Forums Latest Members

hard not to be disappointed in Omega this year

1. dinexus Nov 17, 2020

Look, 2020's been a crap year for sure. Granted, there was no "Christmas morning" effect without Basel or the other major shows, but enough brands adapted to keep things interesting throughout the year, and for the most part, I feel like I've seen more new product as a whole this year than ever before – including a pretty full calendar of stuff from folks like Rolex, Breitling, JLC, Grand Seiko, Zenith, Panerai, IWC, Oris, TAG Heuer etc.

Sure, we got the 321 announcement (and slow rollout), the Constellation collection, the Seamaster 300 Bond, and we just got the Snoopy (along with a few weird niche products between, like the Alinghi and the Nekton), but with the exception of the Constellation (which, let's be honest, is not a global-appeal product, despite what everyone at Omega might suggest) we've only really gotten niche releases, rather than the usual exciting line extensions or full collection updates.

I've heard a few brands (like Zenith) only released 50% of their planned products this year, so perhaps Omega's done the same? Or many this was indeed everything, and we've just got to chalk it up as an off-year?

Anyway, if anyone needs me, I'll just be over here pouting with an old favorite for however long it takes to get a proper Seamaster GMT update.

[​IMG]

2. rjdemarco Nov 17, 2020

Looking forward to when they release a Planet Ocean Cal.8900 in 42mm case with ~14.5mm height.

oneover, Kmart, Nickyrods19 and 6 others like this.
  3. AntonisCy Nov 17, 2020

The new SMP GMT wasn't announced this year like it was supposed to have been so i am sure a few models where moved to next year.

4. jaguar11 Nov 17, 2020

Yeah, I think it has been a "crap" year for a lot of reasons.....

5. Alfista88 Nov 17, 2020

That liquid metal limited edition is perfection!! I wish the 42mm 8500 generation kept this sweeping hand's counterweight.

That spear shape counterweight on LM and 1st gen PO is beautiful, and adds so much flavor to this dive watch. I don't understand why Omega introduced a more boring counterweight the 8500 and 8900... and the divisive bezel hashmarks on the current gen.

I'd be a Day 1 purchaser if Omega updated the next-gen Planet Ocean to look exactly like the limited edition in your picture.

Knight4ADay likes this.
  6. dinexus Nov 17, 2020

...and not trying to make light of it by saying that a few highly anticipated luxury products not being released was the worst of it.

Dor_42, Tref, 8100_RPM and 1 other person like this.
  7. Scooterino36 Nov 17, 2020

Given that Omega is constantly criticized for having too many releases and model variations, I would say cut them some slack this year. :thumbsup:

8. Martin_J_N Nov 17, 2020

When compared to other brands Omega has had a very quiet year, true some specials have been launched but no major refreshes of the range, with luck Omega has a bag full of surprises for us next year.

Here's hoping.

9. dinexus Nov 17, 2020

This is really the right perspective to have.

10. Evitzee Nov 17, 2020

I think every company can be cut some slack this year, a lot of disruptions in production, supply chains and diversions have tossed businesses into the air. I've been waiting over six months for new kitchen appliances, continued delays and no end in sight. I'd rather have the watch people hold back new releases rather than introduce them and not be able to deliver.

11. pw92676 Nov 17, 2020

I thought Omega did a good job with its releases in spite of the overall context of the year.

noelekal likes this.
  12. dinexus Nov 17, 2020

As we flip this thread on its head to inject a little positivity, what was their release that you most enjoyed this year?

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 17, 2020

With over $900 rise between the ST1 to ST2 in a year and several thousands more for the 50th and Snoopy due to a 3861.
    I don’t care what Omega releases nowadays.

Nathan1967 and Eve like this.
  14. mr_smith Nov 17, 2020

I'd be inclined to say the NTTD SMP 007 Edition but it was announced in 2019 so can't decide if it counts (though I guess available to the public in 2020, so maybe a 2020 release?). Aside from that, maybe the Nekton SMP - I'm not fond of the bezel but like the fact that Omega is releasing no-date dials. I like date complications as well, but appreciate the option of having a few no-dates out there. And, the all-red seconds hand is kind of doing it for me on that one, along with the matte dial.

I've been hoping the next Seamaster 300 Master-Coax (I've been calling it MC2, for short) would debut before the year is out - I suppose there's a little more time to make it under the wire. Can't wait to see it.

Edit: Your LE Liquid Metal PO looks fantastic on that mesh!

15. Eve Nov 18, 2020

I was kind of excited about the release of new EdWhite, but with those price tags its just ridiculous..

KstateSkier and STANDY like this.
  16. pw92676 Nov 18, 2020

Great question. As far as what I enjoyed most it was Snoopy hands down. And also appreciated 321.

17. dstfno Nov 18, 2020

I liked the releases this year. Instead of further diluting the catalog with silly limited editions and stupid color combinations it seems that more thought went into the watches that came out in 2020. I hope this more focused approach is the direction in which Omega will keep going.

18. 3rdstringholder Nov 18, 2020

Have to remember, there were three major public relations events (at least come to mind) that Omega plays a pretty big role in that didn't bear fruition this year. The Ryder Cup, Tokyo Olympics and the James Bond release.
    Omega invests large sums of money in these ventures and my uneducated guess is that these events not playing out might have impacted a few new model releases. Even models that were directly or indirectly associated with these events may have been affected.

Tekashi_145.022 likes this.
  19. UCZ_15 Nov 18, 2020

A couple of ADs local to me said that Omegas have been selling like hot cakes. Might not apply to the rest of the world but apparently in London and surrounding areas - Seamaster divers, Aqua Terras, Planet Oceans and Speedmasters have been 'flying off the shelves' so to speak.

My first thought was that during lockdown, there was a barrage of content online in forums/YouTube surrounding luxury watches and Omega ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people. Sensible pricing compared to its Swiss rivals and amazing movements (co-axial/METAS etc.).

Bkenoman likes this.
  20. dstfno Nov 18, 2020

This applies to luxury in general. As we weren't able to p**** away our money in restaurants, bars and exotic holidays many suddenly had disposable income that could be spent on other things.

UCZ_15 likes this.