have a garage... now need another cool car to park it in :D

Hi dear OF petrolheads,

I have been offered to purchase a enclosed car garage (basically a locked parking spot) in a not-far-from-here building... which is something I was in dire need of a few years back as I was offered a VW Golf Convertible MkI FOR FREE - I had to decline as I had no place to store it and I still quite haven't gotten over it to be honest... so this has ingrained a serious garage FOMO in me now.

Net - I will likely purchase the box (that's how we call these things here 😀 ), and I'm looking for suggestions of what toy to put in to justify it fully (yes, the logic is flawed, I know). There's a lot of car enthusiasts here so I'm expecting all kinds of good insights from the OF bunch - plus it's a fun topic to talk about!

Here are the requirements:
- The car has to be driveable - if only say 1000-2000km/yr. It has to be "somewhat" reliable as I will probably take my better half out for a weekend with it once in a while (read: every couple of years haha)
- It has to have a special something... I want to feel that tingle in my spine when I take the key from the drawer to go for a drive. Vintage is better, older than 1991 is even better as >30yrs are cheaper to insure in Switzerland thanks to the "veteran" status - but I don't mind more modern as long as it has soul... No trucks/suv, even the genuinely cool ones like proper Jeeps or Toyotas.
- Stick only. I like my 3 pedals.
- Budget: ideally below 30kEUR, with some reasonable flex for the right car. The lesser the maintenance costs, the better (so no prancing horses really, and anyway only the Mondial would work the budget, well not even actually 😁)
- If it appreciated as I owned it it'd be even better: I'll be very honest with the good folks on OF, I would like it to pay at least for part of the box over time. I would appreciate suggestions of cars whose current market prices have not already bubbled over the past decade or so...

Three cars that don't fit for budget reasons but that are my personal holy grails, so you get an idea of my fantasies: Corvette C3, Honda NSX (not the hybrid!!!), Ferrari 308/328. Voila, that's off the table now 😀

Here are the cars I have had on my radar screen so far:
- Fiat X1/9: one of my favorite cars as a young teen... with crazy Italian flair, and quite a unique package (MM, T-top). Prices are reasonable
- Toyota MR2 second version: baby Berrari looks, MM, T-top... love it! (see a pattern, here?!?). Affordable, too, but most have been "transformed" unfortunately
- Alfa GTV6 - I've never had this car off my mind since I looked at one parked in front of my school daily when I was a kid... I was so jealous of the kid who would step in that car to be driven home... 🥰 plus I've never owned an alfa and you're supposed to never be a petrolhead until you have, so...
- Honda S2000 (edited as I forgot it the first time around, duh): ticks all the right boxes and a strong contender in the list atm.
- Porsche transaxles, ideally 968 but I've always liked the later 944's too - prices are steeper than I recalled from a while ago though 😵‍💫
- Subaru Impreza GT or Turbo (so pre-bugeye): a staple here in Switzerland, on the plus side I'm a fan of the brand, on the minus side iIve driven a boosted subaru daily for the best part of the past two decades, so so much for the novelty effect then.
- Toyota Celica Turbo 4WD: Bio design, with performance and WRC genes. Same thinking as Scoobies, or Evos, but rarer, and they mostly seem to all be battered
- Mitsubishi Evo V -> IX - again, most have been modded-crashed... I've driven boosted Subarus since 2001 so I'd really like to own its Nemesis once in my life !
- Nissan 300ZX Z32 - struggling to find local examples...

The oddball choice:
- Jaguar XJS - XJ-S convertible: a true gentleman's car... and supposedly due to appreciate. (thoughts?)

Stretching it budget-wise:
- Lotus Esprit 87 onwards: still a looker, and an iconic model. No V8 as financially completely out of reach though.
- Aston DB7: The prettier XK, Callum's masterpiece. It looks to me like they are stagnating at low prices... is this going to change and are their deals to be made?

The modern choice:
- Toyota Yaris GR: I test-drove one a few months back and oh-my-lord this is the absolute shiznit in terms of grins-per-miles !!! Lacks some of the sexiness of a vintage boosted 4wd rally-genes car though such as the heroes of the 90's. Had the trunk been bigger I would have probably traded my daily STi in for one though...

As you can see, I am at the early early step of my thinking, with a big scope, and no real strategy for now, I'm just scanning through the cars I've lusted after as kid or a teen... I'm very open-minded, so don't take this thread too seriously, please help me get more confused than ever 😁

Paul
Edited:

I have owned two vintage cars, and, while quite different, enjoyed them both thoroughly. The first was a BMW 2002tii – a classic. Probably not enough oomph (i.e. acceleration) for you, but lovely cars, easy to maintain, and could be had within your budget.

The second was close to your GTV6. In the U.S. it was called the Milano Verde, in Europe the 75, and/or Twin Spark. These were made in the late '80s, and were the last to employ the fabulous Alfa "Busso" V6 engines. I have heard mechanics claim that only certain Ferraris could match the sound of those engines, and I'm a believer! They also featured Recaro seats as original equipment, and handle outstandingly well.

The body design is polarizing. I, and many others like it very much, but plenty of others are turned off by it.

Here's a very good video:

This was mine:

MilanV2.jpg

I have owned two vintage cars, and, while quite different, enjoyed them both thoroughly. The first was a BMW 2002tii – a classic. Probably not enough oomph (i.e. acceleration) for you, but lovely cars, easy to maintain, and could be had within your budget.

The second was close to your GTV6. In the U.S. it was called the Milano Verde, in Europe the 75, and/or Twin Spark. These were made in the late '80s, and were the last to employ the fabulous Alfa "Busso" V6 engines. I have heard mechanics claim that only certain Ferraris could match the sound of those engines, and I'm a believer! They also featured Recaro seats as original equipment, and handle outstandingly well.

The body design is polarizing. I, and many others like it very much, but plenty of others are turned off by it.

Here's a very good video:

This was mine:

MilanV2.jpg

I've owned an Alfa 33, Alfasud and Alfetta - love Alfa Romeos, some of the most endearing vehichles.

I like your reasoning.

Take a look at a pre-1973 MG midget.

I have one in the basement as a rolling project and it will be epic once finished. Parts availability is the best I know, they are dirt cheap yet difficult to find in good condition.
I hear the driving is epic given low weight (700 kg) and small size. Engine is a de-tuned mini cooper so should fly up to 80-90 kph.

Alfa GTV6
Any Alfa with a Busso V6 😀 They were built after 1990 but 156 or 147 GTA.
Or a Giulia Junior. Spider Duetto Gen 2 too (Gen 1 would be out of budget).
If we stick with Italia: Fiat Barchetta or the Coupe?

S2000 or Clio V6 are known to be awesome too but their 1st gen had a tendency to try to kill you (especially the Clio)
And if you do not mind a cool car that may not start and try to kill you, I suggest a TVR. They produced some of the coolest cars, especially late 90's early 00's 👍 Should be around the same price as a DB7

in Europe the 75, and/or Twin Spark
In fact the 75 was available with the V6 or the L4 Twin Spark, both called the 75 😉

I have an 1989 XJS V12 convertible I’m thinking of moving on. Remember most of these are auto. Very few manuals esp V12. Great cruiser and weekend trips to ice cream shop with my daughter.
60194EB7-3A21-4B19-ACF3-B1570A4FFFD4.jpeg

On the subject of Alfa V6's, perhaps a 156, or 147 GTA?

The 147 parts are still relatively obtainable, less so on the 156 and these are appreciating quite nicely.

Alternatively a GT 3.2 V6?

Get a Miata. Super dependable and a blast to drive. Could buy two used ones with your budget, or a new one. I think the new RF model is a thing of beauty.

Cheers everyone for the quality inputs - keep'em coming!

@Tony C. yes, the 75's styling is polarizing I must admit! thanks for your comment as it also makes me realize I'm not so much in the market for anything than a 2-door, with our without a roof unless it has rally genes and a gaudy wing! The Busso V6 is the stuff of legend indeed.

@ConElPueblo yes... I might be ripe for an alfa or even an Italian car, indeed! 😀

@Dries looks like one cool project car you have here! I barely came to peace with the fact that I *could* maybe get into 80's Italian cars, I don't think I am ready for 60's-70's British cars yet! My dad at some point had a TR4 which he loved but I recall made him feel miserable every time it broke down (and it appeared to do that rather often...). He sold it after two years as it was driving him nuts...

@Lurk41 None of the 90's Alfa do it for me nowadays... I loved the 156 when it was released but somehow it has not stuck in my mind. Are they really appreciating now? I know the 147 GTA is, I toured Switzerland's best passes for a full-day with a group of car-nut friends a couple of years ago and one of them was driving one then (he drives a 991 GT3 atm...) and he loved it dearly. Somehow it doesn't quite do it for me and I can't quite explain why, I'm sorry... Giulia Junior is lovely but probably a bit too vintage for me. I'm not a fan of the Spider either, except the original one, I think it went downhill from there, I do respect the car's longevity for sure though!

S2000 - ABSOLUTELY! I've had in on my shortlist since the very beginning, I can't believe I forgot it in the first post... by yes, it's high in the list for now.

Clio V6: too much of a handful to drive for my low skills I'm afraid... also the well-sorted ones are maxxing out the budget and I'm not sure I will ever agree to spend this much on a French car (and I'm French, so I can afford to say this...)

@Donn Chambers : and the answer always is "Miata" 😁 but it's a good answer for sure. I've loved the mx5/miata since day one, my dad and I used to talk about how perfect that car was when it was released... my dad loved the Elan too, so he knew his car stuff! I won't buy one yet however for now, however: a 1st-gen , pristine, red, with minilites, gorgeous one will come to me sooner or later as I have first dibs on a close frien's car... he's planning to keep it for another (long) while though, but at some point in a decade or so he will pass it to me. The box is ticked in advance!

Please keep'em coming... it's actually really helpful 😀

Drive Tastefully 😉

Paul
Edited:

Honda S2000? (sorry just saw you posted while I was typing this out but I'm still keeping my vote for it hah)
Lotus Elise?
If you want a 944 - they may be getting more expensive in the near future.

What a great looking cars mentioned in this thread. But to be honest, there’s only one which is above all others - S2000. What a machine this is. The thing is it’s so difficult to get one in a reasonable condition. Too many were victims of young tuners…

I’ve enjoyed owning/driving “special interest” cars for several decades. Older Corvettes, Camaros, Porsches have all come and gone, while the current occupants of the stable are a 1967 VW Beetle, and a 2004 Honda S2000. The Beetle is an original, 210,000 mile example that I drive nearly everyday, and the S2K is all original with 41,000 miles on the odo that I only drive on nice, top down weather days. I also enjoy doing all of the repairs and maintenance on my cars myself…and I find both the Beetle and the S2K are fairly simple to work on with a decent set of hand tools.

B319747E-3EEE-422A-8C96-944BBC36C933.jpeg 9FD6035E-87BA-4F7F-ACD1-0CAE7B54E6F9.jpeg

What a great looking cars mentioned in this thread. But to be honest, there’s only one which is above all others - S2000. What a machine this is. The thing is it’s so difficult to get one in a reasonable condition. Too many were victims of young tuners…

Good, all original, low mileage s2K’s are out there, however, they’re not inexpensive. The demand has really taken off over the last 2 years, and the market continues to advance. One of the best sources I’ve found for finding and buying a good S2K is the online auction site bringatrailer.com. Every week, there’s at least one good example offered there.

Not a car person at all. For me they are a money draining means to an end. I like driving, but have no interest in cars, however, I had one of these in the years BC (Before Children) and never enjoyed driving a car more.

classic_and_sports_car_buyers_guide_Citroen_2CV_TB_lead.png

Why not a 996 series 911? The insane deal that the turbos were (where they sold for $30K USD for a long time) seems to have passed, but the non turbos are still cheap. There's a 2004 Cabriolet with the IMS already done for $24K near me. Or if you want to go really cheap, get a 996 series Boxster S, which is a ton of fun to drive, and even with the IMS fix costs around $10K.

Obviously I have no idea what they sell for in Switzerland.

The first was a BMW 2002tii – a classic. Probably not enough oomph (i.e. acceleration) for you, but lovely cars, easy to maintain, and could be had within your budget.
I love these. Like, a lot. And I’ll also suggest an E30, an heir to the 2002. Again, not a lot of oomph, but easy to maintain, reliable, and they will never be cheaper than they are today.

Here’s mine:
07837A10-8C12-4002-ADDD-B1FEAA734860.jpeg

I'm not sure I will ever agree to spend this much on a French car (and I'm French, so I can afford to say this...)
Even if it was an Alpine? 😜 Ok the real A110 costs nearly twice as much now... And Clio V6 vs DB7, I'll go DB7 too. The V6 is great but at this price and with its cheap interior (I'm entitled, I'm french too), it is great only if you already have a small collection... A shame because Renault Sport is building the best chassis of the production
Same league as the DB7 for less you have the Maserati 3200GT. Boomerang taillights are awesome

+1 on the Elise @vbrad26

S2000 was on my list when I was looking to change my car, as well as GTA's (especially 156 SW). I did not buy one, neither sell my 147 TS. Instead, I got my motorcycle license and bought a Triumph 😁

For something affordable, reliable and easy to fix: Ford Capri, preferably a 3.0 or 2.8 litre version. With a bit more money, a Ford Mustang 1965-1973, price depending on engine. Or surprise yourself with looking at prices for Mustang in the third generation, 1979-1993. A GT V8 is within reach.

Have S2000; can recommend 👍

Not ideal if you want it for winter getaways though. On the other hand, maintenance is nil - it will start right up every time you want to take an occasional drive or trip.