Forums Latest Members

Connie Deluxe happy ending story: drunken squirrel to dancing squirrel

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

On mid last month, I was bitten by a golden squirrel......or that what I thought so........

Golden squirrel.jpg

I found a Cal 354 Connie Deluxe with mirror finish dial in eBay at reasonable price from a seller in Spain. Having nod from mods & experts in here about the watch quality and price, I contacted the seller. Good communication, I feel I could trust him. Obviously we closed a win-win deal to do transaction outside eBay. I paid through PayPal and shipping arrangement has been done. So far so good.
    Suddenly the golden squirrel turn into drunken squirrel.........

98-drunken-squirrel 2.jpg

First the seller said he can not send the watch to my country by EMS insured because Spain postal does not have special agreement with Indonesian post. He refused to use Fedex and DHL because of bad past experience. He offered to return my money.:confused:
    I scrambled to find a way out, contacting several member here, fortunately Alex (Dablitzer) is willing to help me (Special thanks !!!). The watch sent to Alex in UK, he repackage it for me and sent through DHL.

I thought the problem had solved, but after several days I got email from DHL said that the customs held my package because it is a used item (D'oh.... of course a vintage watch is a used item) and since 2009 we need special license to import used item in Indonesia!!!!:eek:
    I argued with DHL reps, I said I had received tens of old watches package from abroad before without problem. She said since mid August, due to Asia currency turbulance, the customs increase their vigilant and catch not only big quantity used items but also single package item with any "Old" description. She advised me to contact MInistry of Trade to seek for exception approval for my package.
    When I asked them, the MoT said license for importing used items is only granted for company, and they don't deal with personal issue........uh...oh.......
    I contacted DHL again and asking about my option: get the exception approval or return the item to the sender. Desperate....I choose to return to sender. Trying to deal with the bureaucracy maze of Ministry of Trade is daunting enough that it extinguished my longing for this Deluxe.... that's it.

The drunken squirrel now has passed out.
    drunken squirell 1.jpg

The next day, DHL reps contacted me. She asked would I mind to pay tax and customs for my package as a new item? She tried to appeal to the customs office. I agreed to her proposal. I thought what the hell.... probably the squirrel has woken up..probably with little hangover.. but hey it's small light at the end of tunnel.
    After one week waiting, the DHL reps contacted me again, she said the customs office agreed to release my package and the customs and duty that I have to pay is lower than previous expectation. After arranging on Cash on Delivery payment option, the next day the package arrive.....yay ...::psy::
    Now the squirrel has fully woken up and can dance again
    Squirrel_dance.gif

(Borrowed from Dennis :thumbsup:)

Here is the watch......(seller photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NT931, rhetoric, Gavin and 5 others like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

Now it can happily joins its siblings.........
    Trio Connie Luxes (1024x540).jpg

Mothra, Gavin and lord83 like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

Looks Like a beauty! Congratulations you are this months winner of the Golden Dennis Award. Known affectionately as "The Denny"

DDD2.jpg

NT931, rhetoric and Privateday7 like this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

......Largest Nuts........LOL..........:D

Well two weeks ago, I even could not smile.........

5. ulackfocus Sep 20, 2013

Jumping through red tape hoops like a circus poodle can take a lot out of you. Glad it worked out in the end. You're building quite a nice collection man!

"Largest Nuts" - :p Yeah, big brass ones certainly deserve mention.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

Because of the incident I swore not to buy any watch for the next 6 months......

Thanks ........ Now I only need PG Grand Luxe to complete it. One had been sold in eBay last month from a bahrain seller but not in too good condition. JE has a nice one with strap and Sumerian had the one with bracelet. If Sumerian sold his watch to me I will fly pick it up to NY to avoid those stupid red tape hoops.

7. ulackfocus Sep 20, 2013

Good reason to have a NYC GTG. :thumbsup: "The Stage Deli De Luxe / Grand Luxe Club" has a nice ring to it.

EDIT: Oh my Gawd, I just found out Stage went out of business. :( Guess we'll have to do Carnegie's down the block. No drop in quality fortunately.

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

We'll see about that...:p Great addition! How many watches do you have now?

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

Now Kyle, you know a man never discusses his relationships with women and the full number of his watches :p

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

[
    I know.......this would be my toughest resolution. If Ashley can do 6 months without buying watch.... then I must be able, too !!!

It's a 'don't ask, don't tell' situation ....:D Well put it this way: I have more watches than what needed for every day change in a month....but I have far less than Mike's collection.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

Whenever my wife asks me why I have these watches, I will say that these are very good long term investment....:p .....Hopefully I am not wrong.
    I also said they will make me stay away from any other form of affairs ;). Which is true....'out of cash' man is far less attractive to other woman :D.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Sep 20, 2013

:p

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 20, 2013

Congrats, my friend. Is it a 2799 ?

14. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

Beautiful in pink gold... :thumbsup:

15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 20, 2013

Well done and also to Alex for acting as your European ambassador.

So what happens if all of your "Dibs" come in between now and Easter?

16. cristos71 Sep 20, 2013

Great story with an even greater ending :)

And the watch isn't too bad either :D

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

I remember seeing that one for sale on the bay I think? Wasn't that cheap (from memory... seller was asking $3500?) but was very sharp and very impressive, I had it on my watch list and was thinking about contacting the guy when it went *poof* but you know as long as it ends up here in the end that's perfect! Congrats mate!

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

Same here, we could have saved H all that misery.:D

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

You are right........It is 2799.
    [​IMG]

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2013

I am lucky to have very nice and helpful friends here. This is not the first time. Darren helped me bought face-to-face deal in UK back in May. Mike helped me securing the PG Deluxe which already traded to his friend.

That would be a nice dilemma to have :D.