Forums Latest Members
  1. 90sgensOmegafan Jun 21, 2019

I have brought Omega Seamaster vintage 166.010 168.024 cal 564 years 1969 to an Omega service center for complete service. I really love this watch at first sign but for daily use, it loses time too much about 40 seconds per day so I think this watch deserves for proper service. At Omega service center a watch technician checked my watch with skillful. In a short time, He lists the problems especially the watch caliber as the winding system, the wheel system, dry oil, dirty movement, and low amplitude. Service receptionist made an offer for an overhaul of 715 USD
    plus 275 USD for ROTOR(O722056xxxxx). They order a lot of parts such as Plexiglass, crown, O-ring, case tube, winding stem, case clamps but I don't need to pay extra, so I have a question why ROTOR is not included in a complete service price and very expensive?

2. connieseamaster Jun 21, 2019

The rotor is the weight that swings around and winds the watch. Not sure why it's so expensive, but the price for the service seems on point otherwise

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 21, 2019

A rotor is not considered a wear item so it is not included in a basic, although comprehensive service. It is considered a worn part analogous to damage.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 21, 2019

I have had my rotor replaced twice on my Solar Impulse, both times it was included in the price. It must have something to do with caliber number or age. The next time I send my Solar Impulse in they will need to replace the rotor again, as it is again making abnormal noises.

5. ChrisN Jun 21, 2019

I would have thought it unusual to need a complete rotor on a 550 series but, it may be damaged. They often need a new rotor bush (5501429) but that's about 1/10 of the price for the rotor. I wonder if the complete rotor includes a bush reamed to size - Al would know. It could be the reason that they want to replace the rotor but seems unlikely if they are an official service centre.

You could try somewhere else if you're not happy with the quote.

Regards, Chris

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 21, 2019

I seem to recall Al indicating the bushing is NLA and they are only selling the rotor complete.

7. ChrisN Jun 21, 2019

Could be true so I'm pleased I have lots in. The daft part of that would be that you still need to make the bush and fit it to the rotor so you can sell the whole thing - ah well.

Hopefully, Al will confirm.

Cheers, Chris

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2019

They are available. There was a time when I couldn't seem to get any but they have been pretty consistent with supply for a few years now.

As for the entire rotor needing replacement, it does happen, in particular if someone has tried a bodge repair to the pinion, like using a 3 corner punch or something similar to try to close the hole. I've had a few where people have screwed around with them enough that the hole in the rotor itself ends up oversized, and the new pinion is too loose when installed.

BTW the new rotors don't come reamed. Omega used to sell a set of the rotor and axle, and those were once reamed to fit each other at the factory, but they no longer do this. You might get lucky to find an NOS set somewhere that has been reamed, but I always count on reaming them out.

BTW to the OP, Omega is the last place most collectors take their vintage watches. I personally would advise you to get it back and take it to a watchmaker who will preserve the vintage nature of the watch for you if that's what you want. Omega will possibly change parts that will drop the value of the watch. The 55X/56X series of movements are easily serviced, so there's no need to send this watch to Omega really.

Cheers, Al

connieseamaster and X350 XJR like this.
  9. 90sgensOmegafan Jun 21, 2019

Many thanks all of you for answers very helpful, unfortunately, T_T, I really sent it to Omega and wait for 1-2 month.
    May I ask more question, this watch has jumping second and sometimes the second hand temporary stop. What is the cause of these symptoms?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2019

This is an indirectly driven seconds hand, and often if the friction spring for the hand is not set correctly or is damaged, the hand will not move smoothly. This would be resolved during a service.

ChrisN likes this.