Forums Latest Members
  1. Edward53 Oct 21, 2016

I've been looking for a nice early Geneve for quite some time and just purchased this one. It was at the top end pricewise but the condition is very good and although the dial looks almost too clean to be true, I've scrutinised it very closely and I am pretty sure it is original and untouched. I am however somewhat concerned at the length of the minute hand, but looking through old posts here I've seen other examples with the same thing in the collections of people who seem pretty clued up.

So - should I send this back, or are the hands legitimate and I'm worrying about nothing?

IMG_4163.JPG

2. ConElPueblo Oct 21, 2016

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 21, 2016

Well, the minute hands on those models do extend a touch beyond the track, though yours looks a touch exaggerated in length. My bigger concern would be that both hand appear to be flat, while they should have a line bisecting them down the middle, and angle slightly downward. I can't really tell for sure from the photo, so please confirm, or add another image.

Regards,

Tony C.

Edward53 and chronos like this.
  4. Edward53 Oct 21, 2016

Thanks for that information Tony. I can confirm that the hands are in fact flat. Does this make them wrong for the model? And if so, what's the chance of finding replacements in NOS condition?

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 21, 2016

Hmmm...I would say that they are incorrect.

I own one, and have owned another gold Genève, and own quite a few in steel. All are from the early period, like yours, and none have flat hands.

In terms of NOS, I wouldn't know, though it is possible that there are some out there.

Can you post any other photos of the case and/or movement? I ask because I may have some further thoughts...

6. Edward53 Oct 21, 2016

I'll have a go, the light has gone here and my camera battery is very low but I'll see what I can do!

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 21, 2016

No rush.

8. tdn-dk Oct 21, 2016

For hands comparison

IMG_2238.JPG

Dr No and Edward53 like this.
  9. Edward53 Oct 21, 2016

These are the best I can do. I haven't any movement photos as the seller didn't have any and I decided to gamble. I don't have the tools or the ability to remove the back. I presume this is a 267. The case is marked 9 and 375 so 9 carat. There aren't any signs on the caseback of it ever being opened, so either it's never been opened or someone did so with great care and skill.

IMG_4166.JPG IMG_4168.JPG IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4170.JPG

10. Edward53 Oct 21, 2016

I see that this one here seems to have the identical case so I'm now thinking mine is probably also a Dennison. It also seems to have flat hands, not that this counts for a lot when a shop is selling something but an image search for 267 Omega Geneve brings up a small minority of other 9ct gold cases with what look to be flat hands. I'm now wondering if the Dennison case has anything to do with this. Might these hands have been supplied by Dennison along with the case?

Edited Oct 21, 2016
  11. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 21, 2016

I will defer to Tony on this, but I had 3 of these. One had flat hands and the other 2 were faceted.

12. Edward53 Oct 21, 2016

Thanks Joe, I saw your post in another Geneve thread with the black dial and I thought the hands looked pretty similar to mine. Sounds like you no longer have these watches - do you recall if the one with flat hands had a Dennison case? I think they also made these in stainless steel but I'm not certain.

I'm really curious about all this, because a few other Geneves seem to have these hands, perhaps replaced, I don't know, but this particular watch is in such good condition that there seems no obvious reason why anyone would put new hands on it. I'm leaning towards keeping it whatever the outcome and doing nothing to it in the immediate future.

13. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 21, 2016

I still have 2 of the 3, both are ref 2754 (so not Dennison cases). I'll try and find pictures on my home computer.

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 21, 2016

I suppose that it is possible that a different hands set was supplied for the Dennison cased versions. I've never owned one.

Here's one with flat hands, though they look a bit off to me:

https://www.poshtime.com/497.165/Omega-Geneve-9ct-Gold-c.1956.php

And another:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-GEN...-CIRCA-1956-/361729014252?hash=item5438bab9ecPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

That could be an explanation for why they are uncommon, assuming originality. Perhaps there was an inside joke in Bienne, along the lines of: "Those British are so boring, perhaps we can get rid of these flat hands that have been sitting for years in the parts department, and they won't even notice!"

Edited Oct 21, 2016
    Jwit likes this.
  15. Edward53 Oct 21, 2016

I saw those, also this one which is also a Dennison. There are others scattered around the Internet, some redials etc no doubt but it seems strange that quite a few in otherwise good condition have the flat hands.

I can just hear those Swiss jokes about the Brits. "Those British! They're so boring, their cheese doesn't even have holes in it!"

Jwit likes this.
  16. heavenscloud Oct 21, 2016

Ref. 2903/cal. 268 (c. 1959-60) with "Fab. Suisse Swiss Made R/" case and flat hands (minute hand is shorter than the one on your watch):
    OmegaGeneveRef2903 036.JPG

I have a ref. 2981/cal. 491 (c. 1958) that has flat hands as well. In fact, the vast majority (if not all) the 2981s I've seen have flat hands....

Edited Oct 21, 2016
  17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 21, 2016

The cal. 491 2981 was a late version of this (script) model, so I think of it as being in a different category. However, it is true that they featured flat hands.

18. Edward53 Oct 22, 2016

Here's a 9ct 267 with a very long minute hand and what look like flat hands, though from that photo I can't be sure.

I've decided to keep this watch. The overall condition is very good, the dial is nothing short of remarkable and early Geneves are now extremely difficult to find in good order. I'm veering strongly to the opinion that the hands are original to it and if it turns out they're not, I can live with them until suitable replacements turn up - if ever. I might never know for sure, but that goes with the territory when you collect anything vintage. It's a lovely watch either way - and Mrs. E has been casting covetous eyes upon it!

ahartfie and Joe K. like this.
  19. Edward53 Nov 2, 2016

Bringing this thread back because here's another 9ct Geneve with flat hands. Everything has the same "sleepy" look of untouched age.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162242771683?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm now convinced that flat hands are a typical original feature of early Geneves in 9ct Denison cases. Being for the UK market would account for their rarity in the US. Here's a photo from the listing for reference.

ebay geneve.jpg

Vitezi likes this.
  20. heavenscloud Nov 3, 2016

Flat hands may be a feature of the late 50s Geneves (cal. 267/268) and not specific to the Dennison-cased watches.

MajorCindy likes this.