Forums Latest Members

Have you ever initially disliked a watch, only to lust for it later?

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 29, 2015

Recently happening to me, and it's quite an odd sensation. I'm thinking longer-term about my collection and what "that one piece" will be that gives me the extra motivation on those late nights in the office. At first, I dismissed everything from AP as gaudy and pretentious, and that included the original Royal Oak (or the modern equivalents, the 15300 or 15202). But lately...I don't know what it is. The more I see them, the more I've become fairly certain that it could be "the one." Partially the history, partially the extremely thin case and beautiful movement, and finally, there's just something about that bracelet. I never saw myself as an AP guy...but who knows now.

So question for others - were there any pieces that you initially completely dismissed, but then some time later came around on and felt a longing for?

No thread is a thread without at least one picture, so thanks, Google!
    [​IMG]

Gavin, Nobel Prize and hansmaulwurf like this.
  2. Traveler Apr 29, 2015

Happened to me with every single Rolex - I absolutely did not want a Rolex, and certainly not the 'classics' ... I remember a friend of mine had a Pepsi GMT years back - I just didn't get it... Red and Blue? Not for me! Then I bought one last year... A Sub and a Datejust followed - both models I previously dismissed outright.

3. x3no Apr 29, 2015

Happens to me still.. Piling on with what @Traveler said, I too thought I'd never buy a rolex... Oh my first "good" watch, its going to be a nice vintage chrono, this and that.. Well come decision time, something pushed me towards getting a birth-year submariner.. I said, ok now that its out of the way I can go back to vintage chrono's and collect those.. Now I'm looking at maxi-dial 5512's because they are gorgeous.. Never thought I'd say that either. Not to mention I still want some nice vintage chrono's!! Need.. more... $$$

4. Hijak Apr 29, 2015

Can't even see a watch in that picture...more pictures of that fantastic ride please!::love:: Aw, just realized you were using a google shot.:(

5. lillatroll Apr 29, 2015

Dress watches, I thought they were bland, but every now and then I see a silverwhite dialed 60s seamaster and think it has a simple beauty and elegance that is asthetically pleasing. I am really into 70s chunky funky omegas, which is a far cry from these dress watches, but they are starting to grow on me.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 29, 2015

Rolex, in general. I used to dislike it and it's implied "I made it...in New Jersey" connotation. Then I started to like it..now I have 4 and probably a 5th coming soon.

7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 29, 2015

My Royal Oak 15400 says hello. It is a great watch. BTW, I'm only lusting after vintage Speedmaster parts that are hard to find.

116128-3241e173652ac62ecaddb310b00759da.jpg

bazamu likes this.
  8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 29, 2015

Ha, I wish I had both the watch and car in that picture. Some day. Like I said, late night motivation.

Gemini, you're not making this any easier.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 29, 2015

This is going to be a painful thread to follow...what a freaking start!

x3no likes this.
  10. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 29, 2015

I passed up a chance early last year to pick up a nice 105.003 speedy so that I could save up for something else that I didn't even end up buying. Didn't like the stick hands in the straight lug case for some reason. It seems that this year everyone and their grandmothers - including myself- realized that they are really nice watches. Still pining away...

11. Paedipod Apr 29, 2015

Happened to me too with Rolex.......went from hating the sub to not being able to leave this one at a friend's shop f780c884.jpg
    Fell out of lust though after a year that I couldn't bring myself to wear it as a daily piece, so sent it to a more user friendly home.

Diverdown, x3no and bazamu like this.
  12. gee_cee Apr 29, 2015

X-33 Gen 2. And Aerospace, and I'm on my second one of those. Conversely, for a long time I thought I should have a speedmaster (for want of a better term, a 'classic' version) but when I did it felt so familiar that it wasn't like having a new watch at all.

13. m84 Apr 29, 2015

Well, I've always been into 'tool watches' and chronos and not particularly 'fancy' watches, but as of late, for some reason I've been looking more into the Patek Philippe Nautilus, even though I know I probably will never own one...

Specifically the original 3700:
    [​IMG]

or its modern brother, the 5711:
    [​IMG]

Images courtesy of our friends at Fratello Watches.

ELV web likes this.
  14. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 29, 2015

One of these
    [​IMG]
    I originally went into an AD to buy a third gen dynamic and they wouldn't give a discount but they did offer me a healthy discount on their new model their new 2254. I was quick to show them my 1968 sm300 and replied why should I buy the copy of a watch I already have?
    Well suffice to say the sm300 was traded years ago much to my eternal regret but the dynamic has been secured and the 2254 will be mine now I've had time to reflect and make my arse sore from kicking it over the years.
    Retrospect is a great/bad thing when we reflect on what we shoulda woulda coulda bought but passed on.

15. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Apr 29, 2015

Just to reiterate what some others have said with respect to Rolex. The brand was never on my radar until the past year or so, especially anything modern. Then I just had to have the GMT Master ll BLNR. Pulled the trigger a couple of months ago and have no regrets.

16. x3no Apr 29, 2015

Thats gorgeous! Sooooooo.... You "don't" have this anymore? :-P

17. Paedipod Apr 29, 2015

Nope. Had the B&P and a spare riveted bracelet too! It turned into a first vintage Rolex for a young guy I met at the watch enabler. I think that he has now a DRSD as well[emoji15]

I did turn the $$$ into a custom piece and some antique glass vases.....

18. j.allen Apr 29, 2015

I think this piece is rather gaudy. Please, I mean no offense to anyone. I just prefer a little more petite and low profile.

19. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 29, 2015

Can't tell if that was tongue-in-cheek or not...

x3no likes this.
  20. alfanator Apr 29, 2015

Rolex.