Forums Latest Members

Happy Ending to a Grail Search (Tissot-Meylan 815 chrono)

1. Dr.Sascha Jan 21, 2021

For several years now, I've been looking for a unicorn: a vintage white-dialed pilot's chrono with a black bezel, a nice movement, applied indices, all original, in good condition and at the sub £3k-mark. The other day, I finally found one!

This is a Tissot-Meylan in an 815 case, powered by a Lemania 872 movement. This makes it kissing-cousin to that rarest of Tissots, the 817 Military Navigator profiled here: https://www.watchbooksonly.com/articles/watch-stories/south-african-air-force-lemania-1872/ (at the very bottom). It's an even closer match to the Meylan 816 chrono profiled here, with which it also shares a bezel: https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-meylan-chronograph/ As the author points out, there's some shared heritage with the Zodiac Sea-Chron as well, it seems. I'd date this to the mid-1970s, though perhaps someone with more experience of Lemania's numbering nomenclature can be more exact.

There's just so much to like about this piece, imho. I really appreciate the contrast between the creamy white dial, the crisp deep-navy bezel, the jet black of the indices and batons, and the perfectly preserved lume on the latter. And then there's the sky-blue sweep and minute subregister hands--a little dash of colour in just the right spot, since it makes it easy to track the chrono functions.

As a bonus, it arrived in NOS condition and serviced in Sept. 2020. It even still had some the original protective glue on the back. I don't think it's ever been worn . . . until now. And henceforth, it's going to be worn a lot. Strap suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

So here is my wish to everyone on OF for 2021: this year, may we all find our grails, and may the end to that quest be every bit as satisfying as you hoped it would be!

DSCN4613.JPG DSCN4614.JPG DSCN4618.JPG DSCN4621.JPG DSCN4622.JPG Movement.jpg

Caseback interior.jpg Caseback with sticker.jpg

Edited Aug 9, 2021
  2. Wlcutter Jan 21, 2021

That's a spectacular watch--congrats, and wear it in good health. In the extremely off-chance you ever tire of this watch, I'll here note my dibs.

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  3. khanmu Jan 21, 2021

That's a beauty, congratulations! My Meylan says hello!

IMG_4829.jpeg

4. Dr.Sascha Jan 21, 2021

Really like the hands and dial on this one. There is a kind of rectilinear Meylan aesthetic shared by the two, which makes me think that both dials were actually Meylan-designed, even if mine is stamped Tissot.

5. amcclell Jan 21, 2021

Congratulations Dr. Sascha, this is a gorgeous watch! Thanks for sharing.

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  6. Lancaster Jan 13, 2024

What a find, thanks for showing! Best example I've seen.

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  7. Watch my Whisky Jan 16, 2024

Great find. I love happy endings.

Dr.Sascha likes this.