Forums Latest Members
  1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 31, 2014

On a recent trip to Europe, my wife and I were wandering down a small side street on our last night in Copenhagen and saw a store that sold "luxury vintage" items. The store was closing up and appeared to have women's coats/purses mainly, but I dragged her in there anyways (hope springs eternal, right?). Under the counter were four somewhat unremarkable vintage/antique pieces and...a '65 Ed White Speedmaster on its original bracelet. It was the owner's that he had purchased from an auction some years back, but had offered up for sale since he had opened the shop just a few months prior to that. Since we were leaving first thing the next morning, I knew there was no way to get money out in time. Instead, I settled on taking his business card, armed with the knowledge that they didn't have a website yet and weren't a place where Omega collectors would most likely poke their heads in.

Over the next three weeks or so, we traded emails, pictures, and price negotiation emails until he finally accepted my price target (plus shipping costs). Then came an agonizing two week wait with four missed delivery attempts (all to my prior address, without my knowledge), before I finally picked it up this afternoon. To say I'm "over the moon" with it wouldn't be much of an exaggeration (but it would be a pun). If it's even possible to re-paint the minute and chrono hands, I may try to have someone do that during it's service in a few years. Until then though, I'll enjoy staring at Mr. Ed on my wrist. Glad to finally be a part of the club!

Speedie.jpg

Varasc, Pahawi, Northernman and 17 others like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 31, 2014

Great story.. Great watch...Well done!:thumbsup:

3. repoman Oct 31, 2014

Very nice! Welcome to the forum, that's a great find.

4. mozambique Oct 31, 2014

That's one nice looking watch and a great reminder of your vacation

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

What a great prize for following your Mrs into a purse store

6. cristos71 Nov 1, 2014

Looks like I´m going to have to start paying a bit more attention from now on when out with SWMBO!

7. ock2915 Nov 1, 2014

Great catch , nice piece , enjoy it

8. marturx Nov 1, 2014

Could easily fit in, in my unexpected thread!

Welcome to the forum, and a big congrats to a truly terrific specimen! IMO that one is in the same range as that chocolate 8k$ Ed White we saw on eBay.

I bet our danish friends on the forum are especially envious! :D

9. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 1, 2014

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. I've been a long-time lurker, so glad to have something to actually post about now.

This find will probably result in me walking into a lot of dead-end vintage stores in the future, but hey, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Stay tuned for the update that'll come after I find a UG Nina Rindt in a women's vintage store.;)

Northernman likes this.
  10. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 1, 2014

Hi CF

Welcome to the forum....great looking Speedy !

Dial looks to be fantastic condition....and the handset should probably be left well alone (if safe to do so)....I'm a big fan of original handset's....there is something just so 'right' about them:

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

11. Pahawi Nov 1, 2014

Count on it :)

Sounds like it went to a good home, though - congrats to the new owner :thumbsup:

bazamu likes this.
  12. Redwheelbarrow Nov 1, 2014

Looks great on the wrist with bracelet. Beware, next time she'll be dragging you into a watch store looking for a very fine coat.

dougiedude likes this.
  13. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 1, 2014

Hey, in that case we both win. I'm lucky to have a wife that understands the vintage watch addiction, since this addition was definitely not something that had been planned/sought out.

Redwheelbarrow likes this.
  14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 10, 2014

My B&S strap just arrived yesterday, so figured I'd post a few more pictures without the original bracelet. This is probably how I'll wear it most of the time.
    BS1.jpg BS2.jpg BS3.jpg

TNTwatch, pascs, JohnSteed and 7 others like this.
  15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 10, 2014

Very nice watch and liiks good on that strap!

B&S are among my favorites.

16. ricardorio Nov 10, 2014

Congrats and welcome to this exclusive club. Your Ed White looks fantastic. Ricardo, BA, Arg

17. applebook Nov 10, 2014

Looks amazing on that strap. Congrats.

18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 10, 2014

Strap's Great!

If/When I nab one, I will definitely be getting a strap like that one for it...

19. Varasc Nov 11, 2014

Congrats, a superb watch and story.

20. davidswiss Nov 11, 2014

Looks good and a great story.