Forums Latest Members
  1. shishy www.hpmor.com Jan 5, 2021

Hello and happy new year, OFers :)

As I was poking around old posts, I noticed one of my favorite independent brands isn't discussed as much here! So naturally I thought I'd make a thread in case there are other enthusiasts.

I've long admired them the brand, and the couple behind it. Here's a talk from them at HSNY if you haven't had the chance to see it yet:

In my mind their watches aren't really "out there" in designs, but rather just incredibly well executed (and high quality) classical designs.

It took me a while to pull the trigger, but seeing their collaboration with William Massena last year was enough to make me go "hell yes". I thought it was modern perfection, clearly inspired by the Patek 96 but upgraded well for modern tastes. It also blew the Lab01 out of the water (the black / copper dial didn't do it for me).

I missed out on the batch of 50 when it was announced, but with the help of a fellow OF member, managed to acquire one in the end.

All in all, a great start to 2021.

C990EF2E-C713-46F4-A643-7AD56470A91D.JPG

The dial is superb, with vertical brushing at the center and concentric rings outside.

D0FD1ACD-2780-474E-9D14-2B3DB5C2739A.JPG

The step case is 38.5mm (and ~10.5mm thick), and ticking inside is Habring's manual-wind A11s deadbeat seconds movement. I know people compare these to quartz movements, but the deadbeat seconds complication (which came before quartz) is awesome and I think criminally underappreciated.

Wears very well on the wrist, too!

IMG_5936.jpg

Do share yours if you've got one!

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. MTROIS Jan 5, 2021

I had the privilege to handle some of their watches in the metal at the very HSNY meeting for which you linked the video above. Amazing watches and craftsmanship for sure!! :thumbsup:

Wear yours in good health.

shishy likes this.
  3. pongster Jan 6, 2021

4. François Pépin Jan 6, 2021

Hi,

Thank you for this thread! I did not know this brand. Would you have closer pics of the movements so as to appreciate the finishing?

Cheers,
    François

shishy likes this.
  5. shishy www.hpmor.com Jan 6, 2021

Hi François,

I can photograph mine later, but in the interim, here is a high res shot from an article in WatchesBySJX in this article. I do think that it could be better decorated, but to be honest at this price point -- for the level of craftsmanship in the dial and case, as well as the fact that it's a proper deadbeat seconds complication -- I'm not complaining =).

https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/08/habring2-massena-lab-erwin-lab02.html

sjx_habring_lab02.jpg

Edited Jan 6, 2021
    Ron_W, alefar and François Pépin like this.
  6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 6, 2021

I first heard of this brand a few years back and always thought they deserved to do well. I really like the look of their product.

shishy likes this.
  7. François Pépin Jan 6, 2021

Thanks!

8. Shay Jan 8, 2021

Nice watches! Can someone explain what do they mean whey they say that their movements are modular?

9. alefar Jan 8, 2021

I had never heard of this brand, movements look very impressive

10. shishy www.hpmor.com Jan 9, 2021

I am sure someone more qualified than me can chime in (and correct me where I am wrong / have gaps), but the way I've generally understood it is that we have integrated and modular movements.

Integrated movements use only one mainplate, whereas a modular movement would have a primary mainplate and then additional "modules" that come on their own mainplates. The implication of this is that these "modules" can be added to other base movements to extend their functionality. This is different from integrated movements where, because everything is on one mainplate, you have to design the entire movement (with all functionality) together at once.

So for example, with a modular design, it might be easier for a watch manufacturer to offer more customization for customers (I want a power reserve, a chronograph, a date window, etc.), because they can take a simple base movement like a Valjoux 7750 (which from what I know is what Habring does), and extend it with modules (rather than having to design fully integrated movements separately for each combination of options).

I think there are implications for relative ease of service (maybe? depends?), and also for the overall thickness of the movement, and so on. Habring does a decent job keeping it compact, but admittedly I don't fully understand yet how he accomplished it.

At least that's what I know, but I am not a watchmaker (paging @Archer :whistling:).

(Sorry if I butchered something)

Shay likes this.
  11. Shay Jan 9, 2021

Maybe a naive question. But would watches like these from independent brand and in-house movement make it harder to service in the future if the company close down?

12. pongster Feb 14, 2021

13. spin_transistor Feb 14, 2021

Probably, but likely depends on the independent brand.

Habring has the very practical and modular approach to his designs that were originally based on Valjoux movements, so I bet a well trained watchmaker could perform a service.

14. NT931 Feb 14, 2021

Habring2 watches are pretty awesome!

Used to own an Erwin Scientific, sold it, regretted it...
    wristscan_5263406.jpg

Then a Habring2 TZ21 came along, and I grabbed it, and still own it :)
    76FC7417-EB86-48E3-B2AF-4C30CD53729A.jpeg

I love their jumping seconds complication, their size, and their wonderful customer service. Maria is warm and engaging, and makes you feel like a special member of their Habring2 family. Certainly a style of customer service that many big brands cannot match!

Ron_W and Robert M like this.
  15. Ron_W Mar 15, 2021

Habring makes really great watches and is open to small numbers of special orders like this one i had, crown operated chronograph and really cool but just alittle to big for me in the end. The Scientific shown above is now very tempting to me !

Habring2 for CronotempVs III (1).jpg

16. MTROIS Jan 5, 2022

Where are the Habring2 lovers!?!?

17. tigertom Jan 7, 2022

Here we go…

84CB3EDA-6658-4661-A8B6-5EA074646F3D.jpeg

marco and Ron_W like this.
  18. Ron_W Jan 7, 2022

Lovely watch @tigertom , many congratulations !

tigertom likes this.
  19. jhross98 Jan 7, 2022

i love habring. have owned 3 but they have been too big/thick to keep. literally DYING to find that monochrome habring collaboration piece though. . just missed it and the one that sold recently at S. Song watches. the coolest piece i think they have ever made

great independent brand and great to see them getting more press

tigertom likes this.
  20. dsacks30 Jan 13, 2022

Enjoying my Habring x SJX Erwin Star!

B2C4F55F-31AB-49A8-9792-79410AD7BBAD.jpeg

tigertom and shishy like this.