Forums Latest Members

(Happy Ending!) I did not realize my Apollo 50th Steel payment was non-refundable at an OB.

1. nickw Aug 27, 2019

Warning. I did not realize my Apollo 50th Steel payment was non-refundable at an OB.

Situation in brief.

- Placed $5k deposit many months ago
    - Got call that was in and they needed payment for balance immediately while I was out of town on vacation - paid balance on credit card
    - Got back from vacation, had second thoughts on design, figured it would be more principled to release the watch to someone waiting on their list instead of picking up and just get a refund.

Learned that while the website has a 14 day return boutiques have a no return policy. The OB is considering this as purchased in the store and they do not allow for returns. My view is I haven't even laid a finger on the watch or walked into the store but they count it as a sale.

Well I feel dumb now. Anyone else who is on the fence should be wary about making a post deposit payment and making my mistake.

fskywalker likes this.
  2. Martin_J_N Aug 27, 2019

Sorry to hear this especially as you don't want the watch, where are you located as this is interesting.

I am in the UK and have paid a deposit on a white dial diver due in November, unfortunately my enthusiasm has waned and I will probably pass on the watch, the OB has told me that is fine I can either buy another watch or if there is nothing that I want they will refund my deposit.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 27, 2019

This tells me there is no waiting list.

4. nickw Aug 27, 2019

US, Philadelphia area. They called me back saying they would refund after all but it was extremely frowned upon and it was a bit of a guilt trip that they held it for me instead of someone else etc. My sales person has been great so I do feel bad but I'm in the midst of moving house and dealing with other things so $10k doesn't feel awesome for something I'm not gaga over. They convinced me to drive out and see it in person. Maybe my heart will change its tune in person but yeah I should have maybe smelled danger when I had to "pay balance past $5k within 24 hours when it came in".

fskywalker and larryganz like this.
  5. Stufflers Mom Aug 27, 2019

I'm glad you got your money back, I just can't believe how badly people are treated in the US, are there no laws consumer against this kind of thing?

6. dslloyd Aug 27, 2019

Was this the KoP store? I paid a deposit last year for the 300m Diver and was told I could get a refund if I didn't like it. Turned out I loved it. But I do remember them mentioning an approval would be required for the refund. But it sounded pretty much like a rubber stamp.

7. Stufflers Mom Aug 27, 2019

I feel a green eyed disturbance in the force tonight.

8. nickw Aug 27, 2019

Yes it is. I think the issue is that it was not a deposit but full payment on something that had arrived.

9. dslloyd Aug 27, 2019

Well, someone will be very happy that you are passing. I work with Jennifer at KoP, but I was way too late to the game on the Apollo 11 50th when I contacted her in July, and I know KoP has a long wish list.

10. 3rdstringholder Aug 27, 2019

Glad you got your money back, however, one of the prerequisite questions should be from any consumer in a special scenario like this, "what is your refund policy?" To hell with their bad attitude on the refund....You got your money back, that's what counts.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 27, 2019

I would not say that those of us who passed on the watch so someone else who really wanted to own it could buy it at MSRP are exactly jealous...

12. Stufflers Mom Aug 27, 2019

I'm sure that's true, but quite why some people want to get their panties in a bunch over a sale of an item that belongs to them is bizarre, but I guess it takes all sorts these days.

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 27, 2019

Feel whatever you like, but don't assume that everyone else lives by the same moral standards that you do.

Pilot85 and wsfarrell like this.
  14. kilofinal Aug 27, 2019

thank god we still live in a free country

15. EricCsN Aug 27, 2019

Scenario 2: The salesperson who made that sale has lost his commission, the next in line customer on that list may be that of another sales person and therefore not benefit the same sales person.

Larry S likes this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 27, 2019

Probably depends on what country you live in. There are OF members from all over the world. Some in freer countries than others.

17. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 27, 2019

I bet the salesperson lied to you. This was watch not customized and in fact not in your posession. Unless it's in writing IN YOUR HAND that there are no refunds, etc, they're just zooming you and trying to get away with something they shouldn't. Call your state atty general or whoeever oversees businesses and I bet you refurnds are specifically allowed.

Edited to add: now that I think of it, you should report this to Omega in Switzerland. They might have something to say about it. Their laws are even more strict than ours are.

Tom

Edited Aug 27, 2019
  18. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Aug 27, 2019

When my OB in New York emailed me to ask if I wanted to leave a deposit for the 50th they wrote that it would be fully refundable if I changed my mind at any time. So, I had that in print if I had wanted to leave a deposit, which I didn’t. I’m not much of an LE guy, especially those I haven’t yet seen. Once I did see the SS 50th, I was very pleased with my decision...just not for me.

19. Meme-Dweller Aug 27, 2019

that sucks, but they have a 14-day exchange policy only if it hasn't been sized/worn, so you could probably ask for a different watch

20. 3rdstringholder Aug 27, 2019

The OP got his money back....Getting in touch with Attorneys General and contacting Switzerland is a little overkill. I'm sure this man has more to do with his time.