Forums Latest Members

Has anyone bought anything good on Catawiki?

1. vicakers Jul 28, 2019

Curious to know whether there are any sleeper watches on Catawiki and whether anyone hasn’t picked up any gems?

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 28, 2019

Ha ha ha, if I knew the answer why would I want to tell everyone else?
    There are many dealers and lurkers who monitor forums for free information, years of accumulated expertise and research by enthusiasts.
    why would anyone want their hard won knowledge to profit profiteers or people who do not contribute, and create unwelcome competition, with auction prices getting higher and higher?
    Likewise— if there are no good deals, let people spend the time needed to find out for themselves.

Edited Jul 28, 2019
    Mark020, Joe_A, JimJupiter and 5 others like this.
  3. vicakers Jul 28, 2019

I totally agree; I meant historical purchases rather than live ones!

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 28, 2019

Historical information is very valuable. Why are you asking the question if it weren’t? You’re tryiing to save time and you’re asking us to impart our experience so you don’t have to do the research work we have done.
    And you’re trying to figure out where you can search for watches.
    And if and when we publish this type of information, it has the potential to draw hundreds of people away or towards this site or others- and create more competition for future opportunities.

5. rott3 Jul 28, 2019

No I have not...I get discouraged each time I remember they have 9% fees...

6. vicakers Jul 28, 2019

@Syrte I assure you that wasn't my intention. You say I'm trying to save time and leverage the experience of people on this site but surely that's what many people do on this website when asking about the legitimacy of a potential purchase? You will see that I don't actually do that. I read everything on this fine site because I want to learn for myself and not take shortcuts at other's expense. My recent purchases have been on that basis and I have made a few mistakes but not out to make any quick gains.

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 28, 2019

@vicakers I appreciate your intent may be genuine but in an era of spiraling prices, information about where to find watches is not information that collectors should want to broadcast to the whole world. At least for vintage watches.

Validating a prospective purchase is a different matter, depending on where the purchase is.
    If it’s an upcoming auction some people might be hoping stays under the radar, frankly my position would be the same.
    If you’re talking about a modern watch sold by a shop or individual seller for a fixed price it’s a completely different game.
    Sorry it’s not welcoming but the watch world is no longer as welcoming as it was.

Rochete, S.H. and vicakers like this.
  8. vicakers Jul 28, 2019

I understand, thanks for explaining your position - I didn't realise things were getting so competitive.

9. cristos71 Jul 28, 2019

Things have been very competitive for a good while now

vicakers and Syrte like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 28, 2019

What’s a gem to some may be a piece of mud to others. Catawiki = eBay = any online selling platform that the hordes know = caveat emptor = knowledge is power = sleepers and pitfalls everywhere. Do your homework, use your eyes and ninja watch skills, read between the lines. It’s the same everywhere :thumbsup:

Geme81, Rochete, Manny1979 and 3 others like this.
  11. Dan S Jul 28, 2019

I think this is really the key point. Catawiki rubs me the wrong way because they claim that the watches are evaluated by "experts"; however, the descriptions really cannot be trusted. I realize that even auction houses make mistakes, but the quality of the evaluations by Catawiki appears to be extremely low based on my personal observations.

12. vicakers Jul 28, 2019

Really good point, thanks. This was the basis of my original post.

13. Walrus Jul 28, 2019

I was wondering how that catawiki is with its “experts estimates” and how it works out with all the fees. I’ve seen a few nice things but once all the fees were added on it wouldn’t have made sense

vicakers likes this.
  14. KingCrouchy Jul 28, 2019

Catawiki a great place to unload redials and frankenwatches. Like the Cata in "Catawiki" suggest the "Experts" there are a Catastrophe.

Edited Jul 29, 2019
    Manny1979 and vicakers like this.
  15. Henneth Jul 28, 2019

QED ;)

457633EA-BC65-42AA-B241-64E97D590BC9.png

16. Shabbaz Jul 28, 2019

A lot of threads here on OF about catawiki. Not good. Do your due dilligence!

vicakers likes this.
  17. Rochete Jul 28, 2019

There is no expert valuation at all, it's uter BS. You can claim whatever you want no matter how absurd and that's what will be listed. So-called "estimated prices" are also BS, it's the seller who "estimates" it.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 28, 2019

What’s Catawiki ;)

Syrte likes this.
  19. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

20. Bernhard J Oct 2, 2023

It seems that Catawiki has improved in the recent years. The "experts" valuations still are funny, but more and more sellers seem to delete their eBay accounts and switch to Catawiki. Just these days I talked to one, who said that he is shutting down his eBay shop end of the year.

Here are a few examples of what I have bought on the Catawiki plattform in this year.

https://www.catawiki.com/de/l/72585987-tourne-brosche-spucken-eisen-gusseisen-schmiedeeisen
    https://www.catawiki.com/de/l/74438...rnblatt-quarter-repeater-herren-paris-um-1700
    https://www.catawiki.com/de/l/72424...tra-quality-no-reserve-price-herren-1901-1949
    https://www.catawiki.com/de/l/74657045-vacheron-constantin-calatrava-6732-herren-1960-1969

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: It is always helpful to know what you are looking at, anywhere. Today I saw two single handed French oignons on eBay, for really excessive prices, which had dials with a minute chapter ring. Did the makers anticipate adding a minute hand a few decades later? At least the sellers do not explicitly state that the dials are original ... :D

Edited Oct 2, 2023
    Mark020 likes this.