweight who's towards the end of his career and Tony Yoka coming up. Yoka still has a couple years ahead of him before being interesting I guess.

4. Llewis123 Nov 21, 2017

Wilder does throw some unorthodox punches he has only gotta catch him once as we’ve already seen Joshua can be dropped but will be routing for the British

5. Llewis123 Nov 21, 2017

I don’t agree with fury beating them both

ac106 likes this.
  6. lillatroll Nov 22, 2017

Fury is the most useless boxer I have ever seen in technical sense. I think heavyweight boxing is difficult to judge because the power of those guys is what usually dictates a fight so anyone can win with a lucky shot. Technically AJ is a better boxer but you never know how it is going to go until you take that first punch.
    I boxed until 3 years ago My last club we had a former Ukrainian champion as coach. In Manchester UK the club I boxed at, the coach used to train Anthony Corrolla when he was young. My home town produced Lee Selby a current world champion, his brother Andrew Selby and prior to that Michael Smyth who was European champion and was the last british person to beat Joe Calazaghe before he turned pro. I love boxing but the pro ranks are a bit of a joke because fighters get to choose who they want to fight. Mayweather would have lost lots of fights if he had to fight some of his opponents when they were at the top of their game.

Edantony likes this.
  7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 22, 2017

I’m a Heavyweight boxing fan from a different era

January 1971, Miami. 5th Street Gym. Training for Ali Frazier I
    512BD107-CCF8-44F6-837D-FDFAA287F868.jpeg 6F5D4992-6C7B-4A4B-B3FC-05F085D89CD5.jpeg 693A9065-ED9D-4A79-B4D5-93264396EF0F.jpeg

Florin, jaguar11, Kdog1971 and 3 others like this.
  8. Edantony Jan 26, 2018

Got some tickets to Wilder -Ortiz on March 3rd. I think another headliner with younger Charlo is also on the fight card. Can't wait.

lillatroll likes this.
  9. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jan 26, 2018

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 26, 2018

Yes, I was 15. Ali’s entourage member, Drew Bundini Brown, collected $3 from every person entering the gym.

Kdog1971 likes this.
  11. Edantony Mar 3, 2018

Hi all,

So I bought tickets to the Wilder-Ortiz fight in New York's Barcalys Center tonight two months ago. My work requires extensive travelling, and so an flight back from panama to new york thru miami - my connection to laguardia was cancelled.

Im stuck in miami with the next flight out only available tomorrow.

Long story short, I have 2 tickets (around $90 each) for the fight tonight, and Id like to sell them to my Omega friends.

Please give me a call out if you are interested

12. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Mar 3, 2018

The Nor’easter got ya didn’t it? If I remember correctly didn’t the roof of one of the terminals at LaGuardia get torn off by the fierce wind? The timing stinks but better safe than sorry.

13. Edantony Mar 3, 2018

Yes, I agree... im trying to fly back via Charlotte tonight. The wind is apprently insane. Worst places to be stuck than miami, right?

My 30t2 says hi from the pool

image.jpg
    gemini4 and jaguar11 like this.
  14. jaguar11 Mar 3, 2018

Stopped watching heavy weight a long time ago. For me the glory days of this once great division are long gone as far I am concerned. I am also more particular on what I spend my time on.

Edited Mar 3, 2018
  15. Edantony Mar 3, 2018

Got on am earlier flight out, loos like I'll make it in time!!

Kdog1971, Mods, gemini4 and 1 other person like this.
  16. ac106 Mar 5, 2018

Wilder v Oritiz was a terrific fight. Nice ebbs and flows between the fighters and the outcome was really in doubt until the end. With Ortiz piling up points, Wilder seemingly needed a KO to win and then BAM! He got it.

Good fight for the fans and the sport. Here's to hoping Joshua wins later this month and we get a heavyweight unification that hasn't been seen in a LONG time!

Kdog1971 likes this.