Forums Latest Members
  1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 16, 2015

I am heading to The Netherlands in December for a holiday to celebrate my mothers life and birth place.

Do any of our European or Dutch members have some tips on other places to spend a few weeks other than Amsterdam. Looking to spend a white Christmas there and will be there for the whole month of December. So basically looking for somewhere out of Amsterdam to spend a few weeks. Antique browsing and non touristy stuff is more the style for the last two weeks.

A watch made in Holland will be on the cards ;)

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 17, 2015

We went for a day trip to Zaanse Schans. It's about an hour or so bus trip from Amsterdam and is a beautiful lake and village surrounded by several old windmills, some of which are still working and you can tour around. It's fairly touristy but also seemed pretty popular with the locals too.

The website looks a bit better on a computer vs a mobile but here it is. http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/
    image.jpg image.jpg

Alex_TA, STANDY and daswunschkind like this.
  3. daswunschkind Aug 17, 2015

As we have friends in NL and as we like the country very much, we have been often there.

What are you looking for your time in NL? Tranquility and peace? Or some "action" (may be limited in December, haha)?
    Don't expect your Christmas to be white. This is generally not the case close to Gulf stream and Northern Sea (I can tell, I'm living in Hamburg). So it will be quite certainly a wet Christmas.

Nevertheless, beside Amsterdam, I can recommend:
    - Almaar (and Noord-Holland in general, including the mentioned Zaanse Schans, which is quite nice)
    - Gouda (yes, like the famous cheese)
    - Rotterdam (often underestimated city to my point of view)
    - Texel (my wife has been there and liked it a lot. But that was in summer, so I fear it's real hardcore in December)

Traveling within the NL is quite nice and smooth, as the distances are really small.
    They have excellent roads and good public transport system throughout the country.

Enjoy!

STANDY likes this.
  4. emilio Aug 17, 2015

I am from Holland.

But it is really hard to recommend something in the Netherlands. The problem is that December is most of the time wet and cloudy.

If you like museums I would definitely visit: Rijksmuseum, Stedelijk museum (Both Amsterdam). But Rotterdam is also nice (museum: Booijmans). I live in Delft which I prefer over Gouda and Alkmaar. Still touristic but not that touristic as Gouda and Alkmaar.

If you have a car it is also nice to visit the provincies of Gelderland or Limburg..

daswunschkind and STANDY like this.
  5. Willem023 Aug 17, 2015

I might add:
    - Groningen and the countryside around the city: Groningen is a nice city with a walkable centre, the countryside is flat-flat-flat with some tiny villages. Did I mention flat?
    - Friesland: old-school farmland with Leeuwarden as its province-capital. Try to tell the difference between 'Holland' and 'Friesland'...;-) Also lots of lakes to sail (yes, even in winter, although that might be a bit chilly)
    - do not forget The Hague (Den Haag) with The Mauritshuis; a exquisite collection of Art
    - to prepare yourself: I really like this one

And do not be afraid to stay put at one or 2 places only for the 2 weeks: NL is soo tiny; Public Transport will take you anywhere in a few hours.

Edited Aug 17, 2015
    Geo! and STANDY like this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 17, 2015

For the time you'll be there, you can easily see quite a bit of the country. The museums in Amsterdam are fabulous, so you should spend at least some of the time being a "tourist". I traveled to the Netherlands often (though it was a decade ago), and always enjoyed staying near friends in Hoorn - if you want to live like a local, having a local show you the ropes is the best way. Belgium and Germany are within easy striking distance, and so visits there could be an option too.

STANDY likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 17, 2015

Looking forward to cold. Live in tropical Darwin Aus and December will be the build up ( 100% humidity and hot)

Doing the Amsterdam touristy thing for the first two weeks and was looking for somewhere for the next two. I was thinking The Hague and Maastrich but thought I would see if you guys would throw a few places into the planning think tank.

Thanks so far and keep them coming....

8. Georgieboy58 Aug 17, 2015

Working in the Netherlands for 50% of the last 15 years I can recommend (besides Amsterdam) the following three cities from personal experience:
    1. Maastricht (must see, a few vintage watch dealers there as well)
    2. Utrecht
    3. Leeuwarden

9. emilio Aug 17, 2015

Ok considering your own planning:

Amsterdam

Then to The Hague and from The Hague also visit Delft and Rotterdam.

Then go visit Maastricht as well..

10. lillatroll Aug 17, 2015

If I were doing this trip I would head into Germany once you have seen Holland. Holland is a pretty compact country so you can see a lot in a short space of time.there are many nice cities to visit in Germany. Belgium is pretty compact too, but it is quite expensive because if all the tourists, not sure what it is like in December, but if you like different beers then its worth a visit. Copenhagen in December is supposed to be fantastic, with its Tivoli, but it is quite an expensive country, more so than other mainland european countries

watchme and pascs like this.
  11. M.D. Aug 17, 2015

How about Belgium? It's close and the beer is worth the trip. Gent is a nice visit in addition to Brussels.

Alex_TA and Willem023 like this.
  12. Alex_TA Aug 18, 2015

The main place you must visit is Schiphol airport duty-free zone ;)
    Good prices for watches.

13. emilio Aug 18, 2015

I think with the current Euro exchange rate you can indeed buy watches for a great price there..

14. M.D. Aug 18, 2015

Gent is spelled Ghent. There wasn't much activity in the evening, but a beautifully old place to walk around.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 18, 2015

Belgium is definitely on the cards. Will look up Ghent.

Do have a sizeable purchase in mind

Aussie dollars :thumbsdown:

16. ConElPueblo Aug 18, 2015

Ooh… I am going to Amsterdam for the last weekend of August, any tips? :)

17. lillatroll Aug 18, 2015

There is a pub called de weld, you can find it on trip advisor, worth a visit. If you are going to the van gogh museum then book on line before hand same with the ann frank museum, the queues are horrendous. There is an all you can eat bbq rib place that is cheap and delicious I can't remember what it is called but I am sure it will be on trip advisor.

STANDY likes this.
  18. cristos71 Aug 18, 2015

A nice way to stay in the thick of it but away from the masses and the chain stores is to spend the afternoon wandering here:

http://www.de9straatjes.amsterdam/en/home

While in this area you´ll be able to see some vintage watches here:

https://amsterdamvintagewatches.com/en/

and here:

http://awco.nl/

Some decent stock, but don´t expect to find any bargains :eek:

Not far away and for cocktails and dinner I recommend the Conservatorium Hotel which has a number of options including Taiko for Modern Asian:

http://www.conservatoriumhotel.com/nl/restaurants-and-bars/taiko

I´ll leave someone else to advise on `Things to do in Amsterdam after midnight` as my family has full access to this computer :D

JimInOz, Willem023 and STANDY like this.
  19. Ramses Aug 18, 2015

As I'm born and raised in Maastricht, I really suggest to visit our beautiful city for a couple of days. Besides the nice atmosphere, great sights and good restaurants there is a lot of "watch action" going on.

20. cristos71 Aug 18, 2015

Yes, lovely city but Steiner always makes me laugh, Price On Request for a Geneve Chronostop! Do me a favour!! :rolleyes:

http://steinermaastricht.nl/en/shop/search/direct/omega

Ramses likes this.