Forums Latest Members

Has Speedy's bezel ever come in handy?

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 14, 2015

I have just bought my first Speedy and while I am waiting (and getting more and more exited) to get my hands on it, I wonder if any of you Speedy owners have used your Speedy bezels for what they were intended. I mean one can always use it to calculate speed, distance or pulse but have any of your ever needed it??

Anyway glad to soon be member of the "Club" :)

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner May 14, 2015

Yes, i checked my tachymeter from the car with that - what is the differende between real speed and the speed displayed. Drive with autopilot with a constant speed and check it with the tachymetre scala of the speedy (the kilometers are displayed at german Autobahn!)

Togri v. 2.0 and Mad Dog like this.
  3. Georgieboy58 May 14, 2015

This is exactly what I use it for, so I can set my cruise control up to be within the limit (+ 20 km/h).

4. Canuck May 14, 2015

Like the 4wd on my truck. Not used often, but nice to have when you need it. I time my boiled egg with my chronographs. Considering watch companies like pre-Tag Heuer, these company's entire product lines were made up of timers of all sorts, exclusively. Back in the day, the chronograph was a service item, or a "tool" watch that served a practical purpose for those that owned them. Now, I think to many collectors, it's mostly the technological look.

Togri v. 2.0, lenny and Mad Dog like this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 14, 2015

Chrono, yes, absolutely. Tachy, occasionally, mostly for fun like telling my daughters how fast they can ride their bikes from one end of the block to the other and how far they would get if they rode that fast for an hour.. mini math lesson in there too.. ;)

KIMBER, Togri v. 2.0 and Mad Dog like this.
  6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude May 14, 2015

Perhaps not as intended.
    DON Bezel = Ready currency worldwide = Get out of jail free card :whistling:

7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude May 14, 2015

Ever so slightly more seriously... ;)

although the Speedmaster's tachymetre bezel is often considered to be designed specifically for the motor sport enthusiast in actual fact a lot of the early publicity for the Speedmaster focused on it's use by engineers and production managers.
    It was actually described as the tacho-productometer (TPM) scale. :cool:

Check out old-omegas.com
    and specifically
    http://www.old-omegas.com/ck2998leaf.html

"The Watch for Men Who Reckon Time in Seconds" :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, things are produced so slowly where I work that the tacho-productometer is useless and it is the one time when I feel my Speedmaster would benefit me by having a date function. :rolleyes:

oddboy, Togri v. 2.0 and Mad Dog like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 14, 2015

Never use it. The chronograph however, I use every day when I have the watch on, and when I don't have it on I wish I did for the functionality.

Mad Dog and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  9. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 14, 2015

Actually I am pretty sure that was exactly what they intended, inflation proof

10. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 14, 2015

11. threeputtbogey May 14, 2015

Yeah, don't even know how to use the bezel. Chronograph is handy though.

12. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 14, 2015

The other day I wondered about the difference between the displayed speed in the car and on the GPS, which was pretty big, about 15 km/t... That will be Speedy's first assignment :)

Mad Dog likes this.
  13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 14, 2015

Great link!

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 14, 2015

I explained how it works to my brother once, who's a restaurant/bar owner and wears a Daytona. Got him to time a barmaid pulling a beer, and explained that's how many beers per hour that barmaid was capable of pulling. He's probably been pissing off staff ever since doing that :)

15. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 14, 2015

Quick question regarding "tachymetre"...

How does one pronounce it properly in English?

I see the device ( ` ) above the first "E" in "tachymetre"...thought it was a scratch initially...which sort of flipped me out...but I'm OK now!

Is it pronounced the same as "tachometer"...as in "tachometer" that we have in some of our vehicles?

16. Canuck May 14, 2015

The one indispensable feature of one chronograph in my collection doesn't involve my Speedmasters. I have a WWII Elgin jitterbug pocket chronograph that was used by air crew (I suspect). This one ticks about 15 bps or so, and the sweep seconds hand goes around the dial 6 times per minute. The sub dial counts in revolutions of the seconds hand. I use it for checking the rate of 400-day clocks after changing suspension springs. Start the chronograph at the start of the swing, count 1 at the end of the first swing, and stop the watch at the end of the 8th or 10!h swing. 8 swings for a full size, and 10 for a miniature. Regulate and test again. Within about 5 minutes, I can generally have the clock running within about 3 minutes per day. I could not do this without my jitterbug.

17. Maximus84 May 14, 2015

I haven't used the tachometer just yet, I'm waiting for that day to come. I do use the chronograph a fair bit though. Not only for timing things like cooking my meal (when to flip my steak, for example ;-) ) and timing the parking meter, but I also use at work in an aviation setting - timing the acceleration check at takeoff, or setting it off if the generator fails so I know how much battery life is left before everything dies, for example. I like using it for work as it reinforces the 'tool' watch idea, and is closer to how it was (is?) used by NASA.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 14, 2015

I do use mine for work all the time - timing rotor bearing damping tests, how long a watch is in the high pressure wet tester, etc. I also use it to time my dog walks - have to make sure I get enough walking in every day.

19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 14, 2015

I *think* they're referring to the decimal bezel in that description. It describes the way the decimal bezel is intended to be used whereas the standard bezel is specifically for speed.

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 14, 2015

I guess that, as it is a French word with the grave accent on the first "E", it should be pronounced "tacky metra" but in English, it would be "tacky meter". The tachometer is a different tool altogether, used to measure revolutions.

Mad Dog and oddboy like this.